Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Accor Platinum 2013

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:25 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
I've posted this elsewhere but I experienced the absolute downside of real loyalty on the weekend at the Sofitel Sydney. The Club desk advised the reason that the Sofitel Sydney and Melbourne don't give free club access to all Platinums is because there are so many platinum members that they would never have space in the lounge.

I just wish if they were going to give away status it was Gold rather than Platinum. That would clean the system up so much.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
Sofitel Melbourne and Sydney do not offer lounge access to Platinum members. It is clearly stated on Accor website. I just would not stay there. The reason is silly. All other sofitel hotels give lounge access to Platinum members and its no problem whatsoever. Its just an australian, unacceptable, thing.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by PeterT1953
I think it does happen, Macaron, sometimes.

A few months ago was checking into an MGallery , small queue at the checkin desk. My turn came, and I asked whether there would be any chance of an upgrade, as a gold member. The young receptionist checked and said there was just one junior suite left, and she would be happy to upgrade me.

The chap behind interrupted, quite rudely pushing in front of me, and said that he was platinum, and should therefore have the upgrade. She asked him to wait his turn but he was quite insistent to the point of beligerence. I really didnt want a scene, and shrugged and stepped back.

The receptionist took his card, tapped away at her computer, and asked him when was his last stay at an accor hotel. He foundered for a moment, and then said "I dont remember, not long ago". She then very politely asked him how he came to be a platinum member, as he had no stays or points recorded at all, looking at him quite pointedly. He mumbled something about loyalty, and she handed his card back to him, She completed my checkin, providing drink vouchers and also complimentary breakfasts (which was good, and unexpected).

The only problem was enduring the slightly venomous glances from the other couple for the two night stay.

So it seems that there is a way for the reception staff to check, and some of the more switched on hotels in the chain are aware.
Wow impressive!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by starflyergold
They don't. These are CC sign ups not designed for the general public. Accor are very aware of the misuse and have promised to clamp down more aggressively.
the thing is a lot of cc's get free amex plat, so it's not like that would get you better treatment versus actual stays?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by PeterT1953
I think it does happen, Macaron, sometimes.

A few months ago was checking into an MGallery , small queue at the checkin desk. My turn came, and I asked whether there would be any chance of an upgrade, as a gold member. The young receptionist checked and said there was just one junior suite left, and she would be happy to upgrade me.

The chap behind interrupted, quite rudely pushing in front of me, and said that he was platinum, and should therefore have the upgrade. She asked him to wait his turn but he was quite insistent to the point of beligerence. I really didnt want a scene, and shrugged and stepped back.

The receptionist took his card, tapped away at her computer, and asked him when was his last stay at an accor hotel. He foundered for a moment, and then said "I dont remember, not long ago". She then very politely asked him how he came to be a platinum member, as he had no stays or points recorded at all, looking at him quite pointedly. He mumbled something about loyalty, and she handed his card back to him, She completed my checkin, providing drink vouchers and also complimentary breakfasts (which was good, and unexpected).

The only problem was enduring the slightly venomous glances from the other couple for the two night stay.

So it seems that there is a way for the reception staff to check, and some of the more switched on hotels in the chain are aware.
Outrageous behaviour for the guy behind you regardless of whether he earned his status or not.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:58 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by RJ77
Outrageous behaviour for the guy behind you regardless of whether he earned his status or not.
Classic DYKWIA behaviour.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:52 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Classic DYKWIA behaviour.
And good on the receptionist!! Clap Clap!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.