FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Review: Mercure Ginza, Tokyo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1408278-review-mercure-ginza-tokyo.html)

starflyergold Nov 17, 2012 9:16 am

Review: Mercure Ginza, Tokyo

I stayed five nights at the Mercure Ginza. The hotel is located in the heart of Ginza and all the hustle and bustle of Ginza and shopping only a short stroll away. The area is also well covered with 24h corner shops which will provide you with all the essentials.

Check in was delayed as my room was not ready at midday. The deluxe room I had booked was large with a small seating area and a desk for working and a mini bar and tea/coffee facilities. The bathroom was clean and tidy and featured all the typical amenities. WiFi was free but service was slow and unreliable.

The hotel uses a very strange room deodoriser which is way too strong and takes quite some time getting used to.

Breakfast was decent and varied (western and Japanese). Staff were friendly throughout.

As is typical at Mercure there was zero recognition for Le Club Accorhotels Platinum members, which is a shame and an opportunity missed.

Room rates are on the high side for Mercure.

Would I return? Yes

Some pix:

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/348/photo3en.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img543/1387/photo4ok.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img443/1227/photo2vqf.jpg

Thanh Viet Nov 19, 2012 10:21 am

Standard Room

I had a standard room last summer... it is pretty small (as everything in Tokyo).

No recognition for A-Club... didn't get an upgrade :(

Metro access direct from the hotel. Surrounding are nice (7/11, restaurants, Starbucks).
Very pricey for the room and few points for the price...

Mercure Tokyo Ginza 5 nights 808 pts

virtualaris Nov 21, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm also planning to book Mercure Ginza for my upcoming trip in Japan. I emailed to the hotel reservation asking if there's any Platinum benefit (worth trying better than not trying at all :p) and got this answer:

"Platinum member’s benefit is available only at Sofitel, Pullman and M Gallery, not at Mercure.
Also, Deluxe is the highest room category at our hotel."

However, when I checked their Japanese website of the hotel, they have Executive Suite :mad:
While the fact that Platinum/Gold member's benefit exclusively available only at Sofitel, Pullman, and MGallery is true but I'm really disappointed that the reservation agent is trying to lie to me by telling that the Deluxe is the highest room category at their hotel. :td::td:

Thanh Viet Dec 3, 2012 3:08 pm

More & more Mercure hotels have now VIP services or Privileges services/floors. I'm now in Budapest @Mercure Korona, and we've been located to the Privilege floors and have access to a privatised breakfast area, mineral bottle in the room, slippers, bathrobe, 10% discount on hotel services, inroom coffee & tea.

RJ77 Feb 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Just to add on some information on this hotel having spent two nights here. It's not connected by any rail line that connects directly to the airports even though it literally sits on a subway station (the Ginza Itchome stn. with the Yarakucho line). So the most convenient way (apart from paying for pick-up at airport) is to take the Airport Limousine coach service and stop at T-CAT (acronym for Tokyo City Air Terminal which is basically a bus terminal for Airport Lomousine buses) and then hail a taxi to the hotel. I paid around ¥1350 for a 10-minute ride.

The Yarakucho line is convenient for connecting to Disneyland Tokyo though.

Must say this property has grown on me, with the convenient location for the tourists (my past travels had been business trips so probably it isn't convenient for that purpose). Also well-served by Ginza stn. and Ginza-higachi stn (for Asakusa and Tokyo Skytree) nearby. Great service from the front desk/concierge. We had a dental issue and front desk was able to fix an urgent appointment with a clinic nearby on the same Saturday afternoon. And all other requests were handled efficiently, like most of Japan. I had the Deluxe room. The only thing I'm less than happy is the atrocious forex used for the vouchers. >9% difference between hotel rate and market rate. And oh wifi there is pretty useless, remember to rent a unlimited data plan SIM card.

TrojanHorse Jul 4, 2014 7:56 am

Any 2014 updates

This thread is about a year and a half old

I'm just looking for updates on this property. It is reasonably priced, in a decent location and I was hoping to find out more about the property

I'm a plat and was "hoping" although not expecting that the plat recognition would come through

The OP stated a decent breakfast, was that included or was that something that the OP purchased?

starflyergold Jul 4, 2014 8:27 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 23142412)

The OP stated a decent breakfast, was that included or was that something that the OP purchased?

As you say this was some time ago so I really can't remember.

Virginia Emery Jul 10, 2014 7:22 am

At hotel right now no breakfast for platinum, just a juice box per guest at check-in

there are direct trains from higashi-ginza and haneda airport @ JPY 570

IMH Jul 21, 2014 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 23142412)

OP booked a deluxe room. Deluxe room prices include breakfast at this property.

TrojanHorse Jul 25, 2014 6:56 am

Thanks guys
I've never stayed at Mecure so I was just checking

IMH Sep 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by IMH (Post 23233153)
Deluxe room prices include breakfast at this property.

Correction (based on a reservation I just made): breakfast is apparently not included when booking a deluxe room at an "advance purchase" rate.

JTCz Oct 3, 2014 4:43 am

As is typical at Mercure there was zero recognition for Le Club Accorhotels Platinum members, which is a shame and an opportunity missed.

Room rates are on the high side for Mercure.

Would I return? Yes
This kinda says it all. As there are not many Mercures in Japan, they do not have to compete with each other and do not care to spend extra monies on people who will be satisfied and recommend the property further anyway.

I was just staying in Budapest at an MGallery where there is a multitude of Accor properties and was pampered and spoiled. They knew I may be returning, will review on TA (and here, but they may not even know FT exists) and tell friends. And made sure I will tell everybody to choose the MGallery - which btw is at the same price level as Mercures and Novotels, thanks to the competition.

We can push for local "loyalty coordinators" to call hotels and call them "naughty naughty". But truly, what we need Accor to do, is grab the suitcase and do some legwork getting more properties to join the chains. This is the only way to promote some healthy internal competition and grow customer base enough for the hotels to start caring for them.

PS. Thanks for the review, as I considered booking this property.

enzo0511 Oct 3, 2014 5:02 am

how is sound proofing at this property ?

due to its location, i was just wondering, for a future stay

thanks

1nfrequent Oct 7, 2014 1:36 pm

enzo0511 - I stayed at this property last month and found the sound proofing to be fine - I didn't hear anything from the other rooms, the corridor or the street outside.

1F

enzo0511 Oct 7, 2014 3:53 pm

ok great thanks