FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Silver status for honeymoon (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1614098-silver-status-honeymoon.html)

tris06 Sep 19, 2014 10:00 am

Silver status for honeymoon

I joined the accor program last year and didn't think much of it until very recently. Was given an account by the manager of the Novotel in Thailand as i was slightly interested.. Decided to go accor (was considering IHG rewards) as we will rarely ever travel to US in our lifetimes and most travel will be focused in Asia, Europe and Australasia.

Anyway now we have lots of hotel stays within the next 12 months i believe we should be able to make gold at-least by mid-year but the question i want to ask is:

We are having a honeymoon in March/April next year and should be silver for March and Maybe Gold by April as we are going to do a long trip in Europe mostly Netherlands,Belgium, France, Switzerland and Germany.

Will having the silver status plus being our honeymoon and have a digital copy to prove so (Sure many people try to say there on honeymoon every year) what you think our chances of getting hotel upgrades? Shame we wont be at gold by then but yeah it sucks starting from nothing.

Anyway any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Fims Sep 19, 2014 12:26 pm

Considering the benefits of Silver:
From 10 nights or 2,500 points
Le Club Accorhotels Customer Care
Priority Check-in(2)
Advance access to private sales on accorhotels.com
Free Internet worldwide(3)
Late check-out on request and upon availability upon arrival
Welcome drink
Additional benefits depending on brand

I would not count on it that much. If you do not stay that often, I would suggest you have a look at http://www.slh.com/the-club/ and http://www.slh.com/the-club/terms-and-conditions/ - there you could get upgrades from first booking onwards (and free breakfast as well). Nice small hotels are certainly also nicer for honeymoons ;) Of course, a nicely written letter in advance to hotel could sometimes help as well, perhaps ;)

gilbertaue Sep 19, 2014 9:27 pm

If $ is not too much of an issue, why not consider the post a fee threads down and go for the club actionnaires option and get yourself platinum. With that you will not have issues getting upgrades in most European Accor properties and you will have status until the day you decide to sell your shares.

tris06 Sep 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Well

Well as you said you can only try. I just thought the chances would be better if we had at-least a silver membership with the special circumstance. Thanks anyway.

I will consider the club actionnaires as an option. But if not otherwise we'll just see if we get lucky. The money is not the problem but whether i will use it enough to get return on the value.

gilbertaue Sep 20, 2014 1:04 am

Well, it would "cost" you $2000.. It costs you either rather loss or the profit during the time you hold the shares, so it could go either way. You can always sell them off again when you know you won't use Accor properties again.

tris06 Sep 20, 2014 3:22 am

ahh

Well i am actually keen with this idea.

I have access to opening a Hong Kong bank account on Monday morning I see they provide stock/share market services. But not sure about international markets. Assuming this is all good i will purchase 51 shares. And upon reciept from the bank of the purchase i can contact the member group? I should get the reciept by email the same day of the purchase.

I have 2 stays coming up (6nights total) in New Zealand from the 29th of October to the 5th using their 2/3 nights paid. So if i can get this all done by the time i check in on the Monday that would be great.

The only thing i care about the company is if its making a decent profit and continuely. I like the fact if they pay a dividend sometimes so i can claim its an investment still. And i think i noticed that they bought some properties in the UK recently so they seem to be reinvesting their profits (hopefully not borrowing lots of money to do it).

I will post this on the other thread you mentioned so people can respond to me there.
Letting my fiancee know my plan tonight. If she gives it the go ahead i can start withdrawing the money. It will slightly stretch my plans to finance my investment house/renovation in the UK but it should be fine to put aside the money.

Thanks all :)

gilbertaue Sep 20, 2014 8:34 am

Great, hope it works out! I'm not a shareholder and neither do I dabble in shares, so can't comment on the mechanics. Im sure one of the other Accor loyalists :) here will reply on that thread.

enzo0511 Sep 20, 2014 1:21 pm

the problem is all about enforcing soft benefits in France, mainly composed of franchised hotels

most of them don't respect elite statuses

no matter which level you are, very little chances to get an upgrade in France, sadly :(

gilbertaue Sep 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Hit and miss and depends on the class of hotel too. No issues had at pullman montparnasse.

Goldorak Sep 21, 2014 1:56 am

Originally Posted by enzo0511 (Post 23556134)
the problem is all about enforcing soft benefits in France, mainly composed of franchised hotels

most of them don't respect elite statuses

no matter which level you are, very little chances to get an upgrade in France, sadly :(

Il agree with you, outside Pullman and Sofitel.

enzo0511 Sep 21, 2014 6:27 am

i guess that brands are very pushy with upscale hotels no matter where they are located

tris06 Sep 21, 2014 9:17 am

I want to thank-you for all the insightful information.

Just wondering what can i expect for a budget under 300usd (per night) max in like Paris for example which i can assume would be one of our most expensive stays for the honeymoon? Would be late March. I am hoping between now and then they will put up their 50% off deals which would really be nice. I would like to keep our stays mid range or higher in hotel chain (Novotel or higher).

Currently looking to put aside 2000/2500 usd for hotels (10-12 nights) but of course would love to get it lower if can stick with the upper brands.

Thanks again
Tris

gilbertaue Sep 21, 2014 10:05 am

If you can get a good rate, book the Pullman Eiffel Tower. Get a room with a nice view and send off a short email to the hotel prior to arrival that it's your honeymoon.

enzo0511 Sep 21, 2014 2:41 pm

my advice is to email each hotel separately with a copy of your marriage certificate attached

my friends did that a few years ago for a honeymoon in Europe (with another hotel chain) but it worked

tris06 Sep 22, 2014 12:37 am

okay

Well i spent 3 hrs going to the banks in Hong Kong. HSBC,Bank of China (HK branch) and Hang Seng and non of them could trade french stocks. I did go to 1 stock trading company and they only traded HK and US stocks.

So my next option would be to look for companies like E-trade online.