The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald

Old Dec 28, 11, 4:42 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus View Post
Any recent reports? Trying to decide whether to spend a few leisure days at the Mac in Edmonton or in Calgary at the Palliser or Sheraton Suites.
Ive probably spent half a dozen stays over the last year and was pretty happy overall. I stayed in pretty much all room categories from a Fairmont room to a regular suite, and all were in pretty decent shape. Sure, the bathrooms are pretty small and sometimes not of particularly high standard, but overall the rooms are decent. I can especially recommend the Deluxe/Signature river view rooms, very nice indeed.^

Food and service has been pretty good overall during all my stays, location is very convenient, definitely my hotel of choice in YEG.

Ive only stayed at the Palliser once (in a junior suite) and wasnt impressed at all (very old room, service so-so), so havent returned since.
Old Dec 28, 11, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
There is a way to get free breakfast buffet still at the Mac.. If anyone's interested PM me..

Mac was nice.. they've got a riverview, which the Palliser doesn't..

Sheraton has a few riverview rooms.. the way the hotel is configurated, the north end of the hotel will give some nice views.. but only 15 or 20% from what I can tell actually gives a decent view..
Most of the hotel rooms facing east at the sheraton on floors above 6 should have a river view imho. These rooms will look over Eau Claire and onto Princes Island and all the way to Edmonton Trail bridge. The only real obstruction would be the Waterfront condo building which is two fairly small towers.

On another note I should also add the Sheraton Eau Claire is managed by Fairmont on some level... I kid you not. I forgot the exact term but there is a sign on the left side of check-in area. I live about 2 minute walk from here so walk through this lobby extremely often and noticed it. Also all the rooms are suites so another plus.

But back to address Milhous i would choose Calgary over Etown. The Sheraton is connected to our +15 so you can enjoy going to The Core shopping or restaurants while walking indoors which is very nice during the winter. The Sheraton also has Olly Frescos deli just outside the conference area on +15 which is a great place for cheap but nomnomie lunch. But really if you have a cpl days why not just drive to Banff Springs and really unwind on your quick trip?
Old Jan 1, 12, 11:44 pm

Programs: MAR Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Priority Club Plat. Amb., Hilton HHonors Diamond
I note that the Mac has "signature rooms". Are those the equivalent of Fairmont Gold rooms at other hotels? Do they get a decent breakfast, hors d' oeuvres?
Old Jan 2, 12, 1:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I note that the Mac has "signature rooms". Are those the equivalent of Fairmont Gold rooms at other hotels? Do they get a decent breakfast, hors d' oeuvres?
No gold floor at the Mac.. so no floor with breakfast and hor dourves..

Although, there are certain room and suite categories that include breakfast if you book..
Old Jan 3, 12, 3:13 pm

Programs: MAR Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Priority Club Plat. Amb., Hilton HHonors Diamond
No gold floor at the Mac.. so no floor with breakfast and hor dourves..

Although, there are certain room and suite categories that include breakfast if you book..
I guess that's what Signature Rooms are. Is it a full breakfast buffet?
Old Jan 3, 12, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
At the Chateau Laurier and Chateau Frotenac, the signature rooms have upgraded decor, sometimes larger etc. than a standard room. I've never stayed at the MAC but would assume its the same, and doesn't automatically mean it includes breakfast (as it doesn't at the two mentioned above) unless you specifically book a bed & breakfast rate -- which is a room rate, not a room type.
Old Jan 3, 12, 4:21 pm

Signature rooms at Mac don't get any breakfast or extras from my experience. I think most if not all are on the top floor of the hotel which only one elevator goes too.
I had the one at the end of the hallway on your left as you exit the elevator. It was essentially a junior suite by Banff/Louise standards. A bit smaller then banff but that maybe bc of it's on the top floor and the roof causes the walls to be slanted inwards.
When I did get this room I recieved a very nice 3 tier dessert amenity for being Platinum. As for the actual signature room the furniture, decorations, shape and etc are at a significant better quality then their delxue/fairmont rooms
Old Jan 3, 12, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Fully Breakfast Buffet for 2 in the Harvest Room..
Old Jan 3, 12, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kokinos View Post
Signature rooms at Mac don't get any breakfast or extras from my experience. I think most if not all are on the top floor of the hotel which only one elevator goes too.
I had the one at the end of the hallway on your left as you exit the elevator. It was essentially a junior suite by Banff/Louise standards. A bit smaller then banff but that maybe bc of it's on the top floor and the roof causes the walls to be slanted inwards.
When I did get this room I recieved a very nice 3 tier dessert amenity for being Platinum. As for the actual signature room the furniture, decorations, shape and etc are at a significant better quality then their delxue/fairmont rooms
The hotel reclassified your room you stayed in to Grand View Deluxe.. so no breakfast.. actually the Grand View Deluxe would be nicer than the signature, but the signature is an upgrade because of the breakfast..

http://www.fairmont.com/macdonald/Ac...RoomsIndex.htm

Signature Room

The Signature Rooms are the newly renovated rooms with a historical theme and offers a spectacular view of the North Saskatchewan River Valley. Conducive work environment with an ergonomic chair and also includes complimentary breakfast. This is the recommended choice for the discerning business traveler.

Bed Type: One king

Size: 400 sq. ft.

Please note, the photos above are representative of the room categories. Actual rooms may vary from what is shown.
Old Jan 7, 12, 1:51 am

The hotel reclassified your room you stayed in to Grand View Deluxe.. so no breakfast.. actually the Grand View Deluxe would be nicer than the signature, but the signature is an upgrade because of the breakfast..

http://www.fairmont.com/macdonald/Ac...RoomsIndex.htm

Signature Room

The Signature Rooms are the newly renovated rooms with a historical theme and offers a spectacular view of the North Saskatchewan River Valley. Conducive work environment with an ergonomic chair and also includes complimentary breakfast. This is the recommended choice for the discerning business traveler.

Bed Type: One king

Size: 400 sq. ft.

Please note, the photos above are representative of the room categories. Actual rooms may vary from what is shown.
Good find! From those pics the Grand Deluxe still looks like a much nicer space then the new Signature rooms.
Old Jan 8, 12, 2:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kokinos View Post
Good find! From those pics the Grand Deluxe still looks like a much nicer space then the new Signature rooms.
Yeah, the categories are reworked a bit..

We cut short our last stay to one night, because we didn't get a reservation for the hotel's empire brunch the next day.. I enjoy the hotel, but I prefer their executive suite, even though its about the same size.. The signature room we stayed in was quite spacious and IIRC on the 6th floor.. and there are signature rooms with city view, and river views..

When we checked in, we went up to the first room, and the honestly the signature room had a view of the neighboring hotel, and was the size of a Fairmont room.. so we went back downstairs and asked if there were any others, and was shown another room that was quite a bit more spacious, with a window view of the River Valley.. my wife made the call.
Old Jan 24, 12, 11:11 am

I notice jettsetter has rooms for this hotel at around $200 on most dates including weekdays which is quite a savings compared to BAR.

Here is the link:
http://www.jetsetter.com/hotels/cana...1&ca=view-more

I'm not affiliated and don't make any cash from these links just posting them up bc I find value here
Old May 24, 12, 12:48 pm

I've written a report on the Macdonald from a recent 2 night stay with lots of pictures:

http://behindthecockpit.wordpress.co...ton-ab-canada/

If you have any questions feel free to ask me here.
Old Dec 30, 12, 10:31 am
Suspended

Checking into the Hotel MacDonald yesterday, I'm just besides myself.

I talked with Angela multiple times, and contacted the executive office plenty of time prior to our arrival to ensure Hotel MacDonald got the reservation right.

I've even early checked-in online, and ensured preferences were clearly stated on the profile.

Both my wife and I are platinum members, plus we knew a past executive at the hotel, and still when we checked in, they not only ignored our requests, but gave us a room that we regarded the lowest in the category. We asked to be switched out of the room to another, and was shown lower categories that just didn't fit the bill. There was no guarantee if we stayed the night, that the manager would move us to another room for the balance of the stay. In fact, after talking to the front desk, we got the impression that the hotel selected and knowingly ignored any loyalty, preferences, and contact we've had with the hotel prior to our arrival. Contact prior to arrival would have prevented us from arriving and having to experience a late night check-in ordeal. At least we could have deleted the plans off of our itinerary, as we have a 7 year old and 3 year old travelling with us.

We walked away from the reservation and drove 3 hours back to Calgary. We ended up cancelling a 7 person Empire Sunday Brunch reservation, and New Years Eve supper. I've lost all confidence with this hotel to get the reservation right for now. I'm not sure how I'll ever bring myself to trust this hotel to get it right.

With the amount we spend, and the 10+ years and 15 or so stays we've frequented at this hotel, I have to honestly say that this hotel needs some competent management. Hopefully the new General Manager that they are bringing in late January will help the hotel. We like to spend money at Fairmonts, in fact on our profiles last year and year and this year we are in the 50 to 55 night range. My hope is that our future stays at other Fairmonts will improve. When we spend the tens of thousands we do at Fairmonts, we want to feel that our business is valued.

We are considering a 5 week stay in HI over the summer. With the recent experiences of Fairmont lately, I'm considering Hyatt as a possibility. We've got a 3 week vacation to Orlando happening over spring break, and there are no Fairmonts there, so my eyes are open to other loyalty program opportunities.

Thanks for hearing out my recent experience at this hotel.
Old Dec 30, 12, 11:01 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Im surprised to hear you had such a bad experience. I have stayed there over a dozen times over the last two years and never had a bad experience. While many of the rooms arent overly exciting (though the Deluxe Riverview rooms are very nice and spacious IMO), Ive found the service to be excellent.

I usually just send an e-mail with any special requests to the general e-mail address and have always received a response within 24h.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: