Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

MGallery L'Echiquier Opera Paris - Great Paris Hotel

Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:30 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold

MGallery L'Echiquier Opera Paris

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

38 Rue de l'Échiquier 75010 Paris, France FR

Great Paris Hotel - MGallery - L'Echiquier Opera (5 Photos)

Booked online using Accor website.  Good rate for a solid 4* in Centre Paris.

Booked Classic Room, with breakfast, at 18m2, small rooms, but not too bad for Paris

The hotel is just off Grand Boulevard and near metro.  We arrived at Gare Du Nord, on Eurostar, and simply walked the 15 minutes to the hotel.  We never used Metro our stay as everything we needed is walkable - Louvre, shops etc

On check in, very friendly staff.  Upgrade to Deluxe room, 22m2, with Illy Coffee machine and free soft drinks in mini bar.  Also drinks voucher - Platinum member.

Dining

We just had breakfast in hotel.  They have small bar which does some light food.  Bar staff and breakfast as all staff in hotel are top notch

Breakfast is just perfect.  Enough, but not too much, and more important good quality food. 

There is small cold secton with fruits, yoghurts, cold cuts, cheeses.  Excellent pastries and breads.  Some cereals, hot food, sausage, bacon, beans and eggs.  Good coffee/tea and hot chocolate

Ideal, handy for everything and for this area a great bargin.

Overall

Wonderful hotel, dating back to 1500, and 1850 as hotel.  Style is classic and French, wonderful staff and quiet peaceful rooms.  Will return.

Service

Cant fault any of the staff.  They hotel is kept very neat and tidy.  Staff seem to really care.  The whole place has the right feel about it. 

Check In

Booked through Accor site and good a good rate for 2 nights.  Booked on and B&B rate, and will count to the current promotion should get 2,000 bonus points.

Booked classic room, 18m2, which is small but not bad for Paris.  We arrived from London at Gare du Nord an dsimply walked the 15 minutes to the hotel.  It is just off Grand Boulevard and ideal for all main tourist places.  20 minute walk to Opera/Louvre

On arrival we were met by friendly staff who welcomed us.  Upgrade to Deluxe room - 2 level upgrade.  a 22m2 room with free mini bar - soft drinks.  Also a drinks voucher.

Room

Room was as requested, quiet.  Facing into the inner courtyard, which is ideal.  The outside street can be noisy with drunks!

Room was well laid out.  Small work desk.  Sofa, very comfortable bed, although it is 2 beds joined, with 2 seperate matress, not one on top.

Air-con did not work, it was very hot in hotel.  We simply kept window open.

Seperate toilet to shower area.  Clarins products, which were very nice.  Tried to buy in Paris, but Clarins told us thye made them specially for the hotel

Nice Illy coffee machine and some teas.

Good free wifi, TV with limited English TV channels.

Nice touch was the curtain across the door to keep noise out!2_IMG_4803.JPG1_IMG_4804.JPG1_IMG_4802.JPG1_IMG_4805.JPG1_IMG_4801.JPG

Great Paris Hotel - MGallery - L'Echiquier Opera

Would you like to write a review on the MGallery L'Echiquier Opera Paris?

No, thank you.
Yes
uggboy likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Very nice review. I've been eyeing this property and the Baltimore Hotel for a while. While Baltimore's reviews on TA has been a mixed bag, this hotel's reviews has been consistently great.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:51 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Thank you for a helpful review. We've booked our first stay here for March -- for our dates a suite with breakfast was available for less than a room without breakfast at the Novotel Les Halles (which has a great location but in our experience does not give discernible upgrades).
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:35 pm
IMH

Just following up to report that we've booked a second stay here for later next March, once again at an excellent "Memorable Suite" rate. This time the nightly rate including breakfast for two was just over 200 EUR, for our first stay just over 190 EUR.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Staying here in a few weeks. Got a "3=2 rate" which ended up being about $135/night. Used a bunch of Accor Points to get the junior suite since that rate was only about US$100 more for the 3 nights..... I'll report back here after the stay!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:29 pm
IMH

We stayed here twice recently, each time for two nights, having booked last November at extremely reasonable advance purchase "Memorable Suite" rates (see posts 3 and 4 above). We enjoyed our stay and will definitely return.

Nothing was spectacular but everything was as it should be. We were warmly welcomed and given drinks vouchers. A sweet treat was waiting in our room, together with cards welcoming us as Platinum members -- with slightly different wording (one greeting us as first-time guests, the second welcoming us back and thanking us for returning).

Thank you once again, gav0106, for your review.

Last edited by IMH; Mar 24, 2017 at 9:34 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:33 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Silver
I will be there next weekend. Will take some photos.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:40 am
IMH

One point I forgot to note is that from the lobby area there are two routes up to the rooms.

The most obvious is fairly central: a staircase with a retrofitted mini-lift in the stairwell. Rather like the ones I remember from cheap Paris hotels 30 years ago, just much newer and faster. Further to the right and round a corner is a second lift, ascending in the front right-hand corner of the building next to the x01 rooms. This is good to know, as for me the stairs stopped being fun after the first few floors.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by citygourmande
I will be there next weekend. Will take some photos.
I arrive right after you, from the 4th to the 7th. I'll do the same! I think I have reserved a Junior Suite, and I'm Platinum, so not expecting an upgrade, but you never know.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:29 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Lovely stay but not a fan of the neighbourhood

Hotel L'Echiquier Opera Paris, MGallery by Sofitel

38 Rue de l'Échiquier 75010 Paris France,

Lovely stay but not a fan of the neighbourhood (8 Photos)

Hotel L'Echiquier Opera Paris, MGallery by Sofitel

Check In

Check-in was smooth and quick (I'd done online check-in through the app the a couple of days before). 

I'd booked Classic (no breakfast) for €160 through the Accor website, and received Deluxe (two-level upgrade), the rate of which on the day was about €300. 

The front desk did not verbally acknowledge my Platinum status, which is not important for me but it makes a difference between loyalty schemes (e.g. IHG group hotels always acknowledge the status). I did receive a voucher for a drink at the bar, which was anything on the menu except for cocktails, champagne and spirits. 

Room

The room was spacious for Parisian standards, and for me it was the perfect size.

DSC_0034.JPG

The TV is right above the desk, which made it a bit awkward when I was working on my laptop but still wanted some background noise. There is a USB socket in the wall, which is handy if you're travelling light and do not have a charger with you, but the power does switch off periodically so you would have to unplug the device and plug it back in again. 

There were a few books (in French) in the corner. 

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

I appreciated the thick wool curtain across the door - it blocks out noise very well.

Room 404 faces the Rue l'Echiquier, which draws a lot of sunlight in the morning and afternoon. It was only noisy when I had the windows open and the rubbish truck drove past to collect the bins.  

DSC_0036.JPG

The bathroom and toilet were separated, although the toilet does not come with a sink, which could be inconvenient if there is more than one occupant as you'd have to walk across the mini-hallway to enter the bathroom to wash your hands. 

Same as the OP's review, the bathroom comes with Clarins amenities, which were lovely. The shampoo and conditioner especially smell really nice and left my long hair very soft. 

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

There is also a bottle of body lotion and hand wash by the sink. 

This little card was on the bedside table:

DSC_0043.JPG

I'm assuming they placed this here because they knew I (female) was staying... I'd read further in the in-room magazine that they are "tailoring" stays for female guests, although I'm not sure if it's necessary or that I felt my stay was especially tailored. 

The robe and slippers are supposedly sized for a woman, although the robe is too generically sized for me to tell. The slippers, however, were tight. I don't think they can just assume a woman is going to wear size EU37! 

The card also mentions a "special surprise for LCAH members" - I have no idea what this was and couldn't be bother to call and ask. 

According to the card, there are female-oriented items for loan and sale at the front desk. Of all the items on offer (e.g. yoga mat, nail polish remover), I'm surprised they didn't include sanitary towels or tampons (which I think should be complimentary if they were going to tailor the stay for a female guest). 

DSC_0032.JPG

The room also comes with a free minibar (still and sparkling water, Coca-Cola and Diet, and orange juice), and an Illy espresso machine. 

Overall I really liked the hotel, especially the room (which is the most important part). Not a huge fan of the decor in the bar - 1920s art deco style - but it's not a deal-breaker and it's certainly a lot nicer than several tacky and dated hotels I've seen.  

The only thing I really didn't like was the location. Although it's convenient and close to metro and bus stops, there were a number of rough sleepers near Bonne Nouvelle metro station. Also the shops around Faubourg Saint-Denis were mainly grocers and butchers, which would be nice and convenient for anyone who lived in the neighbourhood, but not exactly something I'd like to see on a weekend away. 

I would stay at the hotel again, but if I find a similar hotel in another neighbourhood that I prefer (e.g. near Canal Saint Martin) then I might be persuaded to try somewhere else. 

Lovely stay but not a fan of the neighbourhood

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel L'Echiquier Opera Paris, MGallery by Sofitel?

No, thank you.
Yes
uggboy likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:25 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Thanks for the review citygourmande!

Clarins or not, I feel those dispenser-holders to be very out of place in a "by Sofitel" property.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Clarins or not, I feel those dispenser-holders to be very out of place in a "by Sofitel" property.

Dispensers are perhaps not as "posh", but personally I prefer dispensers with pumps like these (rather than the squeezy ones at Ibis Styles) because I didn't have to fiddle with caps whilst showering.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:12 am
IMH

Many thanks for your review, citygourmande. Having 'only' seen suites myself, it's good to know that rooms in other categories (such as you and gav0106 stayed in) are also very impressive.

Originally Posted by citygourmande
he only thing I really didn't like was the location.
Obviously personal preferences play a large part here but we didn't feel unsafe or uncomfortable in this area, including late at night. There are lots of restaurants within easy walking distance, ranging from simple to Michelin starred, and everything from Montmartre down to the Île de la Cité is also walkable for most people. Apart from arriving and leaving, we didn't use a single bus, train or taxi during our two recent two-night stays.

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I know what you mean, but I disagree and wish that more hotels would follow this example. Tiny plastic bottles are fiddly and wasteful. Of course, dispensers need to be kept completely clean and free of grime -- which the MGallery L'Echiquier does.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Stayed at L'Echiquier last weekend (my second time). Got a two-level upgrade to a Deluxe Room on the 5th floor, with a balcony (although it rained in the morning so I wasn't able to sit down and sip my coffee on the balcony).

They left small gifts on the table - a tote bag and two pieces of biscuits - nice gesture but can't compare to the half bottle of wine I got from Hilton Budapest (as a Silver member) or the canapes offered by IC Ambassador programme.

Just an FYI in case anyone likes the Clarins "Invigorating" product range, they are now available to buy from Clarins website (online exclusive - in the UK and France at least) - http://www.clarins.co.uk/body-bath-shower/340/, although it looks like both the shampoo and shower gel are out of stock at the moment.
uggboy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.