Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Bangkok hotel advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:25 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
The Sofitel Sukhumvit is nice, but long walk from BTS.
the Novotel Siam Sq is my favorite, great location, premiere rooms renovated to current Novotel design, nice lounge at ground floor, price usually a lot lower than Sofitel.
Novotel S20 is far to BTS, service is mediocre, lounge with limited service
Mercure Siam is good budget option - they have a small, but nice lounge with outdoor space
1flyer likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: ALL
Originally Posted by Fyd
the last time I stayed there some months ago the Sofitel was still located 150m away from both Nana and Asok BTS stations. Not really what I would refer to as a long walk.
wkndtraveler and kaffir76 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by martin_paris
the last time I stayed there some months ago the Sofitel was still located 150m away from both Nana and Asok BTS stations. Not really what I would refer to as a long walk.
Agreed. I was surprised reading Fyd saying it was a long walk from BTS.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Probably after a day of walking, 150m is a long walk.😂
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:15 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
compared to the Mercure Siam (which is at the bottom of the BTS stairs) and the Novotel Siam Sq (through mall) it is far!
Being in the middle of Nana ant Adobe, its about as far as it can be from the stations and further than Gr Sheraton, Westin or Gr Centre Point....
...it's all relative at 40c or in heavy rain...
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Talking Excellent choice

Originally Posted by 1flyer
Thanks all for the suggestions! I surely keep some of those in mind for the next trip.

It was a tough decision as prices were very close together and convincing arguments were made in favor of multiple properties. I ended up booking a few days in the Sofitel Sukhumvit.
On the return (only one day in BKK), I went with the Mercure Sukhumvit 11.
You'll have an awesome stay at the Sofitel, which I find to be better (IMO) than Sofitel So - which is too OTT for my taste but both have excellent staff as well as awful traffic outside the hotel.
The clientele of Sofitel So is the younger set & on my last stay in Apr. some hi so kids were having a party in the room above mine & were making so much noise that I had to call the duty manager & his solution was to move me (to a So Studio or So Suite, which was nice) & drown me in Prosecco at midnight .. LOL

#Perhaps after your stay, you could do a quick review of the Mercure S11, not an often discussed property here, I think.

Originally Posted by Fyd
the Novotel Siam Sq is my favorite, great location, premiere rooms renovated to current Novotel design, nice lounge at ground floor, price usually a lot lower than Sofitel.
Novotel S20 is far to BTS, service is mediocre, lounge with limited service
Mercure Siam is good budget option - they have a small, but nice lounge with outdoor space
Chuckling at the comment about the long walk from BTS - you'll get from station to station faster by walking instead of waiting in traffic at most times o' the day
I've strangely never stayed at the Novotel Siam Sq. I think because in my mind it's an older hotel ...
Yes Novotel S20 is terrible, please don't stay there
Lastly, Mercure Siam is a fine hotel but the lounge is so terribly small that sometimes during happy hour or breakfast, I wonder if we are better off not having it.

Last edited by kaffir76; Dec 8, 2017 at 7:23 am Reason: Mercure S11 = $ (if u know what I mean)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:59 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
We're planning five nights in Bangkok at the end of the year. It will be our first time there, so I'd appreciate guidance from experts here. At the moment we're tending towards the Sofitel Sukhumvit, although reports in the dedicated property thread are somewhat mixed. Would that be a good choice, or do people with relatively recent experience have a different recommendation? We won't be booking the cheapest room and have LCAH Platinum status.

A lounge would be nice (mainly as a place to relax for an hour between activities). Being able to make coffee in our room is a must. Our stay will include 31 December and we don't want to find ourselves in a property that tries to strong-arm guests into paying for gala dinners, festive buffets or similar nonsense (e.g. by closing the lounge).

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:05 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by IMH
We're planning five nights in Bangkok at the end of the year. It will be our first time there, so I'd appreciate guidance from experts here. At the moment we're tending towards the Sofitel Sukhumvit, although reports in the dedicated property thread are somewhat mixed. Would that be a good choice, or do people with relatively recent experience have a different recommendation? We won't be booking the cheapest room and have LCAH Platinum status.

A lounge would be nice (mainly as a place to relax for an hour between activities). Being able to make coffee in our room is a must. Our stay will include 31 December and we don't want to find ourselves in a property that tries to strong-arm guests into paying for gala dinners, festive buffets or similar nonsense (e.g. by closing the lounge).

Thanks in advance!
Sofitel Sukhumvit is a great hotel with a good location. Lounge is beautiful, but the food in it is poor. Your status will get you breakfast in the restaurant.

Great choice!
IMH likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:05 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
Originally Posted by IMH

Thanks in advance!
Sofitel Sukhumvit is a good choice! Good location and good service IMO. I myself only stay there these days whenever I am in BKK. Honestly, the basic rooms are good enough, unless you are going for a suite. Then get a suite with a Jacuzzi in the Balcony. If not, don't waste your money getting a garden view room since no matter what you book, you will get access to the lounge. I'm not too sure if the basic rooms have an espresso machine since every time I stay there, I get upgraded. But if I recall my stay from 2013, I believe they did since they didn't upgrade me then.
IMH likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Nana station is over 200 meter and Asoke station over 400 meters from Sofitel Sukhumvit. And walkway can be pretty crowded
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:44 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Sofitel Sukhumvit is a great hotel with a good location.
Originally Posted by cocoleolol
Sofitel Sukhumvit is a good choice!
Thank you for your thoughts! I hope we won't be regarded as perverse and ungrateful, but we've booked the Novotel Ploenchit. The comments upthread were positive, the lounge looks good and the price differential for the Sofitel was rather hefty.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
Nana station is over 200 meter and Asoke station over 400 meters from Sofitel Sukhumvit. And walkway can be pretty crowded
Being nit-picky here, but it's a 3-minute walk to Nana and 5-minute walk to Asoke BTS. Yes, some hotels are closer (like the SGS) but what's a 3-minute walk unless one is handicapped?

Originally Posted by IMH
Thank you for your thoughts! I hope we won't be regarded as perverse and ungrateful, but we've booked the Novotel Ploenchit. The comments upthread were positive, the lounge looks good and the price differential for the Sofitel was rather hefty.
Indeed, rooms at the Sofitel are usually >50% more expensive than the Novotel, so your choice is rational. I like both properties a lot and if I don't plan to spend much time in the room or in the lounge, also book the Novotel quite often.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:45 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
For a first timer the Ploenchit lounge is actually very nice. Outdoor sitting area with view of Sukhumvit.
IMH likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
For a first timer the Ploenchit lounge is actually very nice. Outdoor sitting area with view of Sukhumvit.
you see mainly the traffic jams on the expressway, the skytrain and the high rise building of Ploenchit, Wireless, Chidlom and lowest Sukhumvit
anyway, Novotel Ploenchit is good value for money and great location, skytrain station just in front of the hotel and many restaurants and shopping centers within Walking distance
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:35 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

I would prefer Sofitel ambience than the Novotel. Seems very plain on the pictures especially the suites.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.