Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Accor Status timeframe - cut/paste response

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, BA EC, Delta, Hilton, Accor, IHG

Happy New Year to all.

Rather disappointed with a template response received from Accor to a recent question after several weeks wait and wondered if it is really such an unreasonable request... Maybe the Accor Concierge here can assist.

My OH recently moved job / hometown and as a result has become a more regular customer of Accor. In 7 weeks in the final trimester of 2017 she stayed 24 nights in Accor properties, qualifying for Silver. Whilst we know Accor work on a calendar year, we sent a request to Accor, saying that she would very much liek to attain Gold, had already reached 24 nights in a short period and asking if they would consider granting a small extension or some flexibility past the end of 2017 to reach the additional nights required for Gold - of which 3 were already booked and others planned in the first 2 months of 2018.

We first mailed (via form) at the end of November. No reply after 2+ weeks, so we resent the request. We finally received an answer on Christmas Day, but it was simply a copy-paste of the conditions for earning, of which we were already fully aware. Where references were made to her account, the details were wrong. There was no specific reference to our question. The fact that the response was sent on the morning of 25th December suggests that it was given no thought whatsoever and simply regurgitated by an outsourced call centre.

Of course we fully realise that Accor operate status on a calendar year approach, but they also have the ability to show flexibility at their discretion. Additionally, the 4-5 weeks lost before receiving a response were 4-5 weeks when we could have tried to engineer additional stays to try to make up the nights - it was a busy time office-wise and thus travel was more difficult (Yes, we could have done this anyway, but we were waiting on Accor's response and didn't want to start making trips specifically rather than staying with family etc unless we had to - try telling your mum you're coming for Christmas but staying in a hotel 20 miles away! )

So is it unreasonable to ask them for just a bit of flexibility? Of course we know they work on a calendar year and appreciate those are the rules. At the same time not everyone can choose when they move home or job and earning 24 nights in a short period and a fixed reservation 2-3 months ahead should be an indication that loyalty is being shown to Accor, leading to future custom. Is it reasonable that they take 4-5 weeks to provide a response and then do nothing more than copy pasting their T&Cs?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:20 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by britflyer1976
So is it unreasonable to ask them for just a bit of flexibility? Of course we know they work on a calendar year and appreciate those are the rules. At the same time not everyone can choose when they move home or job and earning 24 nights in a short period and a fixed reservation 2-3 months ahead should be an indication that loyalty is being shown to Accor, leading to future custom. Is it reasonable that they take 4-5 weeks to provide a response and then do nothing more than copy pasting their T&Cs?
Rules are rules and the system may not allow such flexibility, you would have made better use of you time and money by upgrading to gold earlier through the various low cost instant status methods.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
I think it is quite reasonable to ask (and they probably get a lot of requests). But, then, it is also reasonable for them to say no.

On the other hand, they could have taken less time to do so!
Firsttime4me2 and Goldorak like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markis10
Rules are rules and the system may not allow such flexibility, you would have made better use of you time and money by upgrading to gold earlier through the various low cost instant status methods.

Thanks for the reply. I completely agree - I guess I just had a higher expectation from Accor where customer service was concerned - whether handling them within the 48 hour window they themselves commit to or a random call centre worker simply reading the first couple of lines and providing a template request which wasn't even entirely relevant to the original request.
I have to admit that I didn't really look into the instant status methods you mention as we were trying to do it the "regular" way first. I guess you mean the Business Card? Or did you have something else in mind?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by perthite
I think it is quite reasonable to ask (and they probably get a lot of requests). But, then, it is also reasonable for them to say no.
On the other hand, they could have taken less time to do so!
Thanks for the reply.
Indeed - they commit to a 48 hour reply but don't deliver (twice). And yes, they have every right to say no. Which of course would be accepted. Bu the preference would be that they say no to the request itself, rather than providing a generic answer.
Had hoped that AccorHotels Concierge may have an opinion on this, but seems they're not around at the moment
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:01 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Thanks for the reply. I completely agree - I guess I just had a higher expectation from Accor where customer service was concerned - whether handling them within the 48 hour window they themselves commit to or a random call centre worker simply reading the first couple of lines and providing a template request which wasn't even entirely relevant to the original request.
I have to admit that I didn't really look into the instant status methods you mention as we were trying to do it the "regular" way first. I guess you mean the Business Card? Or did you have something else in mind?
Emphasis mine
This is where you are wrong. Accor has a very poor customer service. Set your expectations to the lowest: they are late, do not respond to the points, know nothing about the program.

Last edited by fransknorge; Jan 8, 2018 at 8:46 am
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:19 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I'm wondering what happened to the drive of wanting John Paul to take over their CS... Seems nothing has happened.
starflyergold, Goldorak and tris06 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
tl;dr

I'd suggest buying the ibis business card. It gives you gold right away for EUR 90.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:22 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
The Ibis card is the cheapest from memory, 90 euro.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA, CX, SQ, Accor, IHG
Not quite on topic here, but has anyone had any luck getting a short extension to the qualifying year? My mistake, clearly, but managed to miss retaining plat by a few hundred status points. Highly irritating, had I spotted it in advance I would of course have done something about it!

Anyone had any luck with this sort of thing?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:50 am

Happy New Year to all.

Rather disappointed with a template response received from Accor to a recent question after several weeks wait and wondered if it is really such an unreasonable request... Maybe the Accor Concierge here can assist.

My OH recently moved job / hometown and as a result has become a more regular customer of Accor. In 7 weeks in the final trimester of 2017 she stayed 24 nights in Accor properties, qualifying for Silver. Whilst we know Accor work on a calendar year, we sent a request to Accor, saying that she would very much liek to attain Gold, had already reached 24 nights in a short period and asking if they would consider granting a small extension or some flexibility past the end of 2017 to reach the additional nights required for Gold - of which 3 were already booked and others planned in the first 2 months of 2018.

We first mailed (via form) at the end of November. No reply after 2+ weeks, so we resent the request. We finally received an answer on Christmas Day, but it was simply a copy-paste of the conditions for earning, of which we were already fully aware. Where references were made to her account, the details were wrong. There was no specific reference to our question. The fact that the response was sent on the morning of 25th December suggests that it was given no thought whatsoever and simply regurgitated by an outsourced call centre.

Of course we fully realise that Accor operate status on a calendar year approach, but they also have the ability to show flexibility at their discretion. Additionally, the 4-5 weeks lost before receiving a response were 4-5 weeks when we could have tried to engineer additional stays to try to make up the nights - it was a busy time office-wise and thus travel was more difficult (Yes, we could have done this anyway, but we were waiting on Accor's response and didn't want to start making trips specifically rather than staying with family etc unless we had to - try telling your mum you're coming for Christmas but staying in a hotel 20 miles away! )

Unfortunately copy and pasting part of the rules seems to be their usual approach when replying as I always get this kind of response back and forth a few times before someone actually read my enquiry and reply.

Being the 1st year they use calendar year approach and my experience with them so far, I highly doubt they plan to give any flexibility at the moment.

Originally Posted by Hotcat1970
Not quite on topic here, but has anyone had any luck getting a short extension to the qualifying year? My mistake, clearly, but managed to miss retaining plat by a few hundred status points. Highly irritating, had I spotted it in advance I would of course have done something about it!

My guess is above, but if you can manage to get some stays before Jul 1 at Fairmont (5 stays) or swissotel (20 nights), you will be able to get platinum all the way until the end of 2019 by combining the status with one of those program and Accor gold. I think that might be a better bet.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hotcat1970

You're actually completely on topic - that's exactly what we were asking them for
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:01 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I'm wondering what happened to the drive of wanting John Paul to take over their CS... Seems nothing has happened.
It seems so. I just got out of a 50 minutes phone call with CS which is the last straw as far as I am concerned. This was for really simple issues: 2 badges earned first then not credited properly (and those are the high value ones 3000 + 800 pts), then the badges were credited with the wrong amount of points. The second issue is missing point for a stay. Sorry for bragging but I am head of support for my company and we pride ourselves in delivering good customer support, which I know we do thanks to customer feedback. We achieve this by simply doing the basic rights: answer on time and to the points, with a relevant answer. This is all and our customers told us they are so used to bad support that by doing this, we exceed expectations.
This phone call did nothing of that and I eventually got my missing points for the stay, but not for the badges. And I will not even blame the poor agent: she is clearly undertrained and not help by a stupid system and probably bad management.
So this is it. I have 4 stays planned in 2018 and I will not book any one more until Accor actually shows some positive changes and get their act together: better IT, better Customer Service, more severity towards hotels making their own rules. Hilton is now my preferred chain when I can, and I have registered at Club Carlson and IHG and already booked 6 stays between those 2 chains that would otherwise got to Accor. Obviously I will not recommend them anymore either.
By ignoring customers you lose them.
1flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.