Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Le Club Accorhotel points from Economist Subscription

Le Club Accorhotel points from Economist Subscription

Old Nov 22, 16, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, SPG, LeClub
Question Le Club Accorhotel points from Economist Subscription

Does anyone know if the 1,500 points or 2,000 points from subscribing to Economist count towards the status points this year?

I am currently short of 800 points to reach Gold although I have a reservation with Mama Shelter on 31-Dec in LA (x4 bonus points but am not sure if that will count for this qualification year or not and would rather not run de risk of missing it). Does anyone have any suggestion on reaching that 800 points?

Many thanks.
Old Nov 22, 16, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Any points under the current system contribute to status. From next year only paid stays at hotels will contribute.
Old Nov 22, 16, 6:36 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor & IHG Plat; Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by klimike View Post
Does anyone know if [...] points from subscribing to Economist count towards the status points this year?
They would count, as starflyergold suggests, if they posted this year or were recognised by LCAH as 'belonging' to this year. Give that it's late November I wouldn't want to rely on that happening. (Airline miles from Economist offers can take 6+ weeks to post.)

I am currently short of 800 points to reach Gold
One or more of these might help you:

Facebook 'Places'

eRewards

Club Opinions
Old Nov 23, 16, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for the answer. Will try out Club Opinions but I have been excluded from eRewards quite a few times already as they have surveyed enough people like me.
Old Nov 23, 16, 1:16 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor & IHG Plat; Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
I have been excluded [...] as they have surveyed enough people like me.
I've heard that some people solve this problem by being less like themselves.
Old Nov 23, 16, 6:13 pm

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Does anyone know if the 1,500 points or 2,000 points from subscribing to Economist count towards the status points this year?

I am currently short of 800 points to reach Gold although I have a reservation with Mama Shelter on 31-Dec in LA (x4 bonus points but am not sure if that will count for this qualification year or not and would rather not run de risk of missing it). Does anyone have any suggestion on reaching that 800 points?

Many thanks.
From your profile I'm guessing you're based in Europe. I don't know if you have pondered over just staying at one of the hotels, maybe a weekend getaway? There is still yet a bit over one month to make 800 points - with your silver status that would come down to 800/3.1 = 258.07 euros.

If you can make a stay in France, you can benefit from the current promo "Earn 150 bonus points per night on your next stay in France and try to win a week-end!" (minimal 2-night stay) That will cut the bill to (800-2*150)/3.1 = 161.29 euros. Please note that you need to make sure you are registered for this promotion first before booking:

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/leclub...tml?xtor=AL-40

Better yet, head off to Germany or Austria and take up Accor on their "GERMANY AND AUSTRIA: TAKE A BREAK FROM DAILY LIFE" offer for 800 bonus points for a stay at a Sofitel, Pullman or MGallery (minimum of 1 night). There seems to be no registration necessary for this offer, but it seems you need to make sure you book "Cosy" or "Bonus" rate plan that states the bonus points in order to earn them.

Reference:
http://loyaltylobby.com/2016/11/12/l...ember-31-2016/
Old Nov 23, 16, 11:45 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FGunawan View Post

If you can make a stay in France, ....
10% commission for you!
Old Nov 24, 16, 12:54 am

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by gilbertaue View Post
10% commission for you!
Ssshhhh!
Old Dec 13, 16, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FGunawan View Post
From your profile I'm guessing you're based in Europe. I don't know if you have pondered over just staying at one of the hotels, maybe a weekend getaway? There is still yet a bit over one month to make 800 points - with your silver status that would come down to 800/3.1 = 258.07 euros.

If you can make a stay in France, you can benefit from the current promo "Earn 150 bonus points per night on your next stay in France and try to win a week-end!" (minimal 2-night stay) That will cut the bill to (800-2*150)/3.1 = 161.29 euros. Please note that you need to make sure you are registered for this promotion first before booking:

Better yet, head off to Germany or Austria and take up Accor on their "GERMANY AND AUSTRIA: TAKE A BREAK FROM DAILY LIFE" offer for 800 bonus points for a stay at a Sofitel, Pullman or MGallery (minimum of 1 night). There seems to be no registration necessary for this offer, but it seems you need to make sure you book "Cosy" or "Bonus" rate plan that states the bonus points in order to earn them.

Reference:
http://loyaltylobby.com/2016/11/12/l...ember-31-2016/
Thank you very much - I was tempted to go to Venice in late November or December but that would mean too much travels. I also checked Germany or Austria as you suggested for a Friday or Sunday night but the flights are rather pricey.

Anyway, I just booked new hotel open x4 bonus offer in London, hopefully that works out just before year end.
Old Dec 13, 16, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IMH View Post
They would count, as starflyergold suggests, if they posted this year or were recognised by LCAH as 'belonging' to this year. Give that it's late November I wouldn't want to rely on that happening. (Airline miles from Economist offers can take 6+ weeks to post.)
I subscribed to Economist last Thursday as I missed your comments on potentially taking 6+ weeks to post. The website states it would take 4-6 weeks to post so I am cutting it too close to get the additional 711 points (e-reward just added 250 points). So I booked a bonus stay at the new Mercure for next week, probably go to Harrods that night to buy some gift cards then stay there for the night. Hopefully it works out.
Old Apr 6, 17, 8:43 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Accor Gold
New Le Club AccorHotels offer for points from Economist Subscription

The points will no longer count towards status but Le Club AccorHotels have a new Facebook post for "Earn up to 12,000 Reward points when you subscribe by May 31st 2017" with the Economist.

One issue however, there is no information provided as to what type of subscription earns what points. Given the standard earning is maximum 4,000 Avios it is likely to be 3x standard earning:

1yr digital : 1,500 x 3 = 4,500
2yr digital : 3,000 x 3 = 9,000
1yr print : 1,500 x 3 = 4,500
2yr print : 3,000 x 3 = 9,000
1yr print + digital : 2,000 x 3 = 8,000
2yr print + digital : 4,000 x 3 = 12,000

Remember that 12,000 points will get you Euro 240 of Accor vouchers.

subscription.economist.com/OA/partners/AccorT/Trpl

www.accorhotels.com/gb/leclub/partners/theeconomist-conditions.shtml

Last edited by Expat_852; Apr 6, 17 at 9:26 pm Reason: fixing spelling error and adding Accor voucher value
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Not a good deal. You can get a one-year full subscription (digital and print) for under 100€. (You just need to VPN to the right country.)

Unfortunately, they closed the loophole that you get points as well. Still, I'd rather pay under 100€ a year than ~500€ for two years + 12.000 Accor points.

(And, btw, 12.000 Accor points don't equate to 240€ cash. 2.000 Accor points are worth strictly less than 40€ cash. They're worth probably around 0.85 x 40€. You will not earn cashback or new points when you pay with points. The exception of erroneous credit proves the rule.)
Old Apr 7, 17, 3:00 am

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum | Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by fppmongo View Post
And, btw, 12.000 Accor points don't equate to 240€ cash. 2.000 Accor points are worth strictly less than 40€ cash. They're worth probably around 0.85 x 40€. You will not earn cashback or new points when you pay with points. The exception of erroneous credit proves the rule

40 Euro's is 40 Euro's, if you use the vouchers to pay for your stay you can deduct 40 Euro's per voucher. Don't understand why you think it is less.
Old Apr 7, 17, 9:46 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, SPG Platinum
Because many Accor members reside and stay outside Europe, therefore, when the hotel converts your 40 euro voucher according to the hotel's exchange rate for hard cash currency exchange, you lose at least 8% and sometimes as much as 12%. Accor should really have a policy on hotel's using a certain Forex rate for this across all hotels. Anyway, use your vouchers in the Euro zone then it's 40 Euros. By the way, I don't find earning Accor points to be good for subscribing to the Economist. Usually you can get a better deal with promotional Air Miles - I've had Asia miles in the past.
Old Apr 10, 17, 1:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Originally Posted by yorkboy24 View Post
Anyway, use your vouchers in the Euro zone then it's 40 Euros.
That's false. I'll show it formally via a proof by contradiction.

Suppose a room at a Mercure costs precisely 40 EUR. I have two options to pay for it:

1.) Using 2000 Accor points.

2.) By paying with 40 EUR in cash.

Your claim is that 2000 Accor points are worth 40 EUR. That is, your claim is that options 1. and 2. are equal. An equivalent way of expressing your claim is that one Accor point is worth 40 EUR / 2000 = 0.02 EUR.

Now, by Accor's ToC, I won't receive any status or rewards points if I choose option 1. But if I use option 2., I receive 100 Accor points (at the very least: in practice, I get more when I have status or when I can use an extra-points promo).
But 100 Accor points are worth 100 * 0.02 EUR = 2 EUR. So, if I use option 2., my total cost is 40 EUR - 2 EUR = 38 EUR. However, this is a contradiction. Option 1. isn't equal to option 2. after all!

Further introspection will reveal that an Accor point must be worth strictly less than 0.02 EUR.

EDIT:

Or, explained differently, the correct way to represent the cost of option 2. is:

40 EUR - 100 Accor points.

When paying with cash, you effectively pay less than the cash amount because you receive Accor points in return which are equivalent to some positive cash value.

Last edited by fppmongo; Apr 10, 17 at 6:47 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: