Wiki Posts
Search

Does it matter who pays?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
Does it matter who pays?

I've been an Accor Plat for a few years now and should just about qualify again for next year, through my spend this calendar year - which is all personal and leisure related.

Looking ahead if someone else pays my Accor booking and subsequent hotel account will I still get the credit for status and reward points?

Would it make any difference whether that person was also staying on the same booking?

In other words - does Accor really mind who actually pays the hotel that I booked?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
As far as I know, what matters is the booking channel and the LCAH number linked to your stay. Doesn't matter if the credit card name is yours or someone else's.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:07 am
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
The criteria for points earning is:

An eligible rate
Via an eligible booking channel
with the member staying at the hotel

Le Club T & C's do not require the member to actually pay rather than a 3rd party.

to contrast

An eligible rate
via an eligible booking channel
Paid by the member
but without the member being one of the guests isn't a points earning stay (at least according to Le Club T & C's although hotels don't always strictly follow the T & C's.)
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AccorPlus Plat
Originally Posted by cwl
to contrast...

An eligible rate
via an eligible booking channel
Paid by the member
but without the member being one of the guests isn't a points earning stay (at least according to Le Club T & C's although hotels don't always strictly follow the T & C's.)
Any ideas which establishments don't always follow the T&C's? Jakarta based ones could really come in handy as weekend break gifts for my in-laws.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
Thanks for the above comments. I'll let you know in due course what happens!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If the person who paid isn't staying with you then sometimes the hotel requires a signed copy of the credit card used, scanned and sent by email. But this seems to depend on the country.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:37 pm
cwl

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Originally Posted by Firsttime4me2
Any ideas which establishments don't always follow the T&C's? Jakarta based ones could really come in handy as weekend break gifts for my in-laws.
Rather than particular hotels having a policy not to follow T & C's some hotels simply don't check who guests checking in or staying are.

My experience is European properties are rarely concerned about who actually stays as long as they get paid.

Asian hotels are generally more fussy requesting passports and even occasionally asking to see a Le Club membership card at checkin.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by cwl
My experience is European properties are rarely concerned about who actually stays as long as they get paid.
It much depends on the country. In Europe, I have in mind :
- Italy and Spain who systematically ask for an ID (unless they already gave the info in their system if you already stayed in the hotel) because they need to report all foreigners (including EU citizens) to a kind of government office
- Russia, in link with your visa
- etc
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Wow I didn't realize this was possible. Seems very lax. It would be very easy to qualify for platinum then - just have friends planning to stay at Accor hotels book under your name.

SPG requires that the person who reserved the room to at the very least show up at front desk. I haven't heard about Hilton or Marriott but I'm guessing they also require this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:01 am
cwl

Originally Posted by Goldorak
It much depends on the country. In Europe, I have in mind :
- Italy and Spain who systematically ask for an ID (unless they already gave the info in their system if you already stayed in the hotel) because they need to report all foreigners (including EU citizens) to a kind of government office
- Russia, in link with your visa
- etc
Agreed.

I should qualify my comment "rarely concerned" to some hotels don't ask for documentary proof of who you are at check in, instead assume you are the person on the booking.

If you don't stay yourself you shouldn't expect points but you may be fortunate in countries where provision of official ID to the hotel isn't requested at checkin.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:30 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
When we booked part of a stay in Hong Kong there was some confusion over who was staying as when we paid there was no box for name on card and the card is my husband's, was told if he wasn't staying then we needed a bank statement, credit card details and our marriage certificate, he was staying so it wasn't an issue but he wasn't particularly amused by it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.