The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald

Old Dec 30, 12, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE
The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald

Similar thing happened to me at the banff springs earlier this year. Suffice it to say that my dollars go to the rim rock. I too am platinum and find that recently the fpc system has become rigid and formulaic.
Old Dec 31, 12, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I had a few conversations with the hotel (executive office and front desk) outlining my concerns how my reservation was handled. The front office manager offered a solution that I accepted and I booked another 4 nights in February. I feel now that they value my business and I look forward to our stay at Hotel MacDonald.

Just as well that the New Year's reservation went tubed. I had some year end work, and had a couple nice workouts at Eau Claire. Looking forward to the week long stay at Banff Springs for some R&R.
Old Jan 26, 13, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Checking into the Hotel MacDonald yesterday, I'm just besides myself.

I talked with Angela multiple times, and contacted the executive office plenty of time prior to our arrival to ensure Hotel MacDonald got the reservation right.

I've even early checked-in online, and ensured preferences were clearly stated on the profile.

Both my wife and I are platinum members, plus we knew a past executive at the hotel, and still when we checked in, they not only ignored our requests, but gave us a room that we regarded the lowest in the category. .
I'm confused. Did they downgrade your room into a category less then your reservation? OR Were they merely unable, or unwilling, to accommodate a non-guaranteed preference? I suspect the hotel had a high occupancy. Might not be enough "great" rooms to go around.

You said you typically stay at Fairmont 50-55 nights a year. How many of those stays are at rack rate? How many are at a discounted rate including friends and family? Reason I asked is an increasing number of hotels aren't counting stays booked with some discounts. It's possible Fairmont has an unpublished policy. In other words it's possible the room you wanted went to someone with better status.

I wouldn't have driven 3 hours home, unless the room being offered was beyond disgusting. I doubt the hotel has any such rooms.
Old Feb 2, 13, 12:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lewisc View Post
I'm confused. Did they downgrade your room into a category less then your reservation? OR Were they merely unable, or unwilling, to accommodate a non-guaranteed preference? I suspect the hotel had a high occupancy. Might not be enough "great" rooms to go around.

You said you typically stay at Fairmont 50-55 nights a year. How many of those stays are at rack rate? How many are at a discounted rate including friends and family? Reason I asked is an increasing number of hotels aren't counting stays booked with some discounts. It's possible Fairmont has an unpublished policy. In other words it's possible the room you wanted went to someone with better status.

I wouldn't have driven 3 hours home, unless the room being offered was beyond disgusting. I doubt the hotel has any such rooms.
Typically rates you find off of Fairmont.com was booked here (which sometimes btw are the best rates available). 10 years and I haven't seen the hotel ignore what's on my profile, especially speaking with the hotel directly prior to arrival. Well, the hotel said that they updated my profile again to avoid confusion for the next time..

I don't typically drive 3 hours neither. This is the second time in 10 years.
Old Feb 4, 13, 7:37 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Both my wife and I are platinum members, plus we knew a past executive at the hotel, and still when we checked in, they not only ignored our requests, but gave us a room that we regarded the lowest in the category. We asked to be switched out of the room to another, and was shown lower categories that just didn't fit the bill. There was no guarantee if we stayed the night, that the manager would move us to another room for the balance of the stay. In fact, after talking to the front desk, we got the impression that the hotel selected and knowingly ignored any loyalty, preferences, and contact we've had with the hotel prior to our arrival. Contact prior to arrival would have prevented us from arriving and having to experience a late night check-in ordeal. At least we could have deleted the plans off of our itinerary, as we have a 7 year old and 3 year old travelling with us.

We walked away from the reservation and drove 3 hours back to Calgary. We ended up cancelling a 7 person Empire Sunday Brunch reservation, and New Years Eve supper. I've lost all confidence with this hotel to get the reservation right for now. I'm not sure how I'll ever bring myself to trust this hotel to get it right.
Were you using an upgrade cert? Or did you book a Fairmont room and just hope to be upgraded?

Originally Posted by lewisc View Post

If you have a confirmed reservation for a specific room type, even with an upgrade I'd expect they would always honor what you book. For random upgrades without a cert, than they probably take in to account spend/stays with hotel etc which is fine with me.
Old Apr 29, 13, 4:52 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Just noticed that the Harvest Room now offers an "Executive Lunch Bar" Monday - Friday from 11.30a.m. - 1.30p.m.

Price is very reasonable at $23 and I was quite impressed with the offering: soup, a few salads and 5-6 types of sandwiches incl. roast beef, chicken, egg salad, vegetarian hummus and some kind of wrap.

Seems to be very popular as the Harvest Room was almost full around 12p.m. when I was there.
Old May 22, 13, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

The Mac is going to the dogs:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...267/story.html

EDMONTON - Smudge the yellow Labrador retriever flunked out as a Seeing Eye dog because she was a little too friendly, but she landed on her paws as a canine ambassador at one of Edmontonís best hotels.

The five-year-old dog has taken up office at the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald on a fat pillow on the plush carpet at the foot of the concierge station. She also likes to sprawl across the cool marble floor beside the reception desk.
Old Jul 17, 13, 12:08 pm

40+ minutes for valet to bring up a car. They actually brought up the wrong car and started putting our bags in it. Obviously a bit of confusion but when you have a meeting at 8:00am I wasn't laughing. They did end up taking valet off the bill.
Old Jul 25, 15, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Service is absolutely fantastic. The rooms though, they are getting old. Clean, but old.

The Presidential suite is to DIE for. Two floors, and rarely used.

Greg, the hotel driver, is awesome. Just tip him, like every valet person but yeah. The awesome service by the front staff more than makes up for the rooms. The Westin Edmonton has gone through a reno and I know all of their front staff by name too, but even still, I prefer the Hotel Mac. The Harvest Room is AWESOME for dinner. Pricey though. I usually always eat dinner at the Harvest Room because they accommodate my dairy issue well.

This place also makes an awesome Vesper Martini, as does the Fairmont YVR (airport) and the Fairmont YYC.
Old Jul 25, 15, 10:12 pm

Fully agree about the service - it's outstanding. I've gotten to know most of the staff over the years who are all fantastic. I think I've only had one screw-up over the years, and the GM went above and beyond to fix it.

Some of the rooms are a little tired, though most of them are still in good condition IMO (though it would be nice to see the bathrooms get a re-fresh).
Old Jul 25, 15, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Fully agree about the service - it's outstanding. I've gotten to know most of the staff over the years who are all fantastic. I think I've only had one screw-up over the years, and the GM went above and beyond to fix it.

Some of the rooms are a little tired, though most of them are still in good condition IMO (though it would be nice to see the bathrooms get a re-fresh).
Yeah, agreed. The bathrooms need work. Remember the stupid little tap thingies in the bathrooms? They are SO old style. With the cog and wheel thingies? God I can't explain it, but you know what I mean.

Best room? Junior suite with the doors separating the bedroom from the living room. I LOVE that room. The rooms with the attic style ceiling? BLEH. Hate them.
Old Jul 25, 15, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Yeah, agreed. The bathrooms need work. Remember the stupid little tap thingies in the bathrooms? They are SO old style. With the cog and wheel thingies? God I can't explain it, but you know what I mean.

Best room? Junior suite with the doors separating the bedroom from the living room. I LOVE that room. The rooms with the attic style ceiling? BLEH. Hate them.
Haha, I really don't care about the taps. As long as I can get a hot shower with decent water pressure, I'm happy.

And I'm not aware of any "Junior Suites". Afaik all standard suites are called "executive suites", however the layouts differ. Afaik only a few have doors that separate the bedroom from the living-room, most of the suites are open-concept suites. (I believe the suites you're referring to are the ones located on the 6th, I don't mind them, but they are a little darkish).

I actually quite like the Grand Deluxe View rooms which are (almost) as large as the suites, but also have a fantastic view.
Old Jul 25, 15, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
And I'm not aware of any "Junior Suites". Afaik all standard suites are called "executive suites",
Yep, you are 100% right. I don't usually recall the name of the suites, but just the equivalent in my head. Busted, and guilty - I've only stayed in the ones with the doors separating them. Otherwise I ask to be moved.

Yes, the executive suites are what I was referring to.

http://www.fairmont.com/macdonald-ed...ations/suites/

FWIW, I don't open blinds. So I think my needs are a bit different than yours
Old Jul 28, 15, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Actually as of now I'm reminded of the two floor presidential suite at this property. Has anyone been?

It's something else. Ask for a tour. You'll feel like a pleeb though once you get back to your own room It is, however....jaw dropping. Lots of pics of the queen though. Sadly Middleton isn't on the walls
Old Jun 12, 16, 5:33 pm

Just thought I'd share that the Fairmont Gold floor is now open.

I had a chance to get a tour of the Gold floor and thought I'd share some impressions:

1) the Gold floor is located on the 7th floor and the lounge is located opposite of the elevators (I believe 3-4 rooms were converted into the Gold lounge)
2) the Gold floor only has 33 rooms, so service should be excellent
3) all guests staying in the speciality suites located on the 8th floor get access to the Gold lounge
4) the Gold floor features the usual amenities such as a deluxe continental breakfast (incl. 2-3 hot items each day), evening canapes and an honor bar
5) all the rooms on the Gold floor have been renovated and could be described as "classic elegance" - furniture is new, but at the same time consistent with the 100 year old history of the hotel
6) the layout of the various Gold rooms differs slighty, but all the rooms I saw were spacious and well-appointed with armchairs and/or sofas
7) the bathrooms have been fully refurbished and now have a large, walk-in shower (instead of the bathtub/shower combo); a few rooms also have a soaker bathtub

Overall, it seems like the hotel did a great job with the Gold floor (and I hope to stay there during one of my future stays).

Last edited by Jasper2009; Oct 8, 16 at 1:00 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: