Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel Athens Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2021, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree you should contact them, but I've found the front desk to be quite accommodating, if they can.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thank you - I've emailed them. If I don't get a response I will try calling.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Also Gracie I just noticed when your planned stay is. If it’s only next June I wouldn’t really worry about capacity control etc this early. I now only book hotels max 2-3 days ahead and most of them the same day. So many things can go wrong now in terms of hotels and flights.
Having said that, I’m sure you will have a nice time in June, though!

ps. I wrote in the other thread already but just wanted to add the lounge is currently closed.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by remymartin
ps. I wrote in the other thread already but just wanted to add the lounge is currently closed.
in any case, the lounge in this hotel is nothing to write home about.
remymartin and lhrpete like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Also Gracie I just noticed when your planned stay is. If it’s only next June I wouldn’t really worry about capacity control etc this early. I now only book hotels max 2-3 days ahead and most of them the same day. So many things can go wrong now in terms of hotels and flights.
Having said that, I’m sure you will have a nice time in June, though!

Originally Posted by Goldorak
in any case, the lounge in this hotel is nothing to write home about.
In fact it is depressing.
remymartin and lhrpete like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 1:15 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Yes I visited the 8th floor and the receptionist desk felt very "USA Sheraton"
Old Sep 18, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Yes I visited the 8th floor and the receptionist desk felt very "USA Sheraton"
From all the descriptions up posts, it sounds like the Sheraton LAX.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I've spent two separate nights here in the last couple of weeks and left unimpressed. I still think this place should be under the Novotel brand and using the Sofitel one is just an excuse for a rip off.

Each night cost me about €180. My room was upgraded on each occasion by one notch to the Executive Club floor bearing in mind the lounge is closed at the moment and the rooms are exactly the same as all others, there was no benefit to this at all.

The welcome gift was not present in the room on the second occasion and while I really only wanted a bottle of water, housekeeping insisted it was in the room but finally agreed to provide another one. On each occasion therefore I received a bottle of water and a box of sweets.

The staff I encountered on the first occasion were fine, just as you might expect at any Novotel, on the second occasion, the receptionist was neither warm nor welcoming and I was glad to be finished dealing with her.

I didn't use the welcome drink voucher on the first occasion, I did on the second. It excludes champagne and spirits so I ordered a glass of wine but was told I could only have house wine. I pointed out the exclusions and was told it was the manager's policy. I asked to see the manager and was subsequently told I could have the wine I had ordered, the price difference was 50c - on a room costing €180!. I also ate in the restaurant that night. The choices were what you might find in any taverna at three times the price, the quality was OK for the taverna price.

As you might guess, I was pretty fed up with it all and have cancelled a couple of stays I had for next month. It's easy to hop in a taxi at the airport and go somewhere nicer and/or cheaper or both!
lhrpete likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 2:52 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I've spent two separate nights here in the last couple of weeks and left unimpressed. I still think this place should be under the Novotel brand and using the Sofitel one is just an excuse for a rip off.

Each night cost me about €180. My room was upgraded on each occasion by one notch to the Executive Club floor bearing in mind the lounge is closed at the moment and the rooms are exactly the same as all others, there was no benefit to this at all.

The welcome gift was not present in the room on the second occasion and while I really only wanted a bottle of water, housekeeping insisted it was in the room but finally agreed to provide another one. On each occasion therefore I received a bottle of water and a box of sweets.

The staff I encountered on the first occasion were fine, just as you might expect at any Novotel, on the second occasion, the receptionist was neither warm nor welcoming and I was glad to be finished dealing with her.

I didn't use the welcome drink voucher on the first occasion, I did on the second. It excludes champagne and spirits so I ordered a glass of wine but was told I could only have house wine. I pointed out the exclusions and was told it was the manager's policy. I asked to see the manager and was subsequently told I could have the wine I had ordered, the price difference was 50c - on a room costing €180!. I also ate in the restaurant that night. The choices were what you might find in any taverna at three times the price, the quality was OK for the taverna price.

As you might guess, I was pretty fed up with it all and have cancelled a couple of stays I had for next month. It's easy to hop in a taxi at the airport and go somewhere nicer and/or cheaper or both!
I have to agree with your prognosis. As the airport is a bit of a schlepp out of town, and as they are the only decent hotel in the area, they milk this exclusivity. Rooms are nice, service is very dependent on who you get. As you say, Greek taverna food. Can't recall if I got a gift, but I was only platinum when I stayed.
Great for early departures or late arrivals only. I do like airport hotels I can walk to. However, I shifted to the Hilton in town.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
As you say, Greek taverna food.
I LOVE Greek taverna food.....but I have to admit the only meal(s) I have ever had at this hotel is a hamburger. Just felt more apropos to the whole airport hotel experience.
Markie likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 1:23 pm

Is the lounge open now? Visiting 31/01
Is breakfast offered there and Platinum are granted access?

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2022, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by sdm1985
Is the lounge open now? Visiting 31/01
Is breakfast offered there and Platinum are granted access?

Thanks
You might reach out to the hotel and ask. But don't get your expectations too high...the last time we visited the lounge ( pre-covid) it was a smallish room with a few weird foods and some bottles of booze. ( We were the only ones in there) We ended up going downstairs to the bar which at least had some life to it.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We have a need for a one-night stay in March. We have a 6AM departure on LH and I'm considering this hotel to avoid needing to rely on a 4AM airport shuttle or being able to summon a taxi at that hour.

Three questions:

- Any tips for an Accor nonmember / first stay? Any popular publicly-available discount codes like there are for other chains? (Even something like auto club?)
- We arrive into ATH at noon the day prior. We will have already spent 5 days in central Athens....are any of the nearby coastal towns worth an afternoon / evening visit? It'll be our last night in Greece...figure getting dinner along the water is more fun than eating in an airport hotel restaurant. Assume getting taxis at normal hours isn't too hard.
- Is the indoor pool area pretty decent? If it's a tiny 4-ft deep pool we probably wouldn't bother, but if it's a larger pool we might pack swimsuits.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
We have a need for a one-night stay in March. We have a 6AM departure on LH and I'm considering this hotel to avoid needing to rely on a 4AM airport shuttle or being able to summon a taxi at that hour.

Three questions:

- Any tips for an Accor nonmember / first stay? Any popular publicly-available discount codes like there are for other chains? (Even something like auto club?)
- We arrive into ATH at noon the day prior. We will have already spent 5 days in central Athens....are any of the nearby coastal towns worth an afternoon / evening visit? It'll be our last night in Greece...figure getting dinner along the water is more fun than eating in an airport hotel restaurant. Assume getting taxis at normal hours isn't too hard.
- Is the indoor pool area pretty decent? If it's a tiny 4-ft deep pool we probably wouldn't bother, but if it's a larger pool we might pack swimsuits.
I have never found any associated club rates ( AAA, etc) with Sofitel. I have used LastMinute.com to get decent rates at both the Athens and LHR Sofitel. That said...in this age of covid and unpredictability....my recommendation is to bite the bullet and get a refundable rate directly from their website.

The Temple of Poseidon in Sounion on the water is a popular destination about 30 minutes from the airport. It can be breathtaking at sunset and I am sure there are some decent restaurants along the coast there. We have hired a driver to take us and then after dinner pick us up and take us back to the Sofitel.

The pool as I remember it is weird, small, and probably not worth packing a bathing suit if that will be your only pool experience.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Don't pack for the pool. I went to look at it once and didn't even get in. Think a small plunge pool, no good for swimming at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.