Novotel Queenstown, NZ

Old Mar 8, 14, 11:27 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Novotel Queenstown, NZ

Im currently staying at the Novotel Lakeside Queenstown and thought Id post a few notes:

Elements Cafe and Bar:

had lunch there: decent menu, reasonable drink prices, good service, nice and quiet atmosphere in the inner courtyard - overall very pleasant

hotel location:

The location probably is the main selling point of the hotel: its both on the lakefront and very close to the town center with plenty of restaurants, cafes and shops nearby. Its certainly in the more lively part of town, so if youre looking for a quiet place, you may want to look elsewhere, but otherwise the location is perfect

check-in:

Check-in time is 2p.m. I arrived shortly thereafter and there were no rooms available. Front desk agent was nice enough to give me two drink vouchers which was a nice gesture, though they were only valid for "house wine" or "house beer". Given that the price difference between the house wine and other wines was ~$2/glass it seemed a little cheap, but no big complaint. Room was finally ready at 3.10p.m.

Platinum benefits:

This is where the experience unfortunately went downhill:

Platinum upgrade:

The interaction with the front desk staff certainly left a lot to be desired:

me: I was wondering whether theres a chance getting a room with a lakeview?
agent 1: sorry, were completely sold out.
me: Too bad, so there are absolutely no rooms with a lakeview available?
agent 1: sorry, no.

go to room, go online, "surprise": The Novotel website still shows availability for a Lakeview room...back downstairs

me: I asked your colleague about a Platinum upgrade and he told me there were none available, however the website shows availability for the next room category
agent 2 types away: sorry, nothing is available
me: Well, there was 5min ago on the Novotel website.
agent 3: Maybe for part of your stay.
me: Well, I entered the exact same dates of my stay and there was availability for a lakeview room.
agent 3: Oh yes, but there will be an upgrade fee.
me: Actually I was referring to the Platinum room upgrade which should be free.
agent 3: Ill make some new keys

Seriously?!?

internet:

The hotel offers two tiers of internet connectivity: basic and high-speed. Only the basic option is free for Platinum members. Definitely not a fan of that policy. Though fortunately the basic internet connection is still usable.

room:

The Superior room I originally booked had views of the courtyard and various rooms on the other side of the building. Pretty quiet, but no views and a lack of privacy.

The Lakeview room Im staying in now certainly is more pleasant, though the view of the lake is mostly obstructed by large trees (this seems to be the case with most lakeview rooms since the hotel only has 4 floors). Also, the hotel is separated from the lake by various walking paths and a playground, further limiting the views. I would call most of the lakeview rooms "rooms facing the lake" or "partial lakeview rooms", but calling them "lakeview rooms" is a bit of a stretch IMO - definitely wouldnt pay an extra $80/night for that view.

preliminary conclusion:

not bad, but far from impressive, especially when it comes to Platinum benefits. There certainly are plenty of other hotels with better views and/or elite benefits.
tris06 likes this.
Old May 21, 18, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Accor Gold, Star Alliance Silver
any latest experience with this hotel? Planning to stay at the hotel
Old May 21, 18, 6:02 pm

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Try for a status match with Hilton and stay at the Hilton Queenstown instead
Old May 22, 18, 4:24 am

Programs: NZ Koru, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FGunawan View Post
Try for a status match with Hilton and stay at the Hilton Queenstown instead
Except its miles away from town!

Originally Posted by vpchandr View Post
any latest experience with this hotel? Planning to stay at the hotel
St Moritz is a great property. Have been there for drinks etc a couple of times although not stayed, and great spot. Short (5 min) wall to town. I would imangine Great Lake views if thats important to you.
Old May 22, 18, 11:11 am

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I agree the number of rooms are limited for a true lakeview. Its fine otherwise. I would consider trying the more expensive options in Queenstown.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: