Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Defecting from A-Club

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Defecting from A-Club

For those elites completely dissatisfied with the piss-poor handling of this program by Accor, here's what I did.

Background: A-Club platinum since the inception of the program, Sofitel Privilege Gold prior to that. My stay pattern was:

Sofitel Melbourne: 20-30 nights per year
Sofitel Sydney: 5-10 nights per year (equal number at Hilton)
Other Sofitel: 5-10 nights per year (mostly international)

I've been a Hyatt cardboard member for years, very impressed with the Canberra Park Hyatt property - pretty much the only one I utilised, 1-2 times per year. I emailed Hyatt and basically said: "Accor suck arse, what can you do for me?"

They replied and asked me to fax a statement from A-Club demonstrating at least 15 stays in the past 12 months, which I did (despite many of my stays not appearing on the record). 24hrs later I was confirmed comped to HGP Diamond. I booked 2 Hyatt stays that afternoon. Park Hyatt Melbourne, Grand Hyatt Melbourne. On both stays:

* I booked the cheapest online room via hyatt.com
* I was upgraded at check-in to a club room
* I received a welcome gift at each hotel
* I was allowed to take a guest into the club AT NO CHARGE
* Everything (room location, newspaper, etc) was as per request
* My points posted within 48hrs of checkout.
* My "big welcome back: 5,000 points posted within 48hrs of my 2nd stay

Seamless, effortless - and better hotels for the same price. Sold.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:15 am

Good for you!

I really do like Hyatt hotels as well, and try to stay there as often as possible (I am gold in both programs).

However, they're not everywhere in Europe, and they are usually more expensive than Sofitels here, which makes it hard to justify on the travel expenses report.

Still your experience is a good example of what's wrong with Accor, and I will definitely consider my alternatives in the future.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by JamesBond_ppk; Jun 25, 2010 at 1:02 am
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:45 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Good to know that A-club platinum with decent satys in the past 12 months was well recognized by Hyatt..
Seems only Accor hotels dont recognize elite status
I need to continue to stay in accor group, since basically its the best deal in vienna where I stay frequently at a very attractive corporate price ..

but good to know nevertheless ^
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Seems only Accor hotels dont recognize elite status
Sofitels are mostly nice properties, but I stay there only when I have no other choice : I hate hotels which do not reward Elite status.

There is no comparison with InterContinental Royal Ambassador programme (suite or executive room upgraded guaranteed, free club access in most cases, early check-in at 8am guaranteed, free minibar, free in room film, late check out)

Even at Hyatt, where I stayed not that often (only basic Goldmember) as their locations are not convenient for me, I received great upgrade, welcome gift (my last stay at Park Hyatt Milan was just superb).
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:40 pm

Programs: QFF SG, EK, EY Silver, SQ Gold, SPG, PC Plat RA, AŚClub Platinum, Hertz 5*
I'm only a Platinum Amb with PC/IC but have to agree that the programme is much better than a|club could ever be.

I got tired of the lack of room upgrades even at hotels I stayed at regularly and continually chasing stay credits, along with the terrible rewards options. So now have completely abandoned a|club, and avoid staying at Accor properties having been a Platinum for a couple of years.

Sorry a|club, you had your chance.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
The loyalty destroying powers of a poorly implemented program...
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by perthite
The loyalty destroying powers of a poorly implemented program...
+ 1..
but i am hoping that they change .. i hope they do since i m forced to accumulate a-club points as their adagio property in vienna is one of the best at the best possible corp rates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.