FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1060876-fairmont-hotel-macdonald.html)

Lee A Carney Dec 13, 04 4:39 pm

Alberta Legends Package at Fairmont MacDonald

For anyone booking a stay at the Fairmont in Edmonton, they offer a package called "Alberta Legends" that gives you a Fairmont room, valet parking, and breakfast for $198 plus taxes. I book through the FPC Platinum concierge, so I don't know if it's available through a TA. I'm also not sure if this package is available at the Palliser in Calgary, but it's worth checking out if you don't have a corporate rate with the Alberta Fairmonts already.

TeaAddict Jun 2, 05 8:27 pm

The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald

Thought I'd start w/ this one to amuse Altaflyer. Also, I was there last weekend, so it's freshest in my head.

A very very cute hotel. A classic "railway castle" style, but much smaller than Banff Springs or the Empress. When I asked for a map of the hotel, the woman at reception looked at me wryly and said (nicely), "OK, that's the lobby bar there (pointing), and the (fancier restaurant) there (pointing) and downstairs is the health club which has a very nice pool."

Great location downtown, next to the convention center and theatres. Best of all, there's a terrace off the lobby bar that flows nicely into a small parklike setting overlooking the river. Lots of places to sit and chill out in front of the view -- and a great shaded fountain area off to the side. The lobby bar itself is great -- I'm a big fan of lobby bars, so that counts extra with me.

I had a standard Fairmont room on the 4th floor. I was only staying one night, so saw no point in using coupons to upgrade. I suspect that if I had, I would have gotten a view of the river. As it was, however, I was very pleased with the size and furnishings of the room. A desk setup AND a sitting area (in some other Fairmont rooms, I've stayed at, you get one but not the other). Plus, the room was just plain big, for the category. The bathroom was also spacious, with the usual Fairmont toiletries. Very comfortable bed, as always.

A particularly thoughtful touch that I have *not* seen at other Fairmonts (not that I recall, anyway) was a very comprehensive list of what was going on in Edmonton -- I don't mean just the tourist magazines, but a custom made-up printout of what plays were on and which singers were in town. On a down note, I had my usual trouble with the TV remote (either it's my bad luck, or just the state of things, but no matter the hotel, my TV remote usually works only about once every third trip).

I ordered a room service breakfast and it was actually almost reasonably priced for once. :) I also appreciated the breadth of offerings -- instead of just the standard options, I had Banana Bread French Toast with potatoes and eggs. Great food, great service.

My first trip to Edmonton and the hotel was definitely one of the highlights. A very cozy welcoming place. It almost made me wish I had an excuse to come back more often.

tcook052 May 1, 09 1:00 pm

Fairmont Hotel Macdonald Edmonton introduces 12 Lord Strathcona Signature Guestrooms

http://mediacentre.canada.travel/con...otel-macdonald

Edmonton’s Fairmont Hotel Macdonald introduces 12 distinctive Lord Strathcona Signature Guestrooms honouring Lord Strathcona, whose contributions helped shape the future of Canada.

Don Fennerty, General Manager of The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald is pleased to announce a local partnership with the Lord Strathcona’s Royal Canadian Horse Regiment. This spring, Edmonton’s Fairmont Hotel Macdonald will introduce 12 distinctive Lord Strathcona Signature Guestrooms honouring Lord Strathcona, whose contribution to building our nation and influence on Canada’s military helped shape the future of Canada.

Discerning travelers to Edmonton, Alberta will experience the comfort of a newly renovated, elegantly appointed guestroom along with the legacy of Lord Strathcona. The rich history comes alive with artifacts and photographs graciously donated by Edmonton’s Royal Regiment. “We are thrilled to partner with the Lord Strathcona Horse Regiment, who share an equally strong sense of history with The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald,” says General Manager, Don Fennerty. The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald shares a railway history with Sir Donald Smith (later Lord Strathcona), who drove the last spike into the Canadian Pacific railway in 1885. The last spike joined east rails with the west rails making the Canada trans-continental railway a reality.

The distinctive Lord Strathcona Signature Guestrooms will feature:
• Spectacular river valley views
• Welcome amenity
• Complimentary Breakfast
• Upscale speaker phones, coffee makers, IPOD clock radios
• Desk blotters & Magazine Racks
• Lord Strathcona memorabilia including paintings and coffee cups

In addition, the Lord Strathcona guestroom rates will include complimentary breakfast daily.

For more information on the Lord Strathcona Signature Guestrooms call
1 (866) 540-4468 or visit: http://www.fairmont.com/macdonald

foxf1 Sep 6, 09 12:49 pm

Parking options at Fairmont in Edmonton

Would appreciate advice regarding parking options in and around Fairmont in Edmonton. Also, would like info regarding great restaurants, and not to be missed sights in the area.

Thank you.

tcook052 Sep 6, 09 6:00 pm

As expected the parking at the hotel is typically high:

Parking
Guests may pull up to the Main Entrance where the Bell Staff will assist with luggage and valet parking.
$28.00 + GST daily

http://www.fairmont.com/macdonald/Fa...playType=popup

There are surface lots directly adjacent to the Hotel MacDonald and the next door Courtyard by Marriott, though nothing secure and probably not a whole lot cheaper. There is underground parking about 1-2 blocks away under the Citadel Theatre & main library that shouldn't be too expensive, though not familiar with the rules on overnight parking.

One of my favorite downtown restaurants is the casual Harvest Room at the Hotel MacDonald, though for special occasions the family has splurged for the revolving La Ronde Restaurant at the Crowne Plaza Chateau Lacombe which isn't too far away from the Hotel MacDonald and offers scenic river valley views which are all the more special if you're here for the Fall/Autumn colours.

Enjoy your time here. :)

tcook052 Sep 7, 09 10:47 am

Another later thought; please post your impressions of the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald in this forum's hotel review thread sticky at the top of the main forum page as FTers reviews are welcomed there. :)

There yet? Sep 10, 09 11:30 am

I stay here quite regularly, though mostly on weekends. I also hate, HATE, getting ripped off for parking.

So...depending on how obsessive you are and when you're visiting, you can park at the on-street meters for free on Sundays, and after 6pm until 9am on Sat (& possibly weekdays too, but I don't recall). As tcook52 mentioned, there are also surface lots. That said, don't leave anything in your car - unfortunately, Edmonton has one of the 'rougher' downtown areas of our Canadian cities, certainly after dark. Or at least that's the atmosphere.

But on to brighter things, I don't know what kind of dining you're looking for -and I agree the Harvest Room is pretty good (I'd give it a higher rating except the service has been hit or miss in my experience, and it's pricey). Also in the 'high-end' category, The Hardware Grill was awesome (& is closeby) but I haven't been there in a couple years. Another one I love is Il Portico, down near the Legislature. For amazing food that's off most folks radar, The Unheardof (yes, really), is terrific, in a funky cozy house - check their website for location. For 'fusion', and more casual, The Wild Tangerine is delicious, with super friendly staff (north side of downtown, closed Sun). And lastly, for casual comfort food that's still unique and well-prepared, The Blue Plate Diner is great (though gets a bit noisy later on due to stone walls and concrete floors I think) . Whew! That's enough, I'm hungry now!

Enjoy your stay. Oh, and the Hotel MacDonald health club is awesome, as is their (saline) pool.

kokinos Mar 25, 10 9:06 pm

I am checking in very soon, things changed and I needed a second bed for a friend. Plat desk said no possibility of getting a non smoking (They still have smoking rooms???) with two beds even with using a cert.

Called the hotel and they got my business back. Any Platinum/Premiers get free upgrades here?

quank Mar 25, 10 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by kokinos (Post 13650358)
I am checking in very soon, things changed and I needed a second bed for a friend. Plat desk said no possibility of getting a non smoking (They still have smoking rooms???) with two beds even with using a cert.

Called the hotel and they got my business back. Any Platinum/Premiers get free upgrades here?

I know it's been crazy here lately. We have people that come into town every week - have been for the past 3 years - and this week they had to stay at other hotel since so many hotels in town are booked up.

Ancien Maestro Mar 28, 10 10:20 pm

Try Alberta Resident Rate.. Oddly enough, Hotel MacDonald is the only hotel that offers Entertainment Rate here.. Generally, suite upgrade gets you Executive Suite, and room upgrades get you to River View rooms.^

kokinos Mar 29, 10 12:43 pm

My Mac Review out of 10:
Hotel Room: 8 for a Grand Deluxe room I would actually like to have some decent windows
Pool: 8.5
Building: 9 I found the hotel to be very clean and in good shape
Service: 3 I only had to deal with front desk, pool staff and bellman. Check-in agent was nice, the rest probably have just lived in Edmonton too long....

Tried to charge me for parking while checking in and changing our clothes for dinner... even tipped the bellman. Got 0 out of 3 BMW drives... oh the excuses.

Ancien Maestro Jul 22, 10 12:38 am

Checking into Hotel MacDonald later today (as its after midnite). My son's quite excited as we're attending a wedding at "The Palace." We'll be there for 4 nights, and got the Lois Hole Suite.

Anybody get this room before.. my personal concierge says that this is one of the nicest signature suites in the hotel.. got it with my connection with the Hotel Manager/Director of Operations there. Will be nice to finally crack the combination to the 8th floor of the hotel.

Had my doctor buddy stay up in the 8th floor.. got like some sort of double size suite for like $800 for one night. I like to stay longer than that.. and especially with 5 kids.

Kokinos.. I think you said you stayed in the Melville Suite.. how was that? Did you actually pay the coin or did you get upgraded up there?

Anyhow.. itinerary is Friday.. West Ed and/or Science Center
Saturday.. Wedding
Sunday.. Empire Brunch ($48 pp, kids eat free - going to use 4 $25 dining certs at checkout I think on this one)

Anything else we should do in what some of my friends refer to as Deadmonton.. The city of Chump(ion)s?:D Just joking.. my wife is an Oilers fan, born in Edmonton.. so had to slip a slight.:D I must admit.. I really like the Mac.. it has been a draw for us since staying there on our wedding night (we were married at Central Pentecostal.. no longer a building as it was torn down.. and had our reception at the Shaw Conference Center.. IMO Shaw Conference is the way to go in having a well organized and stunning reception.. ice sculptures were provided no charge).. been to the Mac like 10 times. I like the Mac better than the Palliser.. I've been to Palliser lots, but never stayed.. Mac backing on the River is great and a nice draw.^

Ancien Maestro Jul 22, 10 12:46 am

Originally Posted by kokinos (Post 13671088)
My Mac Review out of 10:
Hotel Room: 8 for a Grand Deluxe room I would actually like to have some decent windows
Pool: 8.5
Building: 9 I found the hotel to be very clean and in good shape
Service: 3 I only had to deal with front desk, pool staff and bellman. Check-in agent was nice, the rest probably have just lived in Edmonton too long....

Tried to charge me for parking while checking in and changing our clothes for dinner... even tipped the bellman. Got 0 out of 3 BMW drives... oh the excuses.

LOL.. the bellman likes to hog the beamer for their joy rides. Really, at the end of the day, I bet they just don't give a rip providing that extra service to a 28 yr old platinum member.:D Nor would they give a rip providing the Beamer to a 35 yr old 6'5" 260 lb FPC gargantuan chinese platinum member.:D They are afraid I'll flatten the tires on one side after they take me on their patented wheely joy ride.^

Ancien Maestro Jul 22, 10 11:37 pm

Currently at the Mac and on the 8th floor..

Lay of the land here on the eighth is pretty much sitting areas with dormers overlooking the Saskatchewan River.. lots of maintenance rooms.. lots of vaulted angled ceilings and seems cavernous.. the commercial HVACs are running and sounds like the Movie Contact when Jodie Foster was about to enter the space machine.. constant rumble and shakings.. its actually pretty exciting. The halls are lined with sitting areas under vaults overlooking the Saskatchewan River Valley.. some areas are so low I've almost banged my head up against the angled ceilings

Suites/Rooms/sitting rooms with Views on 8th

801 (Signature Room south), 802 (signature Room) South End of Hotel

Sitting Room overlooking Saskatchewan River Valley

Charles VI room (up stairs on the 9th floor, no elevator access only by stairs, above Lois Hole Suite).. Lois Hole Suite.. These two suites are at the center of the hotel overlooking Saskatchewan River Valley.

3 sitting areas overlooking Saskatchewan River Valley all right in a row

Elizabeth II Suite (Presidential Suite with Dining Room, Pantry, Foyer, Living Room and 2 bedrooms).. The Living Room and Master has the views of the river valley.. This Suite is located at the north end of the hotel.

Suites/Rooms overlooking city

Hays Suite, Churchill Suite (double story), Edward VIII suite (double story and larger than Churchill).. these suites are situated at the center of the hotel overlooking the city.

Other notes.. only the left elevator in the foyer can reach the 8th floor.. the elevator button is head height on the right side inside the elevator.

tcook052 Aug 16, 10 5:17 pm

I had the pleasure to meet & talk the sales manager from the Hotel Mac today who said management is looking into retrofitting the hotel with a Fairmont Gold floor. Still early on in the preliminary stages and if anything were done it would be a few years away but hope it eventually happens. ^