Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Sofitel Hamburg [to close permanently 30 June 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Is there actually a proper review of this hotel? The closest I could find were two old threads, one championing the bed and the other some comedy piece about a bar of soap.

Is the something more substantial?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So I'm going to bump my own thread since the answer to my first question clearly is 'no'.

I stay in Hamburg quite a lot but never tried the Sofitel on Alter Wall until last week (I usually stay at the Louis Jacob). It was a bit of a last-minute booking and I needed to be in the city centre early the next morning; I had arrived late at night (following a flight delay) so made no use of the spa/pool or any other hotel facility.

I had booked the cheapest possible room and was given an upgrade to a junior suite on the second floor at check-in (Platinum status).

The room was quite nice and I would have enjoyed spending more time in it. The view was on one of the canals that run between the Alster and the Elbe. Here are some pictures I snapped with my iPhone (excuse the quality of the pictures; I should have turned off the bright lights). I'd certainly stay here again.

A view towards the desk and door. Slightly strange that the door is to your back when you are working, but much the better view this way.

The bed. Very comfortable.

Another view of the bed.

A view into the room from the bed area.

Overall I prefer the rooms at the Hyatt, but the location of the Sofitel (that's also the case in Berlin!)
EcotoneHR likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Thanks LondonElite,

Appreciate the review as I've walked past this hotel several times when staying in Hamburg but not yet stayed here either, so your review helps greatly ^

A couple of questions:

-how was the size of the bathroom?
-did you have a separate shower and bath? (or no bath/combined shower over bath?)
-amenities? (as plat. did you get a gift at all?)
-did you try the internet? Was it free or what was the cost?
-Hermes bath products or something else?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide! ^
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BotB
Thanks LondonElite,

Appreciate the review as I've walked past this hotel several times when staying in Hamburg but not yet stayed here either, so your review helps greatly ^

A couple of questions:

-how was the size of the bathroom?
-did you have a separate shower and bath? (or no bath/combined shower over bath?)
-amenities? (as plat. did you get a gift at all?)
-did you try the internet? Was it free or what was the cost?
-Hermes bath products or something else?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide! ^
Thanks BotB!

- Bathroom is nicely sized, Sink and large mirror on the right, shower stall on the left, next to a toilet, and a bath at the end wall. Tiled in white, clean, fresh.
- Yes!
- No gift, but I did get the standard drink voucher, which went towards a double Monkey 47 G&T. Highly recommended!
- Free internet, but slow slow slow, like all Sofitels. Really annoying.
- Hermes bath products, which I really like.

I would certainly stay here again, but like most Sofitels, the bar is boring in design and clientele. I don't get it!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: ALL
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Thanks BotB!
I would certainly stay here again, but like most Sofitels, the bar is boring in design and clientele. I don't get it!
That's too bad as the Bar Chef a few years ago when I worked there was Mario Kappes who just happend to have been awarded two Mixology Bar awards ( http://www.bild.de/lifestyle/2014/li...0890.bild.html ) ... He is now at "Le Lion" in walking distance from the hotel.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martin_paris
That's too bad as the Bar Chef a few years ago when I worked there was Mario Kappes who just happend to have been awarded two Mixology Bar awards ( http://www.bild.de/lifestyle/2014/li...0890.bild.html ) ... He is now at "Le Lion" in walking distance from the hotel.
That's good to know! I can guess why he left [yawn].
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Any recent experience in Sofitel Hamburg to share? I'm going to stay there in a couple of weeks.
Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:55 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Any recent experience in Sofitel Hamburg to share? I'm going to stay there in a couple of weeks.
Thanks
Looking forward to the indepth review
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:27 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Thanks
Anything less than 20pictures won't do
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I like challenges
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:34 pm
Accor 25+ Badge

I like challenges
And no "comedy pieces about soap", they have been done
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

And no "comedy pieces about soap", they have been done
It's always tricky to identify sarcasm (and I should know, my wife tells me). I'll add the obligatory to the end of this, noting that you have acknowledged my identification of yourself as the comedian.

Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:09 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's always tricky to identify sarcasm (and I should know, my wife tells me). I'll add the obligatory to the end of this, noting that you have acknowledged my identification of yourself as the comedian.

😇
Old May 23, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Review: Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall

Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Alter Wall 40 Hamburg, DE 20457

Review: Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall (21 Photos)

Here is my review of a 2 night stay at Sofitel Hambourg Alter Wall. An overall good stay, even if some aspects are perfectible ;-)

A Veuve Cliquot champagne bar at the entrance of the hotel.

Check In

Checked-in late (11:30 pm) but the lobby was still busy. The lobby is large.

The check-in process was pretty quick, but a bit robotic without any feeling of being a top tier member of Le club, of feeling welcome in general. No mention of room category booked/granted. A welcome letter was given with the drink voucher. I didn't ask whether an upgrade had been granted or not, to discover it seeing the room. I booked a Classic double room and received superior room which corresponds to the same room but with canal view instead of city view. In that respect, it is interesting to read the Platinum welcome letter from the GM (see picture below)

Don't you see immediately what's missing ????

You probably guessed right : the room upgrade, the most important plat benefit is not even mentioned in this letter...no comment. Technically, I don't complain about anything here because they have upgraded my room as the room with canal view is a different category/price compared to the city view, even if the rooms are the same in term of size and equipments. I will come back later on another interesting aspect of this letter :-)

Room

The superior room:

View from the windows:

The bathroom:

On the plus side for the room :

• I really liked the modern style
  • A small sofa in addition to the bed
  • Nice lightnings
  • Sufficient space for storage
  • Large bathroom with marble (the marble style is a bit dated and corresponds to the kind of marble bathrooms we had  20-25 years ago in France), but no big deal, still very acceptable. Separate shower and bathtub. 
  • BOSE speaker but which was not working with the aux output, so only with radio. I told the front desk but it was still the same after signaling it.
  • Zero noise either from inside or outside. Just great for resting.

On the minus side for the room :

• no Nespresso machine, and not even a kettle/instant coffee. In this hotel, the Nespresso machine is for the top room categories only...
  • No safety box. As for the Nespresso, the safety box seems also to be reserved to the top room categories

Come on Accor, this is Sofitel !! How on earth can you still have rooms in Sofitel, your top brand, without a coffee machine and a safety box ???

• as too often in Germany/Austria, the double bed comes with 2 single duvet. I know it is standard practice in those countries, but I JUST HATE THAT  ;-)

I said above I wanted to come back on another aspect of the GM welcome letter : the line VIP treatment : " a small gesture is waiting for you in the room. Bonne degustation". Close to the desk, there was a little drawer which was 2/3 open and with a half bottle of red wine in. The fact it was a half-bottle, the way it was displayed in this 2/3 open drawer, the letter mentioning "Bonne degustation" and VIP treatment immediately made me think, this is it :-)) And I already had some full bottle of wine in some Accor hotels as Plat VIP treatment and one very recent Trip Advisor review on this hotel was even mentioning a half bottle of champagne as a Plat gift !!! But you probably also guess where I'm going...I discovered at check-out a €22 charge on my statement for this half-bottle of wine and I was told this was part of mini-bar. And so what was the VIP Treatment/ gesture for which the GM wishes you "Bonne degustation"? "oh, those were the 2 small (150 ml) bottles of Apple juice you had on the desk". So, now you know that at Sofitel Hamburg, the VIP platinum treatment consists in 2 small bottles of Apple juice which should cost them €0.5 each. Laughable no ? So Starflyergold had his VIP soap bar story at this hotel, and I had my apple juice and my €22 charge. Bonne dégustation les amis !!

Dining

The bar has a pretty nice outside seating area along the canal. Very pleasant. The drink voucher is valid for almost everything, which is a big plus. I had dinner at the restaurant. Was hit and miss. A bit overpriced as often in Sofitel restaurant but why not if the quality is here ? I took their asparagus menu, but I had to send the plate back because a good half of the fish piece was uncooked. The staff acted in a good way of course replacing the dish and they kindly offered me a 30% discount on the bill, but the whole thing took about 2hrs (for an appetizer and a main course).

There is a very nice library with comfortable armchairs and sofas. Why don't they use this place or part of it to make a Club Millesime ?

Overall

Overall, I had a very good stay despite the little (annoying) things I have mentioned above and I recommend this hotel and would go back without hesitation. But, please Accor, work on those little details (the competition is everywhere around you).

Review: Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 23, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I have 21

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.