Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Review of MGallery Santa Tereza Hotel - Rio de Janeiro

Old Feb 11, 17, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

Santa Teresa Hotel - MGallery Collection by Sofitel

Rua Almirante Alexandrino 660 Rio de Janeiro, BR 20241260

Review of MGallery Santa Teresa Hotel - Rio de Janeiro (41 Photos)

Santa Teresa Hotel - MGallery Collection by Sofitel

IMG_2947.JPGWP_20170203_11_35_33_Pro.jpg

A stay that I could qualified as top notch all the way in a beautiful boutique hotel which joined Accor MGallery network about a year ago (very good idea from them !). I had to choose between this hotel and the Sofitel Copacabana and Caesar Park on Ipanema. Those 2 hotels have mixed reviews on this forum and on TA (I believe the Sofitel has just started a renovation). Add to this the bad lounge policy for Platinum members at the Sofitel, I have finally choosen the MGallery santa Teresa and I don’t regret it at all.

To the very nice hotel, you add good staff, an excellent restaurant and a perfect platinum treatment and you obtain a great stay and a very happy customer as a result.

The hotel has only 44 rooms and is located in the Santa Teresa area/hill. For those of you who have never been to Rio, this is a quiet residential area with a boheme village atmosphere. A kind of Montmartre in a more exotic form of course (and much warmer in february J ). From Santa Teresa, you are never far from anywhere but in a quiet neighborhood so you feel very far from the « crazyness » of Ipanema or Copacabana.

The lobby and corridor to my room:

IMG_2795.JPGIMG_2796.JPGIMG_2797.JPGIMG_2825.JPG

Check In

I have requested before my arrival an early check-in because I was arriving in GIG at around 8 am on the AF flight from CDG. The hotel responded that they could not guarantee it but that they would do their best and that, as a platinum member, I would have the priority. Arrived at the hotel, the early check-in was granted along with a double upgrade to a junior suite (from a superior room booked). Staff was very kind and helpful to give hints for visiting the city. Drink voucher was given at check-in (spontaneously).

Room

The room was really lovely. To be honest, I don’t know if it really qualifies as a junior suite because it doesn’t have a separate living room area, but it doesn’t really matter as it was a nice room. The bed was huge. The room has a safe, an espresso machine, a minibar containing only free mineral water. There was a balcony with 2 armchairs and a hamac and a nice view on Santa Teresa hills. Very peaceful !

IMG_2810.JPGIMG_2811.JPGIMG_2812.JPGIMG_2813.JPGIMG_2814.JPGIMG_2815.JPGIMG_2822.JPGIMG_2821.JPG

A welcome gift was placed on the bed : two pairs of flip flop shoes !

fullsizeoutput_7523.jpegfullsizeoutput_7524.jpeg

The bathroom had a bathtub with a rain shower. Toiletry products were L’Occitane. Separate toilets.

IMG_2816.JPGIMG_2817.JPGIMG_2818.JPGIMG_2819.JPG

Garden and Pool

The outdoor parts of the hotels include a garden, with the pool and the pool bar.

IMG_2826.JPGIMG_2827.JPGIMG_2828.JPGIMG_2829.JPGIMG_2830.JPGIMG_2831.JPGIMG_2833.JPG

I used my drink voucher there for a very good Cahipirinha. Cheers J

IMG_2941.JPG

The view on Rio from the pool deck

IMG_2832.JPG

Dining

The hotel restaurant is called Térèze and that’s were you have breakfast. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner and is an excellent gastronomic restaurant. You can trust me when I say that because I am French J. I had a great dinner during my stay. It is open for outside customers of course.

The breakfast was of good quality with a buffet and a menu was available to order warm (eggs of all sorts, pancakes, etc) and additional cold items (cheese, smoked salmon, etc).

IMG_2860.JPGIMG_2861.JPGIMG_2862.JPGIMG_2863.JPGIMG_2864.JPGIMG_2865.JPGIMG_2866.JPG

There is another bar in the hotel which opens when the pool bar is closing. Looks very nice but I haven’t been.

Overall

I requested a late check-out at 2 pm which was granted without problem. Check-out formalities were promptly expedited and the points posted correctly within 48 hrs.

Overall a 0 problem stay, in a beautiful hotel whith a perfect application of LCAH rules. No need to beg for anything. All was spontaneously proposed in a very kind and professional way.

So a highly (++++) recommendable Accor place to stay in Rio. I would return without hesitating a second.

WP_20160330_16_26_38_Pro.jpg

P1090284.JPGP1090306.JPGIMG_2915.JPGP1090379.JPG

Review of MGallery Santa Teresa Hotel - Rio de Janeiro

Would you like to write a review on the Santa Teresa Hotel - MGallery Collection by Sofitel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 11, 17, 10:54 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Wonderful review Monsieur Goldorak ​​​​​​!
Old Feb 11, 17, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gilbertaue View Post
Wonderful review Monsieur Goldorak ​​​​​​!
Merci Monsieur Gilbertaue
Old Feb 11, 17, 11:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Kulta (OW Sapphire), FB, SBB GA, Bonvoy Gold, ACCOR, Coop card, Aligro Card, Porsche Club Suisse
FANTASTIC review mon cher Goldorak as always... The great thing about reading your reviews is that you always get it right and the recommendations I got from you over the ladt many years have always been spot on ^

Great to see L'Occitan products (my all time favourite).

Thanks for sharing...
Old Feb 11, 17, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Cupart View Post
FANTASTIC review mon cher Goldorak as always... The great thing about reading your reviews is that you always get it right and the recommendations I got from you over the ladt many years have always been spot on ^

Great to see L'Occitan products (my all time favourite).

Thanks for sharing...
thank you for your comments my dear Cupart
Old Mar 30, 17, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
I stayed at this property 4 or 5 times in recent year when it was still a relais and chateaux, I can't stress enough how great this property is, starting from the hotel staff,

On my last stays they upgraded us from a junior suite to the presidential suite, it is definitely in the top 3 stays in any hotel we had with my wife, fantastic property in a fantastic neighbourhood
Old Dec 28, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, LH / *A Gold, BA Bronze
I stayed here before last Christmas with my girlfriend for a few couple of days and I think it is a beautiful property with beautiful rooms like in movies, I think it is an old coffee farm and they have really preserved the vibe. I just returned to Flyertalk after some time so wanted to leave my experiences here. Watch the music video of "Beautiful" by Snoop Dogg and Pharrell Williams and it will look like that. Breakfast is also really great, while not the largest selection the quality is top notch.

The one thing that bothered me personally though is the violence in the area. We never experienced anything physical ourselves, but one night we heard a few gun shots right below us on the street (we were sitting in the bar of the hotel at night and the barkeeper waved at us to move away from the balcony) and at night you hear heavy gunshots from the favela close by to the West. We did walk back from the famous stairs (Escadaria Selaron) and met one of the hotel concierges on the way - otherwise, it was a deserted walk at day time like 3pm and right below the street the favela starts. Not sure what I was thinking and I would not do the walk again - we were really asking to get robbed, but somehow nobody approached us on the way, so we got lucky.

Having said that, all of this was about a year ago, maybe the situation has improved by now. Taking Uber in and out was safe and if you stay at the hotel it really is a beautiful property. As a plus, you can use the beach of the other Sofitel down in Leblon area, they will provide you with towels etc. if you tell them that you are coming from the other Sofitel in Santa Tereza.
Old Dec 28, 19, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Frab1 View Post
I stayed here before last Christmas with my girlfriend for a few couple of days and I think it is a beautiful property with beautiful rooms like in movies, I think it is an old coffee farm and they have really preserved the vibe. I just returned to Flyertalk after some time so wanted to leave my experiences here. Watch the music video of "Beautiful" by Snoop Dogg and Pharrell Williams and it will look like that. Breakfast is also really great, while not the largest selection the quality is top notch.

The one thing that bothered me personally though is the violence in the area. We never experienced anything physical ourselves, but one night we heard a few gun shots right below us on the street (we were sitting in the bar of the hotel at night and the barkeeper waved at us to move away from the balcony) and at night you hear heavy gunshots from the favela close by to the West. We did walk back from the famous stairs (Escadaria Selaron) and met one of the hotel concierges on the way - otherwise, it was a deserted walk at day time like 3pm and right below the street the favela starts. Not sure what I was thinking and I would not do the walk again - we were really asking to get robbed, but somehow nobody approached us on the way, so we got lucky.

Having said that, all of this was about a year ago, maybe the situation has improved by now. Taking Uber in and out was safe and if you stay at the hotel it really is a beautiful property. As a plus, you can use the beach of the other Sofitel down in Leblon area, they will provide you with towels etc. if you tell them that you are coming from the other Sofitel in Santa Tereza.
WOW...this is really bad. I certainly didn't experience that when I stayed there and I walked around without any issue (during the day of course). My stay in this hotel was almost 3 years ago and I am hearing regularly from my local colleagues that the safety situation in Rio is getting worse and worse and your post seems to confirm this.
To come back to the hotel, this is truly a great property and you seems to have enjoyed it as much as I did.

Search this Thread