Mercure London Hyde Park

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Mercure London Hyde Park

8-14 Talbot Square London, UK GB

Mercure London Hyde Park (0 Photo)

Mercure London Hyde Park

Great refurbished hotel with great welcome

Check In

I arrived early and the room was not yet ready.  The staff were welcoming and handed me my welcome drink voucher and sat me at the bar and service was excellent.

Room

I booked a Cosy (small classic) room and was upgraded to an Executive double.

The room was slightly small and came with Nespresso and free water.  Excellent power connectivity with USB and Power by the bed and by TV.  Modern TV and bathroom with rainfall shower.

Dining

I had breakfast at the hotel and this was in a small downstairs/basement room a bit cramped but good food and not too pricey.

Service

Throughout my whole stay so far the service has been A*.

Welcoming friendly and what I hope they continue to offer (they only opened on Monday)

Overall

Great new Mercure in a good location.  Platinum member recognition was appreciated and the hotel is very modern after its refurb.

Mercure London Hyde Park

Would you like to write a review on the Mercure London Hyde Park?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Good to know. Thanks for your review.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:51 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Wanna check with everyone here. I saw some good rates on https://www.mercurehydepark.com

Wonder if i boook through the site, would i be able to accrue status and rewards points.

The hotel is not replying my emails and Facebook msgs! ��
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by cowism
Wanna check with everyone here. I saw some good rates on https://www.mercurehydepark.com
Wonder if i boook through the site, would i be able to accrue status and rewards points.
I’m pretty sure that this is an eligible booking channel for LCAH benefits. This is the website of the hotel, and direct bookings with hotel are accepted for LCAH.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:00 am
Original Poster

The only thing that would concern me is it looks like a booking.com white label more than the accor style booking site.
I would call the hotel if I was you to be sure.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Reply from the hotel is affirmative. Thanks everyone

weird it took 2 days for property to reply
uggboy likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Great.
Let us know how you like the stay/location etc.

I found the staff very attentive.
uggboy likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:47 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I booked a superior king room. Initial thoughts below:

1. Nice hotel that is in an old town house. Love the USB ports around the room. However, room advertised and actual room are different. My room was missing an armchair a bed bench
​​​​​​2. Breakfast is standard British breakfast fare
​​​​
uggboy likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:55 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Mercure London Hyde Park - Mixed Feelings

Mercure London Hyde Park

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Mercure London Hyde Park

8-14 Talbot Square London, UK GB

Mercure London Hyde Park - Mixed Feelings (4 Photos)

Mercure London Hyde Park

I booked 6 nights at this property as I wanted to make use of Heathrow Express on my last day of my trip as I knew my luggage will be heavy after some shopping. After doing some research on FlyerTalk, I decided to give Mercure Hyde Park a go as it was located near Paddington Station.

The rooms looked gorgeous on picture although the basic rooms looked really small. Thus, I booked a Superior King room (above the basic and standard rooms) direct at the hotel website as the rates was significantly cheaper than Accor's rates. When I enquired whether points (rewards and status) will  accorded after check out, the hotel took about 2 days to reply. The answer was affirmative.

Located a mere 3 minutes walk from Paddington Underground Station and Heathrow Express, Mercure London Hyde Park is an old Victorian style building converted to a hotel at Talbot Square.

The hotel is located beside Hotel Indigo and can be accessible by it's restaurant. However, if you are checking in, do go by the long way via Talbot Square.

Check In

I left my previous hotel and checked in at 12.30pm. Unfortunately, the room that I booked was not ready. Since I was not in a rush, I waited at the lobby. The lobby was very comfortable. During the evening, there is a nice fireplace that exuded warmth on rainy nights. Perfect place for a drink.

37358869064_71c40e48a3_k.jpg

The room was ready at about 1.30pm. Upon check in, the next best room (which is a suite) was not available on the same day. Obviously, I asked if I could move the suite the following day - the answer was okay. All I had to do was to pack and leave my luggage downstairs and the team will bring it up to the suite. I agreed! Sadly, welcome drinks was also not proactively given and I had to request.

Room

The first room (Room 312) was disappointing. Although I booked a superior king room, I was given a smaller room than what was advertised.  https://www.mercurehydepark.com/rooms/superior-king-room/

There was no space to include a bench and a sofa at all as on hotel pictures. I suspected they gave me a standard king room instead. I thought to myself, since they were upgrading me to a suite. I would just tolerate the room and move to a bigger room the following day.

The following morning, the stay got worse. Front desk told me it is not the hotel policy to upgrade Platinum members for so many nights (6) as instructed by the manager. I had to pay 30 pounds per night for an upgrade! This was after packing 2 luggages and dragging them down (they claimed they couldn't get me the previous night)

I called for the GM. She explained that it is not typical of the hotel to upgrade for so many nights. I argued that the LCAH terms and conditions didn't say so, she also mentioned that it was up to hotel policy! Front Office Manager also shared that the suite was booked. Suspecting some foul play, I checked the reservation system on the website and found that the suite is available for the next 6 nights. They claimed to have a system glitch.

After threatening to post negative feedback on FT and TA for poor loyalty recognition and false advertising, she relented and upgraded me to the suite. They also said sizes of superior king room are different and will ask Marketing to look into the pictures. 1 week has passed but no changes done.

Obviously I came for an holiday, not to beg for upgrades.

The suite was beautiful. I will not recommend anything lesser than that if you have 2 pax. I will let the pictures describe it. By the way, all rooms came with a Handy phone and the suites came with upgraded toiletries -  away from the usual Mercure branded ones. Do note for smaller rooms, the notification lights (DND and Cleaning) can be very bright and it disturbed my sleep at night. Do also ask for views facing Talbot Square, else you will be facing a wall.

26292263369_af82c08fdd_k.jpg26292265289_5a3472c495_k.jpg37358871444_c66e30b413_k.jpg

Dining

Breakfast was located in the basement of the hotel. The spread was the typical English breakfast. No variation of the breakfast was observed. Staff at the restaurant was very friendly though.

Overall

This stay left a bittersweet feeling at this nice hotel. While the hardware (suite) was great, the soft product fell flat. Even though the GM wrote me an apology note along with the welcome gift (4 pieces of tarts), it was too little too late.

A good stay was ruined by a stingy and lustre front desk manager and GM coupled with false advertising. It seems that the check in staff were not empowered as much as they have to. As I had avoided the front desk (very awkward after complaining), I would also advise the community to avoid this hotel at all cost if you are looking for great LCAH recognition.

Mercure London Hyde Park - Mixed Feelings

Would you like to write a review on the Mercure London Hyde Park?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:06 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Great review, so disappointing that one to beg for what Accor promises. Amazing that you got the full breadth of "excuses" (to put it politely): "booked, system glitch, hotel policy" all in one stay Usually they are spread out over several trips... (especially in Europe).
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Thanks a lot for the review cowism. This is the kind of attitude I dislike the most and is truly unacceptable. I put this hotel on my “no stay list”.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:11 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Thanks cowism for this review.
Accorhotels Concierge Amy, how does such a matter get followed up on and what should our recourse be when properties behave in such manner?
This is possibly the #1 issue with Accorhotel properties and there is until today still no proper SOP on how this should get addressed. A bad review on TA should not be the solution as it will happen again - and on top of that district/regional VPs of Accorhotels are not aware that their respective properties are behaving in such a manner.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:29 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Two nights, March 2018, Platinum.

We've stayed here a few times now and I posted brief reviews in the "elite experiences thread" last year (here and here).

This time we booked a junior suite, which was very similar to the one featured in cowism's photos above (but without the "farting clams" artwork). I've little to add to cowism's review of the room. The toiletries were pleasant and excessive light from the entrance area was once again annoying.

We were welcomed as returning guests and given a drinks voucher for two. There was no additional Platinum amenity. Overall, as we've felt previously, this property "could try harder".

We'll undoubtedly stay again, as for some of our London trips this is the ideal location. We usually use price to choose between this hotel, the Indigo (on the other side of the same building) and the Mercure Paddington.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:55 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I wouldn't stay there in a heartbeat. The photos in their website misrepresented what they truly had.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:09 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
We returned for one night this past weekend and were thoroughly underwhelmed.

Booked "superior" and (as Platinum) got a very small basement room. It was technically a "superior" room, with a king bed and a Nespresso machine, but definitely not a room I'd expect a hotel to allocate to a returning, paying guest with Accor status. No welcome letter or amenity, but a drinks voucher was issued without us having to ask. Having the run of the "minibar" didn't mean much as it only contained two (tiny) bottles of water.

The small, dingy room didn't really matter on this occasion, as we arrived quite late and left early, but if this had been an actual visit to London I'd have been quite unhappy.

Last edited by IMH; Jul 24, 2018 at 11:22 pm Reason: "had", not "has"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.