The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald

Old Mar 24, 11, 8:55 pm

Since one of their most important employees left and the dining room flooding this hotel has had lots to deal with recently. But I can tell you they are back on track with service. Our complaint was resolved within hours of my first call directly to the hotel. I had to jump to the top of the totum pole but my so just completed a stay here and had as good of a time you can have in a hotel in Edmonton.

She says the service is were it stands out and ended up reserving more stays for April, May and June. The only slight sour note was the $36 room service personal size pizza (With fees, taxes, and delivery), it was bland but once again the service was fast, professional and they even followed up to make sure everything was fine.

It's probably my fault though because I only make pizzas at home with Tipo 00 flour, proscuitto and san marzano tomatoes all from italy. A few months ago I woke up hungover on a Sunday and since I was out of town and most places were closed I ordered from Pizza 73 and seriously didn't even finish one slice.

Anyways I could talk about Pizza all day but back to the Mac, they are back on track after a rough start to 2011. I have been dealing with the GM so if anyone has any serious issues please feel free to PM me and I can forward you his email since I know he would be interested in learning about it so he can fix it.
Old May 6, 11, 4:10 pm

I stayed here for a night about 3 weeks ago. Service and room were nice, SO got an upgrade to River view which is always a plus at this hotel. Before dinner went to the rather happening lobby bar and enjoyed a few beverages with great service. After dinner we popped back in but it took over 30 minutes to get our drink orders in. By that time I wasn't in a hurry but the live music finished and we ended hitting the sack right after.

The reconstruction of the hotel restaurant has or very shortly will close the lobby bar too so management has decided to offer all guests free breakfast as compensation for no dining out options which I think is nice. Not sure where this will be held but the pool, steam, fitness area will also be closed. Please check with the hotel directly for your dates though.
Old May 6, 11, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokinos View Post
I stayed here for a night about 3 weeks ago. Service and room were nice, SO got an upgrade to River view which is always a plus at this hotel. Before dinner went to the rather happening lobby bar and enjoyed a few beverages with great service. After dinner we popped back in but it took over 30 minutes to get our drink orders in. By that time I wasn't in a hurry but the live music finished and we ended hitting the sack right after.

The reconstruction of the hotel restaurant has or very shortly will close the lobby bar too so management has decided to offer all guests free breakfast as compensation for no dining out options which I think is nice. Not sure where this will be held but the pool, steam, fitness area will also be closed. Please check with the hotel directly for your dates though.
The pools and spa was ok before the renovation.. Glad to see that they are moving in and upgrading the property.

Kokinos.. if you haven't tried their Empire Sunday Brunch, do it.. Its' $45 pp approximately, but it'll make it special for your SO. Mother's day this weekend.. hopefullyl you know somebody down there to get you in.

If you've got free breakfast, pay the difference for brunch.. that'll help you with the savings.^
Old May 29, 11, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

http://www.thestar.com/travel/northa...n-destinations

Heather Mallick

When I’m down and troubled, I place myself in my mind’s eye on the grand terrace of the Hotel Macdonald in Edmonton, where I often stay. From there I look over the North Saskatchewan River Valley laid out before me like a tray and I am a happy woman.

I like a wide sky, and Edmonton, a much underrated city, has the widest skies in Canada.

Built in 1915, the Macdonald is my favourite of the great station hotels built by Canadian Pacific (since bought and renamed by the Fairmont chain). From the terrace, you can ask waiters for things—frankly, I worry about the people whose favourite Canadian place doesn’t serve drinks— and sit back to contemplate the sheer grandeur of the valley.

I always think of a famous line from The Great Gatsby, for the green starts at the bank this side of the river and runs uphill for part of a mile, jumping over roads and bumps and gullies, becoming more sculpted and civilized before reaching the hotel. On the other side of the river is more tidy bits, and beyond that, the land that made explorers gasp.

The river is a beautiful fast gash in between.

I love the sight of it. It always lifts my heart.
Old Jun 3, 11, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE
I'm pretty sure the writer isn't much of a fact checker... CP bought Fairmont in 1999,
Old Jun 3, 11, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fly-yul View Post
I'm pretty sure the writer isn't much of a fact checker... CP bought Fairmont in 1999,
I thought Fairmont bought CP?
Old Jun 4, 11, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Nope, CP bought Fairmont, but decided that the Fairmont name had a better global presence than the Canadian Pacific name. CP was strong in Canada, but no so much outside of Canada.

In any case, this was originally a CN hotel, and CP bought the CN hotels in 1988.
Old Jun 7, 11, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
Nope, CP bought Fairmont, but decided that the Fairmont name had a better global presence than the Canadian Pacific name. CP was strong in Canada, but no so much outside of Canada.

In any case, this was originally a CN hotel, and CP bought the CN hotels in 1988.
Note though that the Mac was not an original CN Hotels property, only becoming one later in its life.
Old Jun 9, 11, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Note though that the Mac was not an original CN Hotels property, only becoming one later in its life.
I was always under the inpression that it was built by the Grand Trunk Pacific, which of course went bankrupt along with the Canadian Northern and was taken over by the government to become Canadian National in 1922/23. If it wasn't the GTP who built it, who did?
Old Jun 9, 11, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by kokinos View Post
The reconstruction of the hotel restaurant has or very shortly will close the lobby bar too so management has decided to offer all guests free breakfast
Is this still happening? I see regular room rates listed and B&B rates.
Old Jun 9, 11, 8:54 pm

I was always under the inpression that it was built by the Grand Trunk Pacific, which of course went bankrupt along with the Canadian Northern and was taken over by the government to become Canadian National in 1922/23. If it wasn't the GTP who built it, who did?
Nope, you are correct and I incorrect and must've gotten all the companies mixed up. Apologies.
Old Jun 9, 11, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Is this still happening? I see regular room rates listed and B&B rates.
The ballroom is where Empire Brunch happens every Sunday.. perhaps breakfast moved to the ballroom or is relocated elsewhere in the hotel.
Old Jun 10, 11, 10:35 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
No, the free breakfast was only offered during the very short period (early May as I recall) when, along with the Harvest Room, the Confederation Lounge and the fitness centre/pool were ALSO shut down.

As it stands (or did in late May), only the Harvest Room is closed, and (paid, not free) breakfast is offered in the Confederation Lounge.
Old Dec 26, 11, 11:54 pm

Programs: MAR Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Priority Club Plat. Amb., Hilton HHonors Diamond
Any recent reports? Trying to decide whether to spend a few leisure days at the Mac in Edmonton or in Calgary at the Palliser or Sheraton Suites.
Old Dec 28, 11, 12:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by There yet? View Post
No, the free breakfast was only offered during the very short period (early May as I recall) when, along with the Harvest Room, the Confederation Lounge and the fitness centre/pool were ALSO shut down.

As it stands (or did in late May), only the Harvest Room is closed, and (paid, not free) breakfast is offered in the Confederation Lounge.
There is a way to get free breakfast buffet still at the Mac.. If anyone's interested PM me..

Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus View Post
Any recent reports? Trying to decide whether to spend a few leisure days at the Mac in Edmonton or in Calgary at the Palliser or Sheraton Suites.
Mac was nice.. they've got a riverview, which the Palliser doesn't..

Sheraton has a few riverview rooms.. the way the hotel is configurated, the north end of the hotel will give some nice views.. but only 15 or 20% from what I can tell actually gives a decent view..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: