Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:54 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Palazzo Caracciolo MGallery [left Accor]

Accor PR:

The Palazzo Caracciolo joins the MGallery collection in Italy offering guests a unique hotel experience

Naples, March 16, 2010 – MGallery, Accor’s collection of upscale hotels, has chosen the splendid setting of the Palazzo Caracciolo to present five historical Italian residences, each of them one of a kind.

The Palazzo Caracciolo evolved over time from a fortress into a seat of Neapolitan power. Though it appears detached from the hustle and bustle of the city, it is closely associated with Naples through its thick walls, its history, its role and its location.

The palace was once home to the short-lived governments of General Championnet’s Neapolitan Republic and of Joachim Murat, King of Naples. It was renovated in 2009 and its distinctive former solemnity has now given way to the easy elegance and refinement that prevails in the designs of the hotel’s 143 rooms.

This four storey building is structured around two vast porches and two large gates. Its interior design is in keeping with the building’ perfect symmetry: simple curves emphasize its architectural beauty drawing their inspiration from the numerous historical periods witnessed by the palace. Pure lines and simple building materials like stone and wrought iron create the setting for the Neapolitan cuisine served in the hotel’s restaurant “La Cucina”.
Palazzo Caracciolo
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:09 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli - MGallery by Sofitel

Via Carbonara 112, 80139  Napoli, Italy, IT

Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli - MGallery by Sofitel (0 Photo)

- What is your Le Club status?

Platinum                             

- Were you (or for multi-stayers were you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes - although outside hotel was "lively"

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

standard and received a small junior suite           

- How are the rooms?

clean - minimal layout - could do with a little maintenance in corridor areas

- What was good and what was bad?

Good:

Service / Wellness centre

Bad:

Noisy on a night even in centre of hotel ( last night had function - nights before had locals with fireworks - although ended by midnight )

- Did you get club lounge access? How was the lounge?

none that we found

- What about welcome drinks, welcome amenities or any other special perks?

beer - mini bar ( not refilled )

- Value for $ or Vouchers? Would you return?

Yes - as in centre of historic town

Center of historic town - lively ( and dirty area )

Would you like to write a review on the Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli - MGallery by Sofitel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:45 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli (MGallery)

What is your Le Club status?
Platinum at the time of this stay (two nights in June 2018).

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Very.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
We booked a deluxe room and were upgraded to an unusually generous junior suite. It came close to being a real suite, with two bathrooms (one of which could be reached without passing through the sleeping area). There was a sofa, a table with two chairs and -- the highlight -- an outside terrace with a table and three chairs. This was on the first floor, in an enclosed courtyard. There's a party/event area below, kept dry by a transparent plastic roof.

How are the rooms?
Everything was in good condition and clean.

What was good and what was bad?

Good:
Capsule coffee maker (better than Nespresso). Lots of space. The minibar fridge had plenty of space for bottles of our own.

Bad:
Nitpicking: in both bathrooms, the showers were mounted over bathtubs.

Welcome drinks, amenities or any other special perks?
We were given a voucher for two drinks, which we used for coffees. We were handed a small packaged sweet treat when we checked in and told we could use the minibar free (this privilege can also be purchased for 9 EUR per stay). The two beers and muesli bar we took the first evening were replaced the following day.

Value for money? Would you return?
The price was okay for our dates and the upgrade made it a very good deal.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:02 am
IMH

Dav77 reported on a double upgrade and posted some photos in the "Welcome Amenities" thread here, but wasn't impressed by the hotel's champagne choices.
Dav77 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:20 am
IMH

Dav77 posted another broadly positive report in the "Welcome Amenities" thread, here, with photos. Some discussion and further photos follow in that thread.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Review palazzo caracciolo Naples : nice but not wowed - could do better

Review palazzo caracciolo Naples : nice but not wowed - could do better
I wanted to try this hotel for a while. After a failed attempt during the spring (cancelled stay because of Covid lockdowns), I gave it another chance in september. I used SNU to book a Junior Suite.

The hotel is located into a beautiful historical massive building located about 15 min walking from central train station. It’s not exactly in the old part of the city but at walking distance. So the location is not bad at all if you are here for visiting. Several people (including the taxi driver) told me it is advised to be careful at night in this neighborhood. During the day, you don’t feel particularly unsafe, but caution is always required almost everywhere in Naples.

Just to give immediately some perspective here, I had a good stay and I would certainly qualified this hotel as nice, but there is a kind of cold atmosphere and I am definitely missing a WOW feeling or a kind of feeling welcomed.

I used some SNU and the final booking was for a junior suite.

I checked in late (close to midnight). Checkin ops were very quick and robotic, I was obviously the last client expected for the day. No thank you for loyalty, no specific information given. Just « you’re here for 2 nights, right ? Here’s your key, room is XXX». No mention of drink voucher or any additional upgrade.

Here are some pictures of the lobby, common parts and the not-so-nice corridors leading to rooms.

The room was the Junior suite, so no additional upgrade was given. I know they are not obliged, but some hotels do. The drink voucher was not in the room so I had to request it the next day.

The room was certainly nice, with a very high ceiling and beautiful decoration in the ceiling (this is an old palazzo). But this high ceiling creates a cold atmosphere. As you can see on the picture, there is a massive piece of furniture to separate the room in 2 and make a « Junior suite » with the bed on one side and a sofa/table on the other side. I really don’t get it and this is a mistake IMO. Indeed, you have quite a large size room and you create a kind of « cramped » atmosphere with this massive separation just for the purpose to create a Junior suite.

The bathroom was large with both a bath tub and a walk-in shower.

It was a corner room facing the main street and a perpendicular one. You can see the view on those pictures below:

Many people on Trip Advisor complained about the street noise. Frankly, I could here some traffic noise but that was very low and did not bother me.

Room amenities included espresso machine, bathrobe and slippers.

There was no welcome amenity and I didn’t ask (I am sincerely tired to ask…).

There are 2 inner courtyards, one used for breakfast and restaurant and the other one for the bar.

For breakfast, there is a buffet but no self-service, someone is serving you. Waiter was very cold, nothing extremely bad, but still…

For the bar in the other courtyard, they have designed the place in the way that even with few people, there is no place for new guests. To be clearer, each « spot » is composed of sofa and armchairs who can accommodate may be 6-8 guests but which are in fact for a single group. So even if you are only 2 persons, you use a spot for 6-8. So you can have less than 10 guests in this courtyard and consider it full as new guests won’t seat on the same sofa as current customers. So there are extra tables inside. They have a special drink list for the drink voucher and do not expect miracles. I asked for an Aperol Spritz and it was refused (yes, I am Diamond…). The drink voucher policy is really driving me mad more and more.

There is no lounge at this hotel.

The only really pleasant staff I interacted with was the last evening at the front desk, requesting a late checkout. This lady was really caring about loyalty, was smiling and doing her best to satisfy the loyal customers. She granted me what I requested (3 pm).

Overall, not a bad stay and certainly a nice address in Naples and in the MGallery network, but…I am just missing something.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:57 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Thank you for your excellent review once again. It seems that nothing has changed from our visit. This is a shame, as the location is excellent ( and the best Accor in town - have stayed at ALL the others on a point run ) . There were "door persons" when we stayed to keep order !

There are some really lovely "rustic" pizza restaurants close. Did you try the spa ? and was the roof top bar open ? We received a small red "horn" as a welcome amenity on our stay. ( about 3€ from market on street 100 yards away )
Goldorak likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by hotel_user
There are some really lovely "rustic" pizza restaurants close.
yes, I tried the closest one from the hotel. Literally below one of my room window. The pizza was excellent ans super cheap.

Did you try the spa ?
No I didn't

and was the roof top bar open ?
No idea. No one ever told me about this bar (and about any service of the hotel in general ). Too bad, as it would have been great with the weather I had.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 2:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
Originally Posted by Goldorak

The room was the Junior suite, so no additional upgrade was given. I know they are not obliged, but some hotels do. The drink voucher was not in the room so I had to request it the next day.

The room you had is sold as a suite (there are 3 suites and yours was Suite Januario I think).
The junior suites are on two levels.

I also had the "special drink list" for the drink voucher, even if it was written on the voucher "valid for any drink"...
hotel_user likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Looks like the hotel scored an "own goal" here by not either labelling the room, or telling you on check in.

We were happy with the room we received, as it had an "internal" view and terrace, but you could walk from our room to others along the shared terrace.
The location is excellent for visiting the museum ( well recommended before the ruins ).
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by nrouxel
The room you had is sold as a suite (there are 3 suites and yours was Suite Januario I think).
The junior suites are on two levels.
interesting. I really don’t see how this room could qualify as a suite as per usual criteria.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 8:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
I stayed at Palazzo Caracciolo last november.
Like Goldorak, I used SNU to book a suite. I also booked two other rooms through Expedia (I had a voucher to use before the end of the year).

At check-in, I was given drink vouchers for the 3 rooms (we were 6), even if two rooms were booked through Expedia.
Drink vouchers were supposed to be useable for anything (that's what was written on the drink vouchers), but at the bar, they have a special drink list for the drink voucher (Proseco, wine, beer or soft drink).
There was no welcome amenity in the rooms

The suite have a very high and decorated ceiling.

The two other rooms were superior rooms with a nice terrace

Unfortunately the hotel is not well maintained: on the following photo, you will see the condition of one of the windows of one of the superior rooms.

In the suite, it was impossible to properly close the window which was distorted (it must be said that the windows are very high in the suites). This had the effect of letting the sounds of the street pass and there is a lot of atmosphere in the streets of Naple even in November!

The breakfast is a buffet but a waiter is serving you (at least during Covid times).

This hotel is really not the best MGallery I have visited.
The hotel needs a good renovation and a better application of the loyalty program would be welcome.
EcotoneHR and Goldorak like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 5:32 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Comfortable base in Naples

I had quite a pleasant stay at Palazzo Caracciolo Napoli MGallery. Yes, the hotel is outdated and it needs a complete renovation. However, the style doesn’t go over substance here unlike in Habita79 Pompeii, another MGallery in Naples region. Palazzo Caracciolo has all the potentials to be a great grand hotel.

I arrived before the official check-in time and got my room. The start was promising. I was thanked for being a platinum member and received a drink voucher which was valid for two. I was also given a welcome amenity which I wasn’t overly excited about: similar pack of taralli I got earlier at Habita79 Pompeii.

I had booked a superior room and it was proactively upgraded to a junior suite so I was given a two-category upgrade which was much appreciated. The suite was a loft style on two floors: the living room and the bathroom were on the first floor and the bedroom on the second one. The bed and pillows were super comfortable and I had a good sleep despite the noice from outside due to a weak sound isolation.

The interior felt a bit cheap, reminded me of Ikea, and the furniture had seen its better days. I didn’t mind that much since I was happy about the suite upgrade and the fact that the room was still comfortable. The air conditioning was powerful and kept the room cool which was important in Italy’s heat.

The amenities included soft high-quality bathrobes and slippers as well as an espresso machine and a fully stocked minibar. Again, the hotel had no idea about the minibar benefit, yet they offered it free of charge.

Where the room upgrade exceed my expectations the welcome drink didn’t. One can choose strictly between soft drink, beer or wine. The wines are nothing special. A retail price of a bottle of the red wine they have selected, for example, is less than five euros. It didn’t taste very good. On the other hand, the late check-out was granted without issues at 5:30pm as requested. All in all, I found the loyalty treatment pretty good here and I felt that as a loyal customer I was well taken care of.

Due to the misunderstanding of the minibar benefit, the hotel even offered us an access to the spa that normally costs 15 euros per person. It wasn’t as nice as in Habita79 Pompeii and it smelled sewer and was lacking ambience.

I had dinner one evening at the hotel. The quality of food varied a lot between dishes. Pasta was super good but fish was way too salty. The bright spot lights made me feel like I’m having a dinner in the middle of a football field. The breakfast was decent and there was a free flow of prosecco.

To sum it up: a comfortable place to stay for a few nights in Naples if the price is right but don’t expect anything fancy.

The hotel is facing a busy road, Via Carbonara.

Lobby and reception.

Hallway takes you back in time.

Junior suite.

The junior suite is on two floors.

The first floor has a living room.

The second floor has a cozy bedroom.

The bed is very comfortable.

The bathroom has a bathub, a bidee and two sinks.

The bath amenities are still in small, individual bottles.

Soft drink from the minibar are complimentary for platinum and diamond members.

Espresso machine and kettle with teas are also available.

Via Carbonara seen from the junior suite.

Scarce welcome amenity.

The wine selection for the welcome drink.

Shabby bar.

Spa has a steam room, sauna and jacuzzi.

Access to the spa costs 15 euros.

Bar area.

Restaurant.

Last edited by wkndtraveler; Aug 9, 2023 at 1:06 pm
Old Aug 9, 2023, 5:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Glad you had a good(ish) stay wkndtraveler

We got exactly the same gift, but when we stayed a few years back the spa was free and the mini bar was understood ! Maybe a change of direction ... However we did not get the double upgrade, so win some / lose some ....

Totally agree on the furniture though, it was "old" when we were there - see our review above

However we will be returning, as I think for the money it is the best Accor hotel in the area.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

However we will be returning, as I think for the money it is the best Accor hotel in the area.
It's for sure the best Accor hotel in the area, but becoming very pricey. 2 months ago, I was looking for a hotel in Naples in october and rates for the MGallery were totally insane. I didn't book there, as I don't think what you get there worths 300€/night (for an entry level room).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.