Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
Le Club Accorhotels is changing from 2017.

What we know so far:

Membership year:
- the membership year will change to calendar year, i.e. 1 January - 31 December
- any status achieved in 2016 will be carried forward until 31 December 2017

- there will be a distinction between reward points and the new status points
- status points can only be earned through hotel stays and related expenditure
- status points are not subject to the accelerator and will be earned at a rate of 25 points/ 10 Euro in most cases (12.5 in case of ibis and ibis styles, 10 Adagio and 5 at Adagio Access)
- Points remain valid for life, if an eligible stay is realized in the past 12 months (rolling year)

Status thresholds:
- to account for the lower earning rates of status points threshold for status have been lowered: 2,000 for silver, 7,000 for gold and 14,000 for platinum
- night requirements remain unchanged
- status is dependent on status points or nights, not both

Perks:
- no change

Redemptions:
- no change

The official website: http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/leclub/new-rules-status.shtml Accorhotels have announced that an official communication to all members will issue around 7 April.

Issues still to be resolved:
- Accor Plus membership
Print Wikipost

New programme details from 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, LCAH Gold
Exclamation New programme details from 2017

Accor is changing program rules - http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/leclub...s-status.shtml

Seems Accor is going to limit number of gold and platinum status holders.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
In a way, I'm kind of glad that the qualifying year is now a fixed calendar. However, I don't see the point of becoming a Platinum. Unless one has no choice in which hotels they stay at and they stay at those hotels quite often; thus reaching Platinum level after 60 nights. Otherwise, it will now take almost 6,000 Euros worth of room night spend to qualify. I can get Hilton HHonors Diamond status with much less spend AND with much greater hotel stay benefits than LCAH Platinum, for example.

But if earning redemption points remains relatively easy (even without an elite bonus due to lower or no status), I'll survive just fine. Last year, I had 8 nights/6 stays with under $400 dollars in spend. And I earned over 12,000 points, plus received Gold status. I can see why they are making adjustments.

Last edited by Fanjet; Mar 30, 2016 at 2:51 pm
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:37 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I can see why they are making adjustments.
I think we all can.

Quite a few people here will be pleased to have one final opportunity to 'earn' status by accumulating points in the four categories that won't bring status points from 2017 onwards:
  • Bonus points with an offer
  • Status-related accelerator points
  • Places by Le Club AccorHotels points
  • Points earned with a partner

The new spend requirements don't seem excessive -- and it seems reasonable to expect that the FRHI properties will start participating in the first half of 2017, giving us more hotels to choose from.

Last edited by IMH; Mar 31, 2016 at 6:14 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMH
The new spend requirements don't seem excessive -- and it seems reasonable to expect that the FRHI properties will start participating in the first half of 2017, giving us more hotels to choose from.
They seem excessive given what the elite benefits are. If they are going to make it harder to achieve/retain elite status, then they should in turn offer more benefits once you have that elite status. A drink coupon, no guarantee of an early checkin/late checkout, and access to a non-existent lounge with no complimentary breakfast as an alternative are not things worth spending almost 6,000 Euros a year for. Especially when done in comparison with SPG/Marriott Rewards/HHonors/Hyatt Gold Passport, even Club Carlson.

Perhaps they are making these changes now because they plan on offering more elite benefits going forward. Let's hope.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
LCAH as-was suited the broad range of hotels Accor has very well. A third of Accor's current hotels are ibis or ibis Styles hotels.

I guess the purchase of FRHI pushes the portfolio up-market. I wonder if the perks will be upgraded to match...
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:18 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
The qualifying spend -- less than 500 EUR a month -- would typically be incurred with the primary purpose of purchasing hotel accommodation, not of achieving status.

My impression, based on my own experience and reports here, is that the granting of status benefits has become both more consistent and less grudging over the past year or two. Steps to reduce the number of instant Plats has helped. The planned changes should help more. I agree, though, that it's about time we saw some firmer commitments re. upgrades and the early arrival / late departure benefit.

EDITED TO ADD: Thanks for telling us about this, panlukasz. It's rather disappointing, but sadly not surprising, that someone here saw this before Accor got around to sending out emails. They could also have chosen to empower their representative here, AccorHotels Concierge, to let people know what's coming. At least we have several months' notice.

Last edited by IMH; Mar 30, 2016 at 4:49 pm
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMH
The qualifying spend -- less than 500 EUR a month -- would typically be incurred with the primary purpose of purchasing hotel accommodation, not of achieving status.
I get that. My point was that one would spend less with HHonors to attain Diamond status (30 stays) while receiving much greater benefits during those subsequent stays (and spending just under 500 Euros per month). In fact, attaining Gold status with HHonors (20 stays) gets one more benefits than currently with LCAH Platinum.

Right now, the elite benefits associated with LCAH are fine considering the ease of reaching the threashold levels. However, one aspect of that dynamic will be changing significantly. And thus the potential for a great imbalance.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:47 pm
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
The major change here will be the loss of status earning on bonus points. However bonus point generosity from Accor seems to have reduced in recent months. Last year was over generous in this respect. Earning Gold last year with a little planning was possible with a spend of under US$300 and platinum for under US$800.

A few minutes with a calculator suggests the loss of status-related accelerator points will have virtually no impact on status retention due to the reduction in trigger points. For example retaining Platinum (ignoring bonuses/Places) on the current scheme requires an approximate spend of US$5680 whilst the new scheme will require a spend of US$5600. There is however some change on ease of moving between levels.

The impact from earning Places points for status members is reducing in any case on the basis that many of the attainable badges from a members stay pattern will have now been earned and new badges seem to be extremely rare.

These changes will increase the need for Accor to provide members reliable status renewal information as the members year progresses. Calculating status renewal progress manually will no longer be a matter of current balance plus points spent in current status year less balance at start of status year.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by cwl
The major change here will be the loss of status earning on bonus points. However bonus point generosity from Accor seems to have reduced in recent months. Last year was over generous in this respect. Earning Gold last year with a little planning was possible with a spend of under US$300 and platinum for under US$800.
I agree with you and to be honest, most of us on this forum (the regulars)!saw that coming (I mean no status points on bonus and promo points). The new system will be very similar to airlines FFP in which you never earn status miles on bonus and promo miles.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:30 pm
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
To put it simply, I'm not a big fan of this change. Simple as that.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cwl
The major change here will be the loss of status earning on bonus points.
Really, that's one of the two major changes. That's the negative one.

The positive one is the change to calendar year. If you happen to have significant travel at varying times of year, the move to calendar year is a massive improvement. In the past, let's say you spent a month in hotels in April one year and in May the next year. Accor's status was worthless. Now, it'll stay around much longer. (Although sometimes the only "elite" benefit I've received has been a pathetic non-alcoholic welcome drink worth under a buck!) Given the same scenario, it would make sense for points to be valid until the end of the following year, not just status, otherwise we end up dumping points into airlines before they expire.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
From 2017, is it points and nights for status qualification or is it either points or nights? E.g. for Platinum in 2017 do we have to earn 60 nights and 14000pts?

And is the status expiry for 2016 on 31 December 2016 or is it still 12 months from whenever in 2015 that we achieved status?

Last edited by dannybhoy; Mar 30, 2016 at 8:46 pm Reason: Added second question
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:46 pm
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
Though one question, my status changed to Gold in January 2016, does that mean it last all the way to 31 Dec 2017?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
So there is added incentive to requalify this year since it's easier, but also bc the status will last longer (through 12/17), giving almost all of us anywhere from 1 month to 12 months of extra status time.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
how about the Accor+? Does it mean if I qualify as platinum in 2017 (Jan-Dec) does this mean my Platinum will valid until Sep 2019 as my accor+ cycle is in September.?

Does this also means what ever status we have now wil valid until Dec 2017?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.