Hotels leaving Accor

Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:53 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Ibis Style- Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia

Hi,

Did not find this anywhere, but the Ibis Style Ipoh left the system for some time. Not sure since when or why, but I was surprised recently when searching for this property it was not there anymore.

Am curious why they left as it was not too bad a hotel. It became hotel MU.

Would be curious to know why they left the system in less than a year (I believe). Stayed early 2016 when it was rather new and this year is gone.

Although a few Accorhotels did pop up now in some interesting locations in Malaysia.

Cheers!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:46 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Did not find this anywhere, but the Ibis Style Ipoh left the system for some time. Not sure since when or why, but I was surprised recently when searching for this property it was not there anymore.

Would be curious to know why they left the system in less than a year (I believe). Stayed early 2016 when it was rather new and this year is gone.

Although a few Accorhotels did pop up now in some interesting locations in Malaysia.

Cheers!
Agree.
Novotel Taiping?

Would love to see a mid/low tier property in Johor and a mid tier in Penang.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Unhappy Since 2014, actually

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Did not find this anywhere, but the Ibis Styles Ipoh left the system for some time.
Not sure since when or why, but I was surprised recently when searching for this property it was not there anymore.

Cheers!
This was our go to hotel when we visit Ipoh every year especially during CNY.
The rooms are pretty small but I've gotten upgrades to the bigger room so for status members, it was a good deal.
I believe it's been open since early 2014, as our first stay was 18/02/2015 but the booking was made in Aug. 2014.
We previously stayed at the Impiana Hotel which was a rather old property.

I've been looking around for hotels in Ipoh as there are a few new properties but I think we'll be staying here again next Feb. as the location suits us best.
The rates have not increased much (approx. RM 180++) during the CNY peak period but this week, it's only RM 150++

Of course it sucks that non-Malaysians will have to pay the new tourist tax of RM10 per room, per night.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: CX DM, A3*G, Accor Adv. Plus Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hlton Diamond
Sofitel Wanda Bejing

I am in the executive lounge of the hotel.
Sofitel Beijing Wanda will change to Wanda group hotel and not property of Accor anymore since 1/Jan/2018

This also mark end of Sofitel in Beijing and the next level of brands will be Pullman Beijing south ( however long away from the city for at least 30-45mins by metro) and 2 Grand Mercure hotels in the city.

Sofitel Beijing is my favourite Sofitel in China because the lounge is offer very good food! unfortunely, I will not back because useless of my Accor Plus platinum status!

Good of luck to all staff!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
That is a shame as I never tried it so now we know of 2 sofitel's leaving Accor in China. It also makes it more complicated about which hotel to choose as yes the Pullman South hotel does seem a bit out of town.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:37 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Surprised to see Sofitel leaving the Beijing market like this. I guess soon enough we can stay at the Fairmont (once integration happens).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by starflyergold
I guess soon enough we can stay at the Fairmont (once integration happens).
May be but at which price...
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by derektin
I am in the executive lounge of the hotel.
Sofitel Beijing Wanda will change to Wanda group hotel and not property of Accor anymore since 1/Jan/2018

This also mark end of Sofitel in Beijing and the next level of brands will be Pullman Beijing south ( however long away from the city for at least 30-45mins by metro) and 2 Grand Mercure hotels in the city.

Sofitel Beijing is my favourite Sofitel in China because the lounge is offer very good food! unfortunely, I will not back because useless of my Accor Plus platinum status!

Good of luck to all staff!
This is a shame. However, I was never that impressed with the food in the lounge. I found the JW Marriott down the street to be better in this respect. This will be my go-to hotel in the future.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
So this answers why Beijing Wanda Sofitel left the group.

"Dalian Wanda to end partnerships with foreign hotel chains"

"DALIAN, China -- Dalian Wanda Group will dissolve its partnerships with foreign hotel chains as the debt-ridden conglomerate seeks to generate profit by rebranding jointly run properties and operating them as its own. "

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...n-hotel-chains

"Wanda Waves Bye Bye to Sofitel, Hyatt and Hilton in Quest to Build Own Hotel Brand"

"Wanda currently owns 50 hotels under foreign brands including marques from the Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott and IHG groups, with 21 among the portfolio being sold to Guangzhou R&F. "

https://www.mingtiandi.com/real-esta...l-partnership/

So I had a quick look on my APP it seems about 20 hotels in China are with the Wanda brand from Ningbo Sofitel, Hefei Pullman...down to Mercure's.
In some cities like Hefei and Nanchang all of Accor's hotels above the Mercure level are partnered with Wanda. So from these articles we could see them leave the group
over the next 2-3 years.

This is a big blow as it is not easy getting decent hotels in China.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:40 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
In a less spectacular move, the Mercure Tel Aviv left the chain, now trading as "Hotel BY 14" referencing their address in the name. It is a bit perplexing, as it appears the hotel is undergoing a long-overdue overhaul, bringing it closer in standard and style to more recently opened / refurbished Mercures. At any rate, this leaves Accor without a hotel in TLV.
starflyergold likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by JTCz
In a less spectacular move, the Mercure Tel Aviv left the chain, now trading as "Hotel BY 14" referencing their address in the name. It is a bit perplexing, as it appears the hotel is undergoing a long-overdue overhaul, bringing it closer in standard and style to more recently opened / refurbished Mercures. At any rate, this leaves Accor without a hotel in TLV.
Knowing the very bad review we had from fransknorge earlier this year, I don't think anyone will regret it.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/acco...ted-hotel.html
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:11 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I do regret it, as this is quite a hermetic market, with local operators, including Fattal hotels (unsurprisingly trading as "Leonardo" in markets where people may not want to stay in a "Fattal hotel") try to keep everybody outside of anything but the top luxury segment. The hotels itself was bearable by Israeli standards (a big chunk of Israeli's GDP is apparently generated by skimping on maintenance and housekeeping, which applies far beyond the hospitality business - do let me know of any window being cleaned in Tel Aviv EVER), so unless you paid for "Privilege" rooms and wanted a special experience, you could consider yourself satisfied. Now this pretty much crosses TLV off my travel map, and there is little chance Accor could score another property in the city soon - and if they do, it won't be much of an improvement standard-wise.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:23 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Swissotel Berlin

The hotel is closing at the end of November (to be turned into offices).

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/b.../22759968.html
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:42 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by starflyergold
The hotel is closing at the end of November (to be turned into offices).

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/b.../22759968.html
The one in Dsseldorf is now gone too.
Dsseldorf is now left with very poor choices. Have decided to stay at the Nikko instead...
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

The "Duesseldorf" Swissotel was in Neuss, and was far below par for the brand. Admittedly though, Accor could use a premium property in town.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.