Wiki Posts
Search

Review Pullman Hong Kong Park Lane

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:40 am

Pullman Hong Kong Park Lane - November 2017

My previous review is here:

Background:
My company got the last room which was about HK$4800+ and was an Executive Club room. I checked in at the Club Lounge and was upgraded to a Suite (I have no status).

Club Lounge - Happy Hour:
The food was fine but does not compare to the Grand Hyatt Macau.

Suite:

starflyergold likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:38 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Enquired about our booking this weekend in the family room about maybe getting the suite upgrade with a fold out bed in the other room.
Was told (different to my conversation with them last month) that we would not be able to take the suite as they cannot put the bed in the suite...

I am wondering maybe the best plan of going around this is checking in like has been done before. Ask to see the suite. Check it out.. And say okay thats fine..
If they say no I will mention no need for a fold out bed which will stump them. Also guessing that they will also try to ban my son from being in the lounge. I hope if they do they will allow us to have breakfast in the main restaurant instead.
gilbertaue likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:51 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by tris06
Enquired about our booking this weekend in the family room about maybe getting the suite upgrade with a fold out bed in the other room.
Was told (different to my conversation with them last month) that we would not be able to take the suite as they cannot put the bed in the suite...

I am wondering maybe the best plan of going around this is checking in like has been done before. Ask to see the suite. Check it out.. And say okay thats fine..
If they say no I will mention no need for a fold out bed which will stump them. Also guessing that they will also try to ban my son from being in the lounge. I hope if they do they will allow us to have breakfast in the main restaurant instead.
im here as well this weekend with my family, and in the same situation re room. Will see what happens.

Last time I stayed with one of my kids, they did allow me to have him in the lounge with me, although I had to promise that he would sit quietly and not make a fuss. Will be interesting to test that again on Saturday. They set a precedent last time. Otherwise, you’ll be fine to eat in the main restaurant.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:03 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Hey Pablo when are you checking in? What room type did you book? Maybe we can meet up in the lounge.

I see your from Sunshine coast. My family is from just behind the Gold Coast "Mount Tamborine".
We are checking in on Friday evening and checking out hopefully around Sunday mid afternoon. Seems the weather will be rainy and will start to get cold by Sunday.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Hi tris06

I’ll PM you.

Hey Pablo when are you checking in? What room type did you book? Maybe we can meet up in the lounge.

I see your from Sunshine coast. My family is from just behind the Gold Coast "Mount Tamborine".
We are checking in on Friday evening and checking out hopefully around Sunday mid afternoon. Seems the weather will be rainy and will start to get cold by Sunday.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

So the update was the hotel says they never offered an extra bed before for the suite so they suggest that we can be downgraded to a premium deluxe room (paying rate) and then upgraded (2 levels) I am told back to family premium room.... I had to sit down and really think over what they were doing. So it seems i will be saving around 150HKD per night so at least its something.

Dear Mr. M....,

Greetings from The Park Lane Hong Kong, a Pullman Hotel!

Please allow me to reply on Karlie’s behalf since she currently has her day off. Unfortunately, after double checking again I am not able to offer an extra bed to a Suite. I also believe that the Family Room is the room best suited for the amount of adults and child in your booking. For the inconvenience please allow me to change your booking and the rates from a Premium Family Room to a Premium Deluxe room and offer 2 room upgrades back to the Premium Family Room. Your booking is prepaid therefore the difference between the 2 room categories can be used for your incidental charges, and if there is an amount leftover then we would be pleased to refund the amount to you. As a comparison please find the rates below.

Room rate Premium Family Room per night: HK$1,811.6 + 10% Service Charge
Room rate Premium Deluxe Room per night: HK$1,671 + 10% Service Charge

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and we look forward to welcoming you back tomorrow and have a safe trip!

With kind regards,
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
So the update was the hotel says they never offered an extra bed before for the suite so they suggest that we can be downgraded to a premium deluxe room (paying rate) and then upgraded (2 levels) I am told back to family premium room.... I had to sit down and really think over what they were doing. So it seems i will be saving around 150HKD per night so at least its something.

Dear Mr. M....,

Greetings from The Park Lane Hong Kong, a Pullman Hotel!

Please allow me to reply on Karlie’s behalf since she currently has her day off. Unfortunately, after double checking again I am not able to offer an extra bed to a Suite. I also believe that the Family Room is the room best suited for the amount of adults and child in your booking. For the inconvenience please allow me to change your booking and the rates from a Premium Family Room to a Premium Deluxe room and offer 2 room upgrades back to the Premium Family Room. Your booking is prepaid therefore the difference between the 2 room categories can be used for your incidental charges, and if there is an amount leftover then we would be pleased to refund the amount to you. As a comparison please find the rates below.

Room rate Premium Family Room per night: HK$1,811.6 + 10% Service Charge
Room rate Premium Deluxe Room per night: HK$1,671 + 10% Service Charge

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and we look forward to welcoming you back tomorrow and have a safe trip!

With kind regards,
I believe this is a very fair and good handling of your situation. I hope you feel the same
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:37 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I will just leave it as is but I sort of am wondering how the check in will go as the family room and premium family are fully booked this weekend so as they are downgrading our booking a few levels lower I wonder if there is much chance them denying the upgrade back up to the premium family room even Though it was promised tonight... Always interesting if it does go that way. I will try to push it on allowing my son into the lounge as he is quite a well behaved boy. The hotel said we can have breakfast In the restuarant... this only occasion...lol loved how they said that.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:29 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

It’s taken me a few weeks to post this but I was wanting to make sure everything had settled before posting here.

I stayed here early Jan with my family (wife and 2 boys) and it was the worst stay at an Accor hotel I have ever had. So bad that I have actually raised this stay with Isabelle Birem, the VP fo Accor Loyalty, who is taking up my issues with the Asia leadership group.

This stay was at the end of a family holiday were we were mostly in Vietnam. In Vietnam, our boys were celebrated at the Pullman Saigon, Novotel Nha Trang and Pullman Danang. Each of those hotels were amazing. Great service. Boys were honored guests. We really had the Accor “Feel Welcome” treatment.

However at the Pullman Park Lane I was embarrassed, humiliated and felt discriminated against.

For the record, I’ve stayed at this hotel before, with one of my boys, who was 5 at the time, and they were great to us. We were upgraded, given lounge access, and felt welcome. But not this time.

Right from checkin, the staff were rude, and advised that we would not be upgraded, and would not be allowed in the lounge, because of our children. They rudely told me that I should have known this from last time, when my memory from the last time I stayed was that the lounge staff were so complimentary about my sons behaviour that I never expected that we would be “locked out”.

They refused an upgrade, as we had to stay on one of the 2 floors that they allow children on (it was either 7 and 8 or 8 and 9). They are the only 2 floors that children are allowed on.

In all my years as an Accor Platinum Member, staying on average 90 nights per year, my children have never been denied access to an executive lounge.

In the words from the GM, he writes:

“The Executive lounge no children policy was instated years back on an overwhelming demand of our executive floor guests, I do no doubt for a moment that your children, as you stated, are well traveled and behaved but unfortunately others are not and rarely in such cases parents take accountability.”

I think this is a cop out that parents do not take responsibility. It’s been a very rare occurrence in my experience that children are not well behaved in lounges. I generally find that most parents are quite strict on their children when in a lounge - for my boys, it’s always meant taking iPads with us so they can watch a movie or play games so they don’t run around.

I was advised after our stay that apparently we could have ordered “on demand drinks and canapes in the room during cocktail hour”, however this was never communicated by their staff.

When it comes to selecting a room, all guests with children are restricted to staying on 2 floors. The hotel sees this as a “benefit” and something to be proud of, but to me it means if I wanted a suite, or a room on a high floor, I cannot have this with children.

our systems on accorhotels.com restrict any potential bookings for children on our executive floors and suites

Our stay here was one of the worst I’ve ever had. To be humiliated in front of my family, and have my children be discriminated against, goes against the Accor Hotels motto of “Feel Welcome”. I felt anything but welcome.

What this hotel fails to understand in its children policy, is that many of the “Business People” who stay here have children, and whilst most of the time we travel without our children, when we travel on holidays, and frequent the same hotels we use while on business, we have a desire to share the love and welcome that we have become accustomed to when we spend weeks and weeks a year away from our families. So for the treatment towards me and my family to be so opposite to what I have come to expect from an Accor Hotel, gave me one of the most awful hotel experiences of my life. There was no welcome for my family, and my boys were left wondering what they had done wrong.

We we were allowed to have breakfast in the restaurant because we weren’t in the lounge, but I had to argue with one of the staff as they wanted to charge me for breakfast for one of my sons - I was abruptly and rudely told that I had to pay for him, to which I replied in no uncertain terms that I would not be paying for him and that he was complimentary. That staff member never came back to confirm that his breakfast was indeed free, but we left without paying anyway. No apology for the mistake.

There’s a few other things that happened on our stay as well but I won’t go into them, except that I’m still shocked that this hotel has zero heating in the rooms - if you are cold you have to ask for a portable fan heater as their aircon only cools the room. It doesn’t heat it when it’s the middle of winter.

I did make my thoughts known to the GM, and to his credit he did refund our stay, and offered an apology and explanation of their policies, however their policy is just wrong.

I’ll never stay here again. I’ll go an find a hotel that places value on children, and chooses to manage any misbehavior or disruptive children, in the same way that they manage misbehaving or disruptive adults.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:58 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Hey PabloM. A very frustrating stay I can imagine. I know many FTers would be happy in having a child-less lounge, but like you I faced hurdles in this property as well as the Novotel Clark Quay.
I agree too that parents like you and me make an effort to educate our children well, and they are often better behaved than some adults.

I sought help through the APAC HQ prior to my stay, so that made things simpler for me - though I know for a fact that I would have had the same issues you did, had I not sought for assistance. I also agree that on face value the staff in the lounge are friendly, but behind those smiles there is nothing genuine.

The response from the GM comes across almost hostile almost bordering on "don't bother coming back again". The "years ago" also doesn't hold as it was implemented pre AccorHotels time and Accorhotels has different policies to travelling with family (eg. Kids stay for Free).

I fully agree that lounge attendants should bear the responsibility to kick out children/adults who misbehave instead of having a blanket rule in banning one group of travelers.

#sympatheticdadsigningout
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:34 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks gilbertaue

The email I received from the GM wasn't really that hostile - he was trying to be nice I think but firmly state the hotel's policy. I'll paste the full email here to give more contact to what he said. But I can't say that the rest of the staff were polite - there was definitely some passive aggressive behaviour and hostility from them. I had 3 or 4 staff assure me that someone from management would contact me while in the hotel and I never heard from anyone.

As I said, a horrendous stay and I'll never stay there again.
Dear PabloM,

Thank you for your email below, and foremost my personal apology for embarrassing you and making you feel not welcome at The Park Lane Hong Kong.

We aim to extend true hospitality to our guests and clearly we failed to do so during your visit.

The Executive lounge no children policy was instated years back on an overwhelming demand of our executive floor guests, I do no doubt for a moment that your children,as you stated, are well traveled and behaved but unfortunately others are not and rarely in such cases parents take accountability.

I do understand that you perceive we have a discriminatory policy against families with children, however we are one of the few hotels in Hong Kong which purposely invested in building 2 floors of family rooms in order to be able to comfortably take care of families and their needs.

Whilst our systems on accorhotels.com restrict any potential bookings for children on our executive floors and suites, you are correct in saying that in your case booking a family room and enjoying lounge benefits due to the platinum card status does not provide such information to our guests. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I surely, with the team, will have a look into how we can improve such and be more transparent

For Platinum card holders with children we offer alternative services such as complimentary breakfast in PLAYT and on demand drinks and canapes in the room during cocktail hour.

The incident in PLAYT, whereby you were charged for 1 breakfast was due to the fact that the original booking was made for 2 adults and 1 child. Having said such I do agree that this should have been handled much better and in a much more courteous way.

Once again PabloM my sincere apologies for your stay with us and our failure to live up to your expectations, I will instruct my team to refund your stay to your credit card.

We do hope that you will give The Park Lane Hong Kong another chance to show our hospitality and for any of your future bookings in Hong Kong, please do contact me personally so I can take care

Sincerely,
I did find that email from him insightful as to how they think. It's obvious that staff did not follow their policies as at no point were we advised that we could order drinks and snacks on demand from our room - to be honest, if they had of told me that it would have served as a bit of a consolation although not fully been acceptable to me. (We were allowed to take a drink and some food from the lounge when we tried to enter and take it back to our room, but we certainly didn't feel welcomed to do that - it felt like it was more of a 'this will shut you up and get you out of here. No one at the hotel wanted to help - it was just one brick wall after another.

One of the things the staff at the front desk (Platinum Checkin) told me was that it was clearly stated on the website that you cannot take children into the lounge. Well, I went back to my room to try and find it and no where does it state that children are not invited - hence the GM's comment that he will look into how they can make this known - but I'm sure that they would lose bookings if they stated this on the website.

I'm just hoping that the escalation to Isabelle might shake the tree a bit - will be interested to know if anyone has a positive experience here in the future - but as I said - I would never stay here again.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I feel sorry for your experience PabloM. It was unfortunate to have met you (outside the lounge that evening) when such issues were happening. I also would not ever consider staying at this hotel with children unless they changed the rules. I probably was naughty and just ignored their requests to send us out as I entered the lounge towards the end of the happy hour (last 15 mins before they packed up) which was barely tolerated but I insisted considering we paid extra for the 3rd person to get lounge access. It did not worry me about having the breakfasts downstairs however on check out they did try to sneak a 2000HKD charge for 2 mornings of Breakfasts for 3 adults. So my bill was blowing out to like 7000HKD all in for 2 nights so I definitely noticed. Which was poor they didn't even bother to correct without me having to point it out.

The hotel without the child issues would be great so they just need to be more flexible plus they could definitely make 1 level on the executive level for children allowed as that would allow at least some kind of upgrade for members and its honestly not asking for much. I thought it did suck being on the 8th floor for the amount paid even with a park view it was nothing amazing. I will do the reviews once the Chinese New Year has started and I get more time on my hands.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

It was good meeting you Tris06 - despite the cranky mood that I was in.

You are more forgiving than I am as I would atay was here again with or without kids. I just won’t give my money to a hotel like that.

There is an arrogance that many of the staff have so it doesn’t surprise me that they tried to charge you for items that should have been free.

Hope we bump into each other again where there are things to celebrate about a hotel, rather than to share the pain of being discriminated against because of our children.

I feel sorry for your experience PabloM. It was unfortunate to have met you (outside the lounge that evening) when such issues were happening. I also would not ever consider staying at this hotel with children unless they changed the rules. I probably was naughty and just ignored their requests to send us out as I entered the lounge towards the end of the happy hour (last 15 mins before they packed up) which was barely tolerated but I insisted considering we paid extra for the 3rd person to get lounge access. It did not worry me about having the breakfasts downstairs however on check out they did try to sneak a 2000HKD charge for 2 mornings of Breakfasts for 3 adults. So my bill was blowing out to like 7000HKD all in for 2 nights so I definitely noticed. Which was poor they didn't even bother to correct without me having to point it out.

The hotel without the child issues would be great so they just need to be more flexible plus they could definitely make 1 level on the executive level for children allowed as that would allow at least some kind of upgrade for members and its honestly not asking for much. I thought it did suck being on the 8th floor for the amount paid even with a park view it was nothing amazing. I will do the reviews once the Chinese New Year has started and I get more time on my hands.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:25 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Children being barred from lounges is increasingly becoming the norm rather than the exception across many countries and chains, the good hotels make alternative arrangements that add value to their offering such as a special executive kids club. The poorer run hotels just make rules and out off customers. I have no desire to visit the Pullman, with or without my 9yo fellow traveller.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
I didn't stay at the hotel but I went to the Skye restaurant on the 27th floor for lunch and I have to say that the food is really good. They have a very nice 3 courses lunch menu for HKD 300, including a mocktail and coffee.

Starter: pan fried foie gras

Desert from the desert trolley: mille feuille

Desert from the desert trolley: mango panacotta

Main course: pan fried black cod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.