Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Master Thread: ex-Sofitel Berlin Kurfürstendamm [no longer part of Accor]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master Thread: ex-Sofitel Berlin Kurfürstendamm [no longer part of Accor]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:54 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by fransknorge
I have a stay there next week. Is there still limitation of lounge access for Platinium member ? How is the breakfast spread in the lounge ?
I'm afraid that there is still limitation with the lounge access. If the occupancy is high, they most likely won't let platinums to get in unless one have booked a room with the access. During my stay, the occupancy was low.

Breakfast at the lounge is okay: selections of a few different cheeses and cold cuts, gravlax, fresh cheese, wide spread of breads and pastries, basic veggies, fruit salad, yoghurt, and muesli. You'll get your stomach full if you wish so. Bacon and scrambled eggs are the only hot items. If one wish to have something else, for example omelette, waffles, pancakes, they costs extra now.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
I'm afraid that there is still limitation with the lounge access. If the occupancy is high, they most likely won't let platinums to get in unless one have booked a room with the access. During my stay, the occupancy was low.

Breakfast at the lounge is okay: selections of a few different cheeses and cold cuts, gravlax, fresh cheese, wide spread of breads and pastries, basic veggies, fruit salad, yoghurt, and muesli. You'll get your stomach full if you wish so. Bacon and scrambled eggs are the only hot items. If one wish to have something else, for example omelette, waffles, pancakes, they costs extra now.
Hi wkndtraveller !
I read your review of your last stay in the other thread. You were saying you were very happy of the stay, but you were listing a certain number of issues (false upgrade, no more warm options at breakfast, charging you for the breakfast the day of your early check-in, birthday celebration forgotten, etc) which would have not make me happy at all. After my stay there and reading your new review, this hotel still leaves me a kind of bitter taste in the mouth. It is clearly a good hotel, but their Elite treatment is just non satisfactory IMHO.
And when you say in your post I am quoting above that the extended lounge is not that much extended and so it will be still difficult for Platinum members to access the lounge is a real pity and just show that they don't want to grant this access.
For my next stay in Berlin (nothing planned yet), I am still debating to return there or to go somewhere else, because I didn't like at all the way they handle loyalty. I understand you feel differently and there's certainly nothing bad with that as they have treated you rather well until now, but I am just missing a WOW effect or something approaching at least.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I read your review of your last stay in the other thread. You were saying you were very happy of the stay, but you were listing a certain number of issues (false upgrade, no more warm options at breakfast, charging you for the breakfast the day of your early check-in, birthday celebration forgotten, etc) which would have not make me happy at all. After my stay there and reading your new review, this hotel still leaves me a kind of bitter taste in the mouth. It is clearly a good hotel, but their Elite treatment is just non satisfactory IMHO.
My stay was satisfactory enough, yes. It could have been better but nothing was really wrong and I received all the benefits I should. If I didn't, the review would have been more negative.

Cons that I listed in my review were more observations on what the hotel could or should do better. I, for example, had breakfast included in my room rate so I was satisfied with that in a main restaurant where I was able to enjoy complimentary Eggs Benedict and sparkling wine. I just wanted to express my opinion on the lounge breakfast, too. If one would like to have full buffet breakfast, book a room with breakfast.

The room upgrade from luxury to luxury club room is an official upgrade as far as I know and the room was large enough and had nice views so I decided to keep it and not to complain. Of course, it would have been nice to receive junior suite or something but the room I got was just fine.

The poor fruit platter as a welcome gift was the most disappointing element but then I have received similar VIP treatment in other Sofitels, too. On the other hand, I value more personal service over the fruits as a VIP treatment such as someone from the staff showing your room and coming later to chat with you.

What comes to the birthday present, I should have ordered a cake and pay for it to be honest if I wanted to make sure there is something in the room waiting for us. But yes, the elite treatment isn't their strength here. They do only what they are forced to do by LCAH.

And when you say in your post I am quoting above that the extended lounge is not that much extended and so it will be still difficult for Platinum members to access the lounge is a real pity and just show that they don't want to grant this access.
I feel the same but also understand their stringency: the lounge really is small. However, always when I have been at the hotel the lounge haven't been full.

For my next stay in Berlin (nothing planned yet), I am still debating to return there or to go somewhere else, because I didn't like at all the way they handle loyalty. I understand you feel differently and there's certainly nothing bad with that as they have treated you rather well until now, but I am just missing a WOW effect or something approaching at least.
I agree that wow factor is still missing. For me, the location of this hotel is better than the other Sofitel in the city and I prefer to stay at Sofitel. If they some day won't let me in to the lounge, that's my last stay at this hotel I guess.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:25 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
wkndtraveler, thanks for the detailed information. I will see how it goes next weeek, hopefully I will secure lounge access. I would be annoyed to pay for breakfast considering it is 30 Euros per night.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:25 am

You are welcome.

Add to my previous post: considering what I paid vs. what I got, I find the hotel good value for money. I paid 100€ per night including breakfast for two.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:56 am

I have a rate if 100 EUR per night without breakfast, for a Superior Room.
I got an e-mail from the hotel answering my request about lounge availability, specifically asking about the mornings. They are saying "Tough titties, if you want to guarantee lounge access please book an executive room". I am thinking of replying that lounge access it also guaranteed for Platinium member ?
I might add I am not very happy about this stay due to the booking process being painful and buggy, including the impossibility to use points without other reason than "it does not work".

Last edited by fransknorge; Jan 12, 2017 at 8:02 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:11 pm

I am thinking of replying that lounge access it also guaranteed for Platinium member ?
Unfortunately, the lounge access isn't a guaranteed benefit. According to Le Club AccorHotels, it's "upon request and subject to availability on arrival at the hotel, if existing."

If I was in a similar situation I would request the lounge access again at the check-in and at the same time inspect the room availability on the internet. If they are still at that point selling rooms with lounge access and they still deny the lounge access, I would request to see someone from the management and challenge them to explain what's going on. Then I would probably escalate the issue further to SVP of Le Club.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I got an e-mail from the hotel answering my request about lounge availability, specifically asking about the mornings. They are saying "Tough titties, if you want to guarantee lounge access please book an executive room". I am thinking of replying that lounge access it also guaranteed for Platinium member
Unfortunately, the lounge access isn't a guaranteed benefit. According to Le Club AccorHotels, it's "upon request and subject to availability on arrival at the hotel, if existing."

If I was in a similar situation I would request the lounge access again at the check-in and at the same time inspect the room availability on the internet. If they are still at that point selling rooms with lounge access and they still deny the lounge access, I would request to see someone from the management and challenge them to explain what's going on. Then I would probably escalate the issue further to SVP of Le Club.
This is so tiresome
Dav77 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:54 am

This is so tiresome
Yes it is. And very inconvenient. But if we want to see change, I think reporting to HQ or at least complaining to management must be done.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Yes it is. And very inconvenient. But if we want to see change, I think reporting to HQ or at least complaining to management must be done.
Absolutely. And Accorhotelsconcierge (Amy) and Accor HQ are monitoring this forum, so they read us.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: Kris flyer, Sofitel
Thank you for this very nice review Starflyergold ^
Do you know how this hotel compare to the other Sofitel in Berlin ?
We are "regulars" well at least 5 stays at the Sofitel Gendarmenmarkt and it is one of our favorite hotels in the world! It is small and the only bar is in Aigner restaurant which is attached.

There is a tiny gym up on the top floor but it is adequate for our needs.

The staff is all friendly and helpful and the location is great, steps from Konzerthaus, short walk to Staatsoper(if it ever reapoens) and can walk to museums.

Right by #2 U bahn which goes to Alexanderplatz and beyond and to Deutsche Oper, Ka Da We and Kudamm in the other.

We are always given a major upgrade and when suites are likely to be booked, they always offer a nice discount. Generic "Platinum" may not get you as much as being repeat guests.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:50 am

I have a rate if 100 EUR per night without breakfast, for a Superior Room.
I got an e-mail from the hotel answering my request about lounge availability, specifically asking about the mornings. They are saying "Tough titties, if you want to guarantee lounge access please book an executive room". I am thinking of replying that lounge access it also guaranteed for Platinium member ?
I might add I am not very happy about this stay due to the booking process being painful and buggy, including the impossibility to use points without other reason than "it does not work".

This is so tiresome
Absolutely. And Accorhotelsconcierge (Amy) and Accor HQ are monitoring this forum, so they read us.
The whole situation annoyed me so much I cancelled my booking and just book with Hilton. The last time I was there I had good treatment and a consistent experience.
It seems this Sofitel does not care about high tier member of their loyalty program, so no point in giving them my business.
Dav77 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:53 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
The whole situation annoyed me so much I cancelled my booking and just book with Hilton. The last time I was there I had good treatment and a consistent experience.
It seems this Sofitel does not care about high tier member of their loyalty program, so no point in giving them my business.
Good call fransknorge.

[Accor HQ: Please take note]
Dav77 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:37 am

Hoping for some guidance/advice.

I am Platinum and planning a stay in March for which I'm considering booking a Junior Suite with the hope of being upgraded to a Prestige suite, maybe even booking prestige to get Opera which is the highest level.I have heard stories of some hotels refusing to upgrade to their highest/high level suites and don't want to get caught out if its not even an option.

Does anyone have an experience of suite upgrades? What are people's experiences thoughts about the suites here?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:40 am

The general manager of Sofitel Berlin Kudamm has changed at some point last year.

Anyone considering this hotel might be interested in to know that platinum members of Le Club are now welcome to the club lounge. The hotel confirmed this to me.
IMH, Goldorak and Dav77 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.