FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Accor buys FRHI Holdings (Fairmont, Raffles and Swissôtel) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1730281-accor-buys-frhi-holdings-fairmont-raffles-swissotel.html)

ContinentalVoyager7 Jun 6, 2016 8:32 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold (Post 26735383)
I recently had an opportunity to meet with Sébastien Bazin, CEO of Accor to discuss the merger among other issues. Some key takeaways:

- the deal is expected to close 12 July
- Accor paid too much, he half joked
- there will be some reshuffling of properties' brands (some hotels may move up, some down)
- FRHI hotel owners are keen on accessing Accor's distribution channels
- Accor will maintain a sizeable management presence in Toronto (current home of FRHI)
- Le Club will be the loyalty programme (there may be some tweaking in the future)

Thanks for the update, am actually looking forward to this. Hopefully its a win-win situation for both loyalty programmes.

stimpy Jun 6, 2016 8:41 am

Gosh there are about a thousand Mercure hotels out there, with new ones opening up every week or so. I'm pretty sure that's not going away.

starflyergold Jun 6, 2016 9:57 am

Originally Posted by geilux (Post 26735605)
Mercure brand will disappear @:-)

My 50 cents

That is not going to happen :p

submonte Jun 11, 2016 12:29 am

Mercure brand is an essential part of Accorhotels, why should it disappear, it must stay.

nicolas75 Jun 11, 2016 3:12 am

Originally Posted by geilux (Post 26735605)
Mercure brand will disappear @:-)

My 50 cents

I did not get any information about this move.

Novotel is a strong brand but poor concept (same hotel anywhere does not meet today's customers needs)

submonte Jun 11, 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 26761914)
I did not get any information about this move.

Novotel is a strong brand but poor concept (same hotel anywhere does not meet today's customers needs)

I have started to discover Accorhotels recently more intesively.

- Mercure is so and so, e.g. Bad Dürkheim (Pfalz) Germany is an old fashioned conference hotel like an old Holiday Inn, Mercure Forbach France (Saarbrücken border) has now revonated rooms which I liked very very much (stayed their some years back in the worst hotel room ever beside former Hilton Nottingham - even in Hatyai Thailand I had better rooms).

- Ibis is fully ok if it is relatively new, such as Lübeck City (a fine historic city in North Germany)

- Ibis Styles may be worse than Ibis despite recent renovation (Herten NRW Germany) but depending also on the location, my old (run down, I feel sad about this) homeland "Ruhrgebiet" in this case rubs off even on a hotel brand

- Adagio (I was in Vienna Austria) as apartement hotel concept makes sense

- Novotel I will try out next week in Brescia Italy (new hotel)

- Pullman not yet tried but I am looking foward very much

- Sofitel I was in Budapest two years ago and I rated it better as the IC next door

I do not agree that same hotels conceptionally are outdated. If I want individuality (on holidays) I would chose MGallery e.g. On business stays I prefer conformity and standards.

CanuckFlyHigh Jun 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Dont touch my FPC certificates!

Admiral Ackbar Jun 16, 2016 10:28 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh (Post 26784739)
Dont touch my FPC certificates!

First thing that will dissappear, they already said it will fold in Le Club (which is horrible in comparison to FPC).

gilbertaue Jul 11, 2016 8:00 pm

Today is D-day.

The Combined Shareholders' Meeting called to decide on the acquisition of Fairmont Raffles Hotels International is scheduled to take place on July 12, 2016 at 9:00 am at the AccorHotels registered offices located 82 rue Henri Farman, Issy-les-Moulineaux

generikz Jul 12, 2016 2:08 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue (Post 26903353)
Today is D-day.

LesEchos.fr has a more comprehensive view of the shareholder meeting today:

Deux AG en quatre mois... Les actionnaires d’Accor sont sollicités. Aujourd'hui, ils doivent se prononcer sur deux gros sujets : le rachat du groupe d’hôtellerie de luxe FRHI et l’arrivée au capital du Qatar et de l’Arabie saoudite. Mais Sébastien Bazin, le PDG du groupe, devra surtout répondre de la stratégie du chinois Jin Jiang qui, en quelques mois, a successivement franchi les seuils de 5%, 10% et 15% du capital, faisant de lui désormais le premier actionnaire d’Accor.
Quick/dirty translation:

Two shareholder meetings in 4 months: Accor shareholders are working lot these days. Today they must vote on 2 major decisions: the acquisition of FRHI, and opening up Accor capital to Qatar and Saudi Arabia. But Sebastien Bazin, the CEO of the company, will also have to explain the strategy of the Chinese company Jin Kiang who, in only a few months, has passed the 5%, 10% and 15% threshold of ownership, making it Accor #1 shareholder.
Julien

starflyergold Jul 12, 2016 4:49 am

Some more info about the immediate plans: https://skift.com/2016/07/12/accor-f...rmont-raffles/ (though one should take anything from Skift with a pinch of salt)

At the shareholder meeting today it was confirmed that there will be one consolidated loyalty programme (Le Club). Time frame for completion: 18 months.

gilbertaue Jul 12, 2016 6:38 am

And now officially from Accor:
http://pressroom.accorhotels-group.c...and-swissotel/

ContinentalVoyager7 Jul 12, 2016 7:10 am

I quote from Skift

"Beginning immediately, customers can book stays at Fairmont, Raffles, and Swissôtel hotels through AccorHotels.com."

I would not think it will be that fast though.

RJ77 Jul 12, 2016 7:18 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue (Post 26904806)

They did grossly overpaid for this purchase. The CEO must be desperate.

stimpy Jul 12, 2016 7:27 am

Originally Posted by RJ77 (Post 26904970)
They did grossly overpaid for this purchase. The CEO must be desperate.

If they grossly overpaid, their share price would have been grossly hit badly. That has not happened and indeed the share price is up over 2% on the day.

I think what you can say is that Accor had to make this deal or their share price would have continued to decline from a couple of years ago.

One thing I noticed from that press release is that Accor is highlighting that of FHRI's 3 million loyalty members, 75% of them are from North America. That is clearly a strategic marketing win for Accor.