Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:40 pm

What's happening with the MGMT at this hotel lately?
Luis left (No clue if he moved to another Fairmont) and since my SO started working out of Edmonton this year I managed to get a corp deal with him for about 25 nights a year with a ceiling rate for her.
She needs to book about 10 rooms nights and has talked to 3 different ppl at the hotel to secure these bookings and been promised 3 calls back but nothing yet now for two weeks!
She is fed up dealing with this even though her last 2 stays were very enjoyable. Luckly I'm a Fairmont fan and told her to try one more time tmrw but I guess the Mac must be fully booked since it takes at least 4 calls for a frequent guest to make a rez
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by kokinos
Luis left (No clue if he moved to another Fairmont) and since my SO started working out of Edmonton this year I managed to get a corp deal with him for about 25 nights a year with a ceiling rate for her.
She needs to book about 10 rooms nights and has talked to 3 different ppl at the hotel to secure these bookings and been promised 3 calls back but nothing yet now for two weeks!
She is fed up dealing with this even though her last 2 stays were very enjoyable. Luckly I'm a Fairmont fan and told her to try one more time tmrw but I guess the Mac must be fully booked since it takes at least 4 calls for a frequent guest to make a rez
There is a serious amount of consultants coming in on a weekly basis that I'm sure books up a bunch of rooms. That being said, that is no excuse. Hopefully you can sort this out sooner than later.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Good talking to you today Kokinos!^ Louis was a personal friend of mine.. not good to see him go. Hopefully, I was able to help you out.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC SE
Skip the Mac for now.

The service was terrible at the hotel. I had one problem after another during my stay 2 weeks ago.

Also of note - the main dining room is closed and will be indefinitely due to water damage.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fly-yul
Skip the Mac for now.

The service was terrible at the hotel. I had one problem after another during my stay 2 weeks ago.

Also of note - the main dining room is closed and will be indefinitely due to water damage.
Over the years, unfortunately the service has always been the same..

Hopefully the ball room isn't damaged. The empire brunch and service is always excellent, and worth every penny of the $47 pp IMO.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Over the years, unfortunately the service has always been the same..

Hopefully the ball room isn't damaged. The empire brunch and service is always excellent, and worth every penny of the $47 pp IMO.
My impression, having spoken to the GM about it, is that the damage is very serious and that the Harvest room will be closed indefiently.

The hotel's website says "Please note that due to Ice and Snow Damage the Harvest Room is currently closed for repairs until further notice."

There is not currently any repair work underway. They are still waiting for competing enginering reports to sort out what insurance coverage, if any, they may have to pay for the repairs.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Sadly, my visit to this property for dinner on Saturday night was less than enjoyable. The restaurant is closed indefinitely as mentioned, the small lounge was packed and the service was awful - my bartender/server looked 19ish and I felt like I was at Moxie's for dinner.

The appetizer was disappointing, the main was pretty good and the dessert was terrible. Moreover, the $25 Plat cert was valued at $23 CAD. Only at the Fairmont Macdonald.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Sadly, my visit to this property for dinner on Saturday night was less than enjoyable. The restaurant is closed indefinitely as mentioned, the small lounge was packed and the service was awful - my bartender/server looked 19ish and I felt like I was at Moxie's for dinner.

The appetizer was disappointing, the main was pretty good and the dessert was terrible. Moreover, the $25 Plat cert was valued at $23 CAD. Only at the Fairmont Macdonald.
Plat Cert at $23 happened to me as well at Hotel MacDonald. Walk to the corner and go to Ruth's Chris.. even Japanese Village I prefer to eating at the hotel for supper.

All employees seem a bit young there.. but that's ok.. I like staying at the Mac, and find it to be a treat visiting Edmonton. The river view and brunch what attracts me there.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Maybe this explains it:

Are you a seasoned hotelier ready for the next step in your career? We are looking for the next Director of Operations at Fairmont Vancouver Airport, The Fairmont Winnipeg and The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald. Apply today - http://linkd.in/eD2y5n
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Maybe this explains it:

Are you a seasoned hotelier ready for the next step in your career? We are looking for the next Director of Operations at Fairmont Vancouver Airport, The Fairmont Winnipeg and The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald. Apply today - http://linkd.in/eD2y5n
I confirm my contact Director of Operations at Hotel MacDonald is no longer working there..
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:08 pm

So I complained to corporate today about my SOs issues with this hotel. She tallied how many times she tried to contact the hotel and they took 36 days to get back to her after her 7 attempts. Yes thats right 36 days!!!

Not only did she have a great stay at the Delta Centre Suites a couple weeks ago but she doesn't even want to deal with the Mac anymore so I took things into my hands hoping we have a Dual Platinum relationship like AM has with his wife for 2012.

I also left a message with the GMs secretary to give him a heads up so I'm curious if we get a resolution or if this place really does need to be avoided by us. From the posts above it seems the Mac has many problems right now... hope they can work them out asap.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:49 pm
Suspended

So I complained to corporate today about my SOs issues with this hotel. She tallied how many times she tried to contact the hotel and they took 36 days to get back to her after her 7 attempts. Yes thats right 36 days!!!

Not only did she have a great stay at the Delta Centre Suites a couple weeks ago but she doesn't even want to deal with the Mac anymore so I took things into my hands hoping we have a Dual Platinum relationship like AM has with his wife for 2012.

I also left a message with the GMs secretary to give him a heads up so I'm curious if we get a resolution or if this place really does need to be avoided by us. From the posts above it seems the Mac has many problems right now... hope they can work them out asap.
No luck? Too bad Louis left..

Is there a front desk or front office manager you can deal with?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
First night

Stayed there two nights when I got married. We had some sort of suite where the bedroom was upstairs and the sitting room was downstairs. Great hotel!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by kaaria
Stayed there two nights when I got married. We had some sort of suite where the bedroom was upstairs and the sitting room was downstairs. Great hotel!
It would be helpful to provide some dates in reference to your stay as all recent experiences have been well below expectations.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaaria
Did your suite have a riverview and was it above the Lois Hole suite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.