Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP

I've not seen a review for this property so thought I would add mine.

Checking out tomorrow after a very nice three night stay. Hotel is wonderfully located in a quiet part of Viaduct Harbour, walking distance to Sky Tower, Ferry Terminals, and general CBD. The lobby really is striking; dark and modern with very attractive rock pools throughout.

Had a fabulous rate on the stay 3 pay for 2 promotion for a superior room. On checkin, was advised of an upgrade to a luxury room (I had confirmed suites were sold out prior to arrival). Drink vouchers were also provided without asking. On arrival to the room on the top floor, welcome chocolates were waiting along with a hand-written note from the GM. Late checkout of 1 pm was also requested and granted. All-in-all, solidly consistent with the Platinum benefits.

The room itself was nice and spacious, court-yard facing with partial Harbour views and two balconies. The bathrooms were particularly large and modern. Rooms appear to have been updated very recently as all fixtures, carpet, tile, etc were in impeccable condition.

For the roughly 100 AUD/night price on a glorious spring weekend, it was hard to find anything to complain about with the property, staff, or benefits.

We did notice on the floor plan at the back of our door there was a space noted for an Executive Lounge, though no hotel materials mention it. Perhaps coming soon?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Do they honor / give Accor points for Platinums?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:06 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
Do they honor / give Accor points for Platinums?
Yes they do
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:22 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
A little gem in a city lacking choice - Sofitel Viaduct Auckland

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

21 Viaduct Harbour Avenue Auckland, NZ 1010

A little gem in a city with not many great options - Sofitel Viaduct Auckland (11 Photos)

Developed by a now bankrupt developer, this property had a troubled birth. Thanks to different bodies owning different parts, including rooms, at one stage there were two hotels operating at the one property. Needless to say the original management had enough, and in 2012 Sofitel stepped in. 5 years down the track I decided to give it a shot, I am glad I did.

A148E7D6-35BC-4A48-B068-C7C1B4677A0A.jpeCD7CAF38-E3BF-4784-91D8-FDC22BB919E3.jpe

Located on the Viaduct development near the Wynyard quarter precinct, the hotel is in walking distance of some great restaurants and the city in general. While my room was quiet, I was lucky to get an inside view eastern room, the western rooms with the “city” view overlook a busy bus depot that by all reports is quite noisy.

C752D592-25DC-4DE4-B7FE-A4F81CFDE064.jpe36827573-9BF4-4A89-98DC-CE2EFCA226E9.jpe

Check In

Checkin was professional and quick. After confirming details, a $200 pre authorisation was taken on my card and then a key was handed over.

Room

As a Platinum my city view standard room was upgraded to an inside view Luxury room that was lovely. Some of the nice touches made all the difference. Like a travel adaptor for power. And the supplied Nespresso machine came with its own milk frother, ideal if you are like me and need a latte or three to kick start your day. 

Each inside view room appears to have a balcony, while small unless your on the third floor that sits above reception on level 2, it’s a nice space to take in the weather should it be suitable. I did wonder why the larger balcony’s lacked any furnishing, perhaps the hotel wishes the space to be used for short periods of time owing to the nature of the building shape trapping noise in what is essentially a courtyard type environment. 

B8927975-19B0-4132-A87C-39CC451A6082.jpe0EEFB6D4-7ADD-4FBA-86B2-5CD80C8B1432.jpe9719BFE4-6504-4EA8-95EA-FE867686930B.jpe

665F7F97-C9CC-4D54-8728-F7E69D345C34.jpe

The bathroom was of a good size and unlike more modern designs actually had a bath. The shower features the traditional shower head as well as a rain shower option. Interestingly and somewhat annoying, the temp control for each head required different settings for the same output.

BEC37405-FAC1-4E83-A29F-E9425A33CD6F.jpe4388ADB3-7D13-470A-BB63-D64685E6D97D.jpe623E45C2-8E5E-434C-980B-19AB0202361A.jpe

Service

As to be expected service was great but not overbearing. If I had one complaint, it would be they failed the ice bucket test, delivery a bucket on the first night only after the second call was made, 60 minutes after the first. 

Dining

I was disappointed by Breakfast on the two days I had it. The Buffet is small in selection as is the hot cooked to order menu. Eggs Benedict, my favourite, came with ham that was garden variety, not dissimilar to the ham you would find in any sandwich, rather than being carved leg ham for instance.  Poached eggs on the second day were nice, bacon did appear to be premium, all be it deep fried to achieve crispy status but the rosti lacked flavour, was uneven in size and thus cooked to different degrees.

The seating is too small for the restaurant design and obviously they have had to use some of the lobby area instead, which is a pity. After my experience with Breakfast I decided to eat out for dinner, a plethora of better value options exist a short stroll from the hotel in the Marina area.

Overall

Despite the restaurant not being up to scratch, I think I found my new favourite hotel for Auckland. It’s quiet, yet handy enough to the city.

Facilites are great including an indoor pool I did not visit, and perhaps the only other possible gripe I had was the internet not handling my photo upload for this report. Cest la vie.

A little gem in a city with not many great options - Sofitel Viaduct Auckland

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour?

No, thank you.
Yes
uggboy likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:07 pm

Sorry for taking so long, I had to move to another hotel before photos could be added.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:48 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Thanks for the review.
Rooms and colour scheme reminds me of some of the better Pullmans in APAC.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:43 am
Accor 25+ Badge

The hotel has gone into liquidation.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Again???? first it was a Westin, the Sofitel, wonder what brand next?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...to-liquidation
The five-star Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour has gone into liquidation, leaving at least 139 people out of work.

Viaduct Quays Hotel, the registered company operating the waterfront hotel, was put into liquidation on Monday.

It received $929,000 in Covid-19 wage subsidies for 139 staff.

Liquidator Jared Booth of Baker Tilly Staples Rodway said liquidators had been told the business stopped trading before they were appointed as a result of the financial impact of Covid-19
<snip>
Liquidators had been told that the hotel could not be used as an isolation facility for returning New Zealanders..
NZ Government funded isolation is where a lot of the NZ hotel business now is.
The property has an unusual ownership structure.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by markis10
Again???? first it was a Westin, the Sofitel, wonder what brand next?
Its an bad location, it should of really been an apartments and not an hotel. It’s 15-20minute walk into tree lower CBD from its location, and when you’ve only got the domestic market at the moment to fill hotels, I can see why it failed.

Wonder why it was not able to be used by the Government as Isolation Hotel? Just about every other Acorr Hotel in Auckland is currently booked out by the Government.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA
Any post-covid stay experiences? It seems like it is open again.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:40 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by angetenar
Any post-covid stay experiences? It seems like it is open again.
Really? I don't see it being open. Any attempt at a booking fails.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: UA
Really? I don't see it being open. Any attempt at a booking fails.
There are tripadvisor reviews from 2023 and the General Manager is responding to some of them so I would guess that it is open.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Available to book on accorhotels.com starting Sept 1, 2023
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:15 am

Think they closed again after the January Floods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.