Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Can you apply a suite or room upgrade on the free night?
Yes, no problem at all.
Old May 7, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Fairmont San Francisco seems to have restricted the use of suite upgrade certs even further.

Up until a few years ago it was possible to confirm an upgrade to a Main Building Balcony Suite.

After those were excluded the only eligible suite category left was the Main Building Suite. Not too long ago the hotel split that category into two categories: Main Building Suites and Main Building Corner Suites.

The latter was still available as an upgrade a few months ago when calling FPC, but has now been excluded as well - leaving only the (smaller) Main Building Suites.

Definitely not impressed with these kind of constant devaluations...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently stayed at the Fairmont SFO and must say I was really impressed with the renovations of the suites.

Many of the suites previously were somewhat tired, but the suites are now nicely decorated with new carpets, new bathrooms and some new furniture.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:52 am

Our stay at this hotel was nice enough. It was a bit of a pain for people like me that are too cheap for taxis, though, since it is at the top of the hill and walking was brutal. We definitely had the most undignified, sweaty arrival that hotel has probably ever seen.

We stayed in the Dresden Suite (used two free night Visa certs and suite upgrade cert) which is on the 7th floor (734, I believe). The view was of the back of the parapets. We crawled out of the window and were able to peek over the parapets and see a nice view. The suite was not oversized but seemed lacking in furniture. The giant TV was nice since we usually don't let ourselves watch much TV. I was a bit annoyed at the minibar set-up (the type that auto-charges you when you pick something up) since we had some baby food we would have liked to refrigerate but couldn't. We slept well, too. The bed was nice and we never heard (and barely saw) any other guests.

The staff was all nice, although we didn't use the services of anyone but the front desk (again, I'm a cheapskate and am capable of carrying my own luggage).

The breakfast at Laurel Court was a bit underwhelming. For the price ($88 for two buffets after tax and service charge), I feel like it would have been a rip-off if we actually had to pay for it. I tried my best to eat $30 of nova that first morning, though. We only ate at Laurel Court once (the other day we went to Cafe Centro in the basement) yet had to use three of the breakfast certificates (you can't use breakfast certs at Cafe Centro, by the way).

Maybe I'm just a hick...I'd still rather stay in a Holiday Inn Express (even if I'm not paying for it).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Recent Stay Review

A mini-review of my recent stay.

I'm a new FPC Premier and I booked the Suite Upgrade via the FPC Premier desk. Could not have been less painless.

At check in, I was greeted warmly and politely. I was advised, I had been further upgraded to a corner suite on the 3rd floor with a view of the Bay and Alcatraz Island. ^

The lobby was decorated with the Gingerbread House complete with North Pole mail box for the kids. It is huge and made of real gingerbread. Impressive.

Walking down the long corridor of the 3rd floor, it smelled all new and fresh.

The suite itself, was up to billing. Completely new furniture, fixtures, carpeting and curtains etc. A nice Keurig expresso machine in the living room over the mini-bar fridge. Nice touch. This suite had two full baths and was well stocked with towels and amenities.

Headed down to the infamous Tonga Room. Surprised to find a better than average bar band who could play a decent variety of more complex songs. I recall Santana and some early Chicago. Bonus was you could actually have a conversation with a neighbor. Fast friendly service and what I consider fair drink prices for a 5 * place.

First day breakfast was the buffet, which was nice, but I think over priced. Service was efficient and friendly. The second day was a la carte and half the price for the same basic meal.

Second evening was in the Laurel Court. Slow indifferent server. I waited +15 minutes for a refill. No smile, walked by 2 or three times with an empty glass. I finally went to the bartender who was equally indifferent. Only downer on an otherwise great visit.

It is obvious a great deal has been expended on the renovations. The public areas are in impeccable shape. Bell and valet staff very helpful and obviously proud of working there.

Things I appreciated:

One of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. ^^

The renovations and upgrades have not detracted from the historic ambience. This is the original Fairmont.

Looking forward to an excuse to return.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ptownca
A mini-review of my recent stay.

I'm a new FPC Premier and I booked the Suite Upgrade via the FPC Premier desk. Could not have been less painless.

At check in, I was greeted warmly and politely. I was advised, I had been further upgraded to a corner suite on the 3rd floor with a view of the Bay and Alcatraz Island. ^

The lobby was decorated with the Gingerbread House complete with North Pole mail box for the kids. It is huge and made of real gingerbread. Impressive.

Walking down the long corridor of the 3rd floor, it smelled all new and fresh.

The suite itself, was up to billing. Completely new furniture, fixtures, carpeting and curtains etc. A nice Keurig expresso machine in the living room over the mini-bar fridge. Nice touch. This suite had two full baths and was well stocked with towels and amenities.

Headed down to the infamous Tonga Room. Surprised to find a better than average bar band who could play a decent variety of more complex songs. I recall Santana and some early Chicago. Bonus was you could actually have a conversation with a neighbor. Fast friendly service and what I consider fair drink prices for a 5 * place.

First day breakfast was the buffet, which was nice, but I think over priced. Service was efficient and friendly. The second day was a la carte and half the price for the same basic meal.

Second evening was in the Laurel Court. Slow indifferent server. I waited +15 minutes for a refill. No smile, walked by 2 or three times with an empty glass. I finally went to the bartender who was equally indifferent. Only downer on an otherwise great visit.

It is obvious a great deal has been expended on the renovations. The public areas are in impeccable shape. Bell and valet staff very helpful and obviously proud of working there.

Things I appreciated:

One of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. ^^

The renovations and upgrades have not detracted from the historic ambience. This is the original Fairmont.

Looking forward to an excuse to return.
Christmas here is fun, especially with young children. They do a great job with the lobby.

Surprised you did not mention the Tonga Room regular 'rain shower'!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Wink

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Christmas here is fun, especially with young children. They do a great job with the lobby.

Surprised you did not mention the Tonga Room regular 'rain shower'!
Did I mention it was a mini review ?

That said, yeah the rain shower, floating bandstand and the thunder sound effects were interesting.

And yes, they do a fabulous job with the lobby for kids. I will be interested to see what the Boston Copley Plaza has when I am out there for the holidays. I used to stay there often a decade or more ago. I was worried the "modern" upgrades would lose the charm of that grande old dame, but when I was there this fall, it was fabulous. ^
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Just returned from my third stay in recent months (and will be returning later this month). And my first stay in a regular room - a main building paid Fairmont room plus used a cert to upgrade to an exterior view.

Overall, I like the property very much. The Laurel Court service picks up the pace for dinner, vs. the very problematic morning and midday service. Re: the Tonga Room - it is often closed for private events or completely booked! Someday!

What my wife and I noticed is - at this particular property, we didn't seem to miss much vs. a main building suite. In fact the bathroom seemed larger than in a suite. Unlike many hotels, the suites don't offer an extra bathroom, better noise isolation, an extra like a bar area, or much in the way of room furnishings. They just offer, as I observed it, lots of extra square footage - and a sofa, coffee table, and second TV. Not that this is horrible, but for someone using a cert or paying $200 or $300 more, something to ponder, vs. other properties.

The hotel seems to be booming. I notice 2015 suite prices seem to be 30-60% higher than 2014. I'd like to experience the balcony suite, but at $999-$1199 plus tax, wow. Last year's $749 seems like a bargain.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:18 pm

Obama staying here on his current visit. (Instead of his usual, the Intercontinental)

Disruptive, as you would imagine.

"Obama’s stay at Fairmont idles cable cars, to tourists’ dismay"

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/m...to-6080833.php
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A little unpleasantness -- I went to dine about 7:40, but the Tonga Room had a line and a long wait, so I went to the Laurel Court, where I was told a 1/2 hour wait, despite there being hardly anyone seated there. The maitre d' suggested the bar area, and said I could ask that a dinner be carried over, so i took the one available low table and sat in the low chair, but the waiter there only offered the bar menu. I went back to the maitre d' but he insisted 1/2 hour. I suspect he didn't want to give up a 4-seat table to a single diner. By then it was past 8, so I know he didn't have a ton of 8:00 reservations. I just left. Very annoying.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
A little unpleasantness -- I went to dine about 7:40, but the Tonga Room had a line and a long wait, so I went to the Laurel Court, where I was told a 1/2 hour wait, despite there being hardly anyone seated there. The maitre d' suggested the bar area, and said I could ask that a dinner be carried over, so i took the one available low table and sat in the low chair, but the waiter there only offered the bar menu. I went back to the maitre d' but he insisted 1/2 hour. I suspect he didn't want to give up a 4-seat table to a single diner. By then it was past 8, so I know he didn't have a ton of 8:00 reservations. I just left. Very annoying.
Not to second guess you....

Do you use Open Table? Both of these restaurants are on Open Table, and I find it simpler to check availability and book a reservation on line, even if it is only 15 minutes ahead of when I want to eat.

Then when you walk in, even as a single, usually no friction.

Laurel Court clearly needs business (I always read the 1,000 point incentive as a sign that a restaurant is somewhat under-visited.):
http://www.opentable.com/laurel-cour...-san-francisco

Special Offers
1,000-Point Tables
See availability for 1000 point tables
Mon - Sat 6:00PM - 7:00PM 9:00PM - 10:00PM

Plus, if you are a points hound, Open Table meets that need.

That being said, if you really would like the hotel to understand your frustration so they can try to address it:

[email protected]

Put your e-mail to the attention of Thomas Klein
Old May 20, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I have just reviewed a three night stay at this property in my new trip report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...irst-a380.html
Old May 20, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Genius1
I have just reviewed a three night stay at this property in my new trip report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...irst-a380.html
Great review! ^

The Fairmont SFO is one of favourite Fairmont properties in the US.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Great review! ^

The Fairmont SFO is one of favourite Fairmont properties in the US.
Thanks for your comments! I was very impressed with this Fairmont - I've only ever stayed at Fairmont properties in Canada before now (Banff, Jasper and Vancouver).
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
currently traveling with slow internet so can't call Fairmont, but does anyone know if you can book a Fairmont Exterior room with Ovation cert (standard room)? That is not the lowest room cat; the Fairmont Room is (not avai on desired nights).

Last edited by italdesign; Jun 5, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.