Wiki Posts
Search

New hotel openings 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:49 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
How about a "Raffles Legend Hotel" instead?
Honestly, I'm a Singaporean and if you ask me personally, I would love to see Raffles change to Soiftel Legend or managed by Soiftel Legend. BUT, if we do that, I can somewhat say that it will receive alot of backlash from locals. Local Singaporeans feel that Raffles is a Singapore brand and icon and would't really be keen on the change of name.

Plus, if we change Raffles Singapore to Sofitel, what happends to the other Raffles hotel around the world??
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I don't dispute that at all. But for a company, it may be different.

I don't think Accor would want to go down the route of Hilton for example which has too many sub brands. And on the face of it, IMO, the Pullman brand holds a stronger name than Swissotel. They are very similar in concept so having both brands would simple double up costs for marketing/products etc.
I disagree for these reasons.

1. The trend now is to have lots of brands. Aside from Hilton, look at Marriott. In their public statements about Starwood so far they say they are excited to operate 12 brands. I think the hotels have figured out how to deal operationally with all these brands and from a sales and marketing standpoint they see some real advantages.

2. While Swisshotel was obviously not as good as their peers when it came to sales and marketing, they do run pretty good hotels. The Swiss are highly respected in the hotel industry and I think for that reason the name will stay.

These are just my guesses. We'll see what happens.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:39 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
I really like the Swissotel brand and also echo the sentiment that "Swissness" stands for something in the hospitality industry.

That said, I don't think the Swissotel brand will survive.

Hotel companies create brands for two reasons:

1. To create some extra marketing value for a property, e.g. by providing a unique pre-defined set of features that travellers look for (e.g. free breakfast in some limited-service brands). Some brands can conceive ideas of "experiences" by cultivating a consistent profile, especially associated with luxury/lifestyle, with the image created by a few renowned "flagship" properties.

2. To protect the above while maintaining market share by keeping properties inconsistent with the "value-added" brands.

Reason 2. is e.g. why Accor originally unearthed Pullman, to facilitate Sofitel's upmarket rebranding while not dropping properties that were uneconomical to refurbish. By now, Pullman is finally getting some proper brand value of its own.

Back to Swissotel - the brand does not have anything that would put it in the 1. group. There are no iconic properties - the Zurich and Basel hotels are not much to write home about, and the Geneva ones have little to do with the rest of the network. There are no really distinguishable Swissotel features one would actively seek.

Since many Swissotels could use a refurb / update, I could see them being rebranded as they undergo "treatment". Accor has been working hard on giving identity and intrinsic value to the Sofitel (+subbrands), Pullman and MGallery brands. I can't see them developing a "Swissotel" identity, as it would fall anywhere within the territory of either of those three.

If there is geographic overlap, it's more with Sofitel than Pullman, plus the usual Swissotel is more like a Pullman - a slightly anonymous large business hotel with sizeable conference facilities. I would guess Accor will propose current Swissotel franchisees switching to Pullman in due course in most cases, with some properties perhaps becoming Sofitels or MGalleries.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:43 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Folks, we have a this lovely thread to discuss the Accor purchase of Fairmont and associates: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...swissotel.html

Please restrict discussions here to new hotels opening in 2016. @:-)

starflyergold
Le Club Accorhotels forum moderator
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:26 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Pullman Phuket Panwa Beach Resort

On 1 April Accor will take over the Radisson Blu Plaza Resort Phuket Panwa Beach and rebrand it as Pullman Phuket Panwa Beach Resort.
CARLSON Rezidor Hotel Group will no longer be operating the Radisson Blu Plaza Resort Phuket Panwa Beach from April 1 as AccorHotels takes over management of the property set to be rebranded as Pullman Phuket Panwa Beach Resort.
The resort is located on a beachfront at Makham Bay, and offers 211 rooms and villas, with facilities including four F&B establishment, two swimming pools, a spa, fitness centre and seven function rooms.
http://ttgasia.com/article.php?article_id=26509
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by starflyergold
On 1 April Accor will take over the Radisson Blu Plaza Resort Phuket Panwa Beach and rebrand it as Pullman Phuket Panwa Beach Resort.

http://ttgasia.com/article.php?article_id=26509
Looks amazing.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
It is great to see Accor expanding in many parts of Asia, and some places like Singapore, they are expanding to like having the biggest presence!

However, could they do something to Japan urgently (I think, Swissotel Osaka will become their best property there! After the merger that is.), and expand their presence in Taiwan as well. (Only at the airport now - interestingly so)
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by cocoleolol
Honestly, I'm a Singaporean and if you ask me personally, I would love to see Raffles change to Soiftel Legend or managed by Soiftel Legend. BUT, if we do that, I can somewhat say that it will receive alot of backlash from locals. Local Singaporeans feel that Raffles is a Singapore brand and icon and would't really be keen on the change of name.

Plus, if we change Raffles Singapore to Sofitel, what happends to the other Raffles hotel around the world??
How about Sofitel Legend Raffles Singapore?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by lingua101
How about Sofitel Legend Raffles Singapore?
That would be very good ^
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:42 am

Just read this in the news:

“AccorHotels already has signed three new UK ibis and Novotel properties at London Heathrow, London Luton and Birmingham this year.

They are Novotel Heathrow Bath Road, ibis Styles Birmingham, formerly the Portland Hotel and ibis Budget London Luton Airport. The two ibis properties are under construction.

Thomas Dubaere, managing director AccorHotels UK & Ireland said: “Our expansion plans demonstrate our commitment to strengthening the portfolio across our budget and midscale brand segments and are another important step in our ambitious 30 per cent increase for our UK network.”

http://www.impactpub.com.au/micebtn/...news&Itemid=50

The Novotel Bath Road will be welcome because their current hotel at Heathrow is not cheap to get to unless you use the Hotel Hoppa. I assume they are taking over a current property.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: Accor Plus Platinum l Best Western Diamond l Discovery Platinum l HHonors Diamond
Mercure Singapore Middle Road - Opening March 2016.

rooms size are small, 15sqm to 25sqm with loft room & seems like there will be a club lounge too
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by IzoukI
Mercure Singapore Middle Road - Opening March 2016.

rooms size are small, 15sqm to 25sqm with loft room & seems like there will be a club lounge too
That's a good block of land they've acquired, but rates certainly won't be cheap. It's going to be one expensive Mercure.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by goldencondor
J
The Novotel Bath Road will be welcome because their current hotel at Heathrow is not cheap to get to unless you use the Hotel Hoppa. I assume they are taking over a current property.

Does anyone know which hotel that is

a 159-room hotel.

http://www.travelmole.com/news_featu...ews_id=2020284
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Does anyone know which hotel that is
a 159-room hotel.

http://www.travelmole.com/news_featu...ews_id=2020284
A bit of googling has revealed this:

http://modgov.hillingdon.gov.uk/docu...l%20Report.pdf

It's a safe bet that's the one. So they're converting office space to a hotel.

HEATHROW POINT WEST 234 BATH ROAD HEATHROW

If you're heading west along Bath Road, that's just before the Radisson Blu Edwardian.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by goldencondor
A bit of googling has revealed this:

http://modgov.hillingdon.gov.uk/docu...l%20Report.pdf

It's a safe bet that's the one. So they're converting office space to a hotel.

HEATHROW POINT WEST 234 BATH ROAD HEATHROW

If you're heading west along Bath Road, that's just before the Radisson Blu Edwardian.
Good googling ^

So this building, accross the street from the Renaissance hotel.
With a (public) bus stop just in front of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.