Search

So Sofitel Hua Hin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:36 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
So Sofitel Hua Hin

New So Sofitel in the Accor Portfolio. Second in Thailand.

http://www.traveller.com.au/so-sofit...nection-gqwb1d

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-9649...in/index.shtml

Last edited by gilbertaue; Sep 20, 2016 at 12:11 am
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
It looks great. But I thought this hotel was already open for a while (ca 1 year) ?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:14 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Maybe. Did a search and nobody spoke about it. So I started a new thread
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Here's the correct URL for the hotel's website: www.sofitel.com/huahin‎.

Wasn't aware of this property either. Rooms look great and are spacious at 60 m² (646 ft²).
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Thanks. Have edited my post.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Hua Hin ? This property is 32klm away from Hua Hin - 35 min by car, no traffic

Many of us are foreign to Thailand and Hua Hin in particular, thus it deserves to be noted that this property is NOT in Hua Hin as the name implies. There are hotels in Hua Hin and a few kilometers up and down the road, along the sea side.

This property, however, is 32 klm away, 35 minutes by car, quite far away from the tiny Hua Hin city centre, which bustles in the evenings and is interesting to be visited and do some people watching, with tourists and families from all walks of life.

It is not surprising that so many travelers have expressed their disappointment in their reviews, due to the distance, paid transport irregularities to/from Hua Hin and to add insult to a severe injury, the service within the property seems also to be frustrating, where one ends feeling completely isolated, and in a very bad way.

Having been to Hua Hin, I would never recommend any foreigner to choose a property so secluded and far away, when so many other more interesting properties are in the city perimeter itself, also for those that limit choices to the Accor portfolio, and for all types of budget.

"Sofitel So Hat Puek Tian", even so 14 klm away, might be a more appropriate name for this property, but obviously someone preferred to add the Hua Hin suffix to boost business.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:34 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by FlytheTail

Wasn't aware of this property either. Rooms look great and are spacious at 60 m² (646 ft²).
That URL leads nowhere, for me at least.

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-9649...in/index.shtml
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

The nicest stay I had a long time ago was the Sofitel Central Hua Hin which was the old Railway Hotel. Fond memories there. Real shame that Accor didn't continue their long relationship with the Centara group IMO.

Last edited by gilbertaue; Sep 20, 2016 at 12:10 am
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: AY Plat
Spent the last weekend at this property. Quite handy for a weekend getaway from Bangkok since coming from the city the hotel is before you reach Cha Am and Hua Hin which means some traffic avoided.

Very true on the location. Absolutely nothing to do within walking distance. There are some local seafood places maybe 30min walk away.

On the other hand the inhouse restaurants are really good and at least the Red Oven which serves Thai dishes is reasonably priced. Some drinks at the beach bar are not so reasonably priced though Breakfast was really top notch and probably the highlight for big part of the visitors. I mean where else can you expect ~8 flavors of homemade icecream for breakfast right?

Rooms are great, spacious and everything feels rather new even though it is not a new hotel, just a refurb and rebranded one. Cleanliness is an issue mainly around the balconies due to excessive amount of pigeons camping out. Wanted to use the bath with open balcony doors - once I opened them it was pigeon poo everywhere - I bet those doors were not opened by housekeeping team for a long time..

Another rant on the pools - both of them were probably the least refreshing pools I have ever been to. When its sunny the water temperature in the pools is probably well above 30C. Having in mind that the beach due to the tides is of not much use this was a bit dissapointing.

Staff generally friendly but some very robotic, especially at the check in process where they literally have memorized some marketing sentences about how you leave your time upon checking in or smth. Same goes for the welcome drink which was prepared on the spot with a story attached about each ingridient. Looks good on paper but the robotic execution is clearly seen.

As far as Accor benefits go - welcome drink (local beer/wine, soft drink) was offered, early check in granted. Late check out was given until 2PM (even though in their welcome letter they state until 5PM).

Having stayed at Pullman Pattaya just few weeks ago for the same weekend concept - I will probably choose Pullman for next stays - the distance from Bangkok is very similar, location is away from Pattaya madness and quite secluded yet you can reach few good restaurant and proper massage places within 5 minutes walk. But where it shines vs Sofitel is the staff who are much more professional and hence more relaxed at what they do.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by pb9997
Many of us are foreign to Thailand and Hua Hin in particular, thus it deserves to be noted that this property is NOT in Hua Hin as the name implies. There are hotels in Hua Hin and a few kilometers up and down the road, along the sea side.

This property, however, is 32 klm away, 35 minutes by car, quite far away from the tiny Hua Hin city centre, which bustles in the evenings and is interesting to be visited and do some people watching, with tourists and families from all walks of life.

It is not surprising that so many travelers have expressed their disappointment in their reviews, due to the distance, paid transport irregularities to/from Hua Hin and to add insult to a severe injury, the service within the property seems also to be frustrating, where one ends feeling completely isolated, and in a very bad way.

Having been to Hua Hin, I would never recommend any foreigner to choose a property so secluded and far away, when so many other more interesting properties are in the city perimeter itself, also for those that limit choices to the Accor portfolio, and for all types of budget.

"Sofitel So Hat Puek Tian", even so 14 klm away, might be a more appropriate name for this property, but obviously someone preferred to add the Hua Hin suffix to boost business.
Very true. The same goes to Novotel Hua Hin which is located at Cha Am. Can't swim at the beach, actually you can't stroll on it as there's no beach just a wall which breaks the waves. Absolutely nothing around that's worth the trouble.

Hua Hin isn't exactly swinging so having a Sofitel So property here is a bit "misplaced" for what is seen as a hip brand that competes with W, Indigo etc.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by adrs
As far as Accor benefits go - welcome drink (local beer/wine, soft drink) was offered, early check in granted.
Did you get an upgrade too? (assuming you are elite member)
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by olisch
Did you get an upgrade too? (assuming you are elite member)
still on the way to Plat.. Upgrade not given, reason being that supossedly they were full that night. They said that the room they give is the best from standard rooms because it has partial seaview but in reality there was no proper seaview.

Another small mismatch from the service - upon arrival to the room there was cutlery on the table presumably for the welcome fruit plate but it never arrived.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Here are some impressions from the hotel:

Last edited by olisch; Oct 6, 2016 at 8:29 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Any recent experiences? Breakfast included as Plat?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: AccorAll - Diamond Qantas - Platinum
i had a 3 night stay in october, as gold. Nice modern property.... that is very isolated and VERY quiet while i was there.

I had a room rate incl breakfast (great buffet), but as gold, i do not believe they did anything special for me. I got 2 drink tickets. I did not get room upgrade, (i was in category below villa). when i enquired they said i could use hotel van shuttle for free in lieu of room upgrade (i think shuttle was $3..... didnt bother, hired private taxi to go when i wanted to go). Other than check in i was never approached by any additional staff/mgmt during my stay (other than bar/rest staff).

As i was by myself, and active on day trips during day, location and emptiness did not bother me. Indeed i didnt mind at all. But in evening, something was missing though. Instead of dedicated personal service (ie more than 2 person to guest) , it goes the other way - when a hotel is dead quiet, and staff drop the ball and are bored. (ie having to go to bar to order drinks instead of approaching me). You just think to yourself, how they could so get this right if they just tried.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.