Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Mercure Paris Centre Tour Eiffel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

20 Rue Jean Rey Paris, FR 75015

Mercure Paris Centre Tour Eiffel (18 Photos)

My go-to hotel in Paris is typically the Pullman Montparnasse. Even though I booked this trip almost 5 months out it was clear that the week I planned on staying was going to be uber peak season. It was the week after Roland Garros and right smack in the week where the EURO2016 were going to start with the live show on Thursday and the first match on Friday. My stay was from Wednesday to Sunday that week.

ALL hotels in Paris were expensive that week but for some reason this Mercure wasn't over the top and especially the highest room catagory, the Jnr Privilege Suite wasn't too bad for what you'd get. I'm a person who typically relies on a Plat upgrade to get me a more favourable room, but I'm also known to spend money on a room when I really want it. So that's what I did. This wasn't an upgrade, and no further upgrade would have been possible.

Check In

I spent a long time researching this hotel after I booked it. From the pictures it was clear that one (or some very limited rooms) had a phenomenal view of the Eiffel tower. I read through countless TA reviews and compared pictures, and I finally shortlisted the room to be 1207. This is the top floor of the hotel and the room at the end of the corridor (towards the Eiffel tower side).

I emailed the hotel prior to my arrival that I would specifically like room 1207 and that we'd most likely check in around 11am (early checkin). I never did get a response from them.

20160612_084241.jpg20160612_084303.jpga was the e

We turned up shortly before 11am. They have 4 luggage troleys, but to porter. OK, I unloaded the car myself, pushing it into the lobby and no body seemed to mind - so I guess a Mercure means DIY luggage. We checked in at the Priority Accor desk which is to the left of the entrance (all other check in desks are opposite the entrance). I made sure we received room 1207 and we did as it was "pre-arranged". Room perfectionist me also asked the friendly lady checking us in if that was "THE" room, as she said "It's the biggest and has the best view". Excellent!

Do note that even the Jnr Suites have different sizes and layouts in this property.

Within 5 mins we were given our keys. The hotel (of 12 floors) has 3 lifts. Lifts operated by over-the-top high tech which I have so far only seen in Asian 50+ story buildings: Key in your room number and it will group riders into lift A, B or C etc. A waste of money in this property.

We got into the lift, I pushed in the luggage cart - and the luggage cart doesnt fit (if you push it straight in). So you need to lift the cart (which about 130kg of luggage) and move it to one side. By that time the lift doors tried to jam me in twice. FINALLY doors closed. Lift goes up 1.....WHOOOMP drops 30cm. Lift goes up to Lvl2 WHOOOMP drops 30cm. Then stops moving. After about 30seconds it started moving again to the 12th floor.

IF YOU HAVE LUGGAGE CARTS THAT DON'T FIT THE LIFTS, THEN AT LEAST HAVE PORTERS WHO KNOW HOW TO MANEUVER THEM IN THE LIFTS!

So we got to the 12th floor - slightly shaken. And found our room...

Room

I'm glad we're not sleeping in the lift.

But what a room. All the research paid off!

The room is devided into 3 parts.

1) A living room + toilet. This room has one sofa bed. It also has the mini-bar with a semi-professional Nespresso machine (with the flat pods). There's enough space here to also open suitcases and there is a wardrobe.

2) A second room with no walls (but blinds) seperating it from the living room which has a small desk and another sofa bed.

3) Main bedroom with a very large bathroom (with bath, shower and toilet).

Here are the pictures.

20160608_111749.jpg20160608_111758.jpg20160608_111805.jpg20160608_111825.jpg20160608_111837.jpg20160608_111848.jpg

And why pay all that money if it wasn't for this:

20160608_112005.jpg

A beautiful view out of all rooms of the Eiffel tower. For the main bedroom it's of course off to one side. But our daughter woke up in her sofa bed to look at the tower first thing in the morning while lying in bed. Tops.

20160609_002446.jpg

20160609_223519.jpg

We had magical few nights there. Wednesday night they were testing the lighting system for the Euro2016 party the next day. The tower was lit in numerous national colours. It was wonderful.

Here is our floor plan:

1_20160608_130957.jpg

"Suffren Tour Eiffel" - anyways.

What you will also notice are the generously large CREW LOUNGES offered to flight crew staying in this property (in the case of the Mercure, United cabin crew - the pilots stay at the Pullman next door). 

20160608_130933.jpg

So this is one of the things I don't understand - does crew accomodation really bring in so much more compared to providing a Executive Lounge for premium guests (who probably wouldn't mind paying a bit more).

Another interesting thing I've never seen anywhere else is the Skinjay brand of shower oils. Bascially Nespress-like capsules for the shower which infuses aromatic oils into the shower and gives you are the shower a nice - well "aroma". Daughter and wife were quite fond of it. Smelling of "Printemps" just wasnt my thing.

20160608_113714.jpg

And to spoil it all again:

20160608_113721.jpg

Welcome to a IBIS Budget airport hotel where you room is ALL INCLUSIVE.

The 12th floor also houses a Fitness Room - didn't walk in or take a picture - sorry. I walked 153km over 11 days in Europe. I did my fitness :)

Service

Service... Hit and Miss I must say.

During check in I was't given the welcome drink vouchers nor the "welcome VIP bla bla amenity". I make it a point just to ask for these things even though I often don't use them. But it's about looking at how well the property manages Loyalty.

So the same day we checked in, in the afternoon, I inquired about it.

- Welcome drink - "we will send up to your room the vouchers".

- Gift - "normaly comes in the afternoon".

Result: Welcome drink: Vouchers were lying on the floor when we got back.

VIP gift. It took 3x asking, over 3 days, for them to send 2 pieces of Mercure chocolate.

I asked the housekeeping staff on our floor on the second day about an ironing board. She told me there was a ironing room at the end of the corridor (I asked her because there was an ironing board leaning on the wall right next to her). The one at the end of the corridor was being used with another guest waiting. So I pointed it out to her and she said she can't make that decision and that I would need to ask by calling housekeeping. Staff empowerement people... Empowerment....

It took 2 days - but finally they sent it.

Dining

We only had breakfast in the hotel. But it was quite ok. Lady at the entrance of the restaurant was very friendly and jovial every day.

20160609_101209.jpg20160609_101347.jpg

Location Location Location. That's why you'd saty here. Metro is 10min walk away, and the Eiffel Tower 5-10mins.

We drove and had our own car. Now here is a tip: We PRE BOOKED a parking lot at the Pullman next door as that parking is available under Parkingsdeparis.com. This allowed us to substantially reduce the parking fee and in the end we paid only ~EUR60 for 4 full days of parking. I generally suggest that service for any parking lot in Paris. Even if you just plan to park for a few hours near Galleries Lafayette.

Overall

I was very happy with our stay apart from the occasional lack in service. I had isues with the Le Club Accor loyalty matters which applied to me. The biggest would have been an upgrade, but as I booked the highest category, nothing could go "wrong" there. But with the drinks vouchers, gift failing, I dare say that upgrades would also be hard to come by.

One surprise I had was that since ity was the EURO2016 period, the hotel was running a little competition at the entrance.

20160610_180715.jpg

The idea was the juggle (bounce) the ball on your feet for as many times as you could. They would start counting from 3 taps and for each tap you'd get 100 Accor Points. Within 5 days I had 1100 points posted to my account. Talk about easy points!!!

Would I stay here again? Sure. Would I be worried that the hotel wouldn't extend LCAH benefits? Yes. Put it this way, the LCAH Priority desk was used 80% of the time as a check in/out desk for United crew. And they were constantly in and out of the hotel with several flights daily. So if they can arrange 2 CREW Lounges for them, why can't they arrange for a CREW CHECK-IN Desk???! 

Would you like to write a review on the Mercure Paris Centre Tour Eiffel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thank you gilbertaue for this nice review (as usual )
I often wondered about this property and now with your review and the one by Starflyergold on the Pullman neighbor, we have a good picture of Accor in the Bir Hakeim / Eiffel tower area

The view on the tower is indeed stunning, but the service seems really hit & miss, and the fact that you had to beg for all Le Club benefit is a big minus (I agree with you that upgrades are very likely not granted spontaneously with such a behaviour). I will never understand why hotels do not understand that those small things can make all the difference for frequent travelers.
As you said : training, empowerment. It seems that we are repeating the same things for ages...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:43 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
I stayed in room 1209, it is a great view of the tower and a quick walk to it.

I thought the breakfast was a bit sketchy, breads and cheese ain't my thing.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
What a brilliant review gilbertaue. I was considering booking the Pullman next door but now I need to consider this one.

Anyone stayed at both, and is there a big difference?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:04 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

The Pullman next door was running rates of close to EUR500 per night for basic rooms during that week. Turns out it was the official hotel for the EURO2016 delegates. I paid around EUR1400 for my 4 nights in the suite.

One of the FOM at the Pullman CDG I was taking to used to work at the Pullman Eiffel. I shared with him that I was under the impression that the Pullman did not have rooms with full frontal views of the Tour. But he confirmed that there were some rooms which hat a "straight from your bed view". So I'd make sure you request/book those rooms or you will only end up with no or partially angled views of the tower.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:22 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
One of the FOM at the Pullman CDG I was taking to used to work at the Pullman Eiffel. I shared with him that I was under the impression that the Pullman did not have rooms with full frontal views of the Tour. But he confirmed that there were some rooms which hat a "straight from your bed view". So I'd make sure you request/book those rooms or you will only end up with no or partially angled views of the tower.
That's really helpful. I might email the hotel to find out which rooms are best to book as i prefer the Pullman brand over Mercure, but if price is so different, I'd go Mercure.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:49 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PabloM
That's really helpful. I might email the hotel to find out which rooms are best to book as i prefer the Pullman brand over Mercure, but if price is so different, I'd go Mercure.
Same here. This is only the 3rd time I stayed at a Mercure. But the prices fluctuate so much there (Paris) it's hard to stick to a preffered brand.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Its exactly as you said the service was mixed.

Had to mention about drinks vouchers.
3 times Inquired about the gift. Did feel like begging.
We thought the breakfast was very average.
The bar was good.
We had a room with a partial view of the tower and were not granted an upgrade as it would have been a room on the other side so we paid extra to go to the 12th floor privilege room.
Not quite as beautiful view as that suite but still a highlight.
Seeing that picture made me want to go back though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.