Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by italdesign
Greetings. I'm contemplating a stay next year. Last year I stayed at Fairmont Lake Louise and was disappointed. While the lake was breathtakingly beautiful, I didn't like how big and impersonal the hotel was. I could have stayed elsewhere and still enjoyed the lake. This hotel seems like it might offer the more secluded, private experience that I enjoy more. However, since it has a $500 per night price tag (not that I'm paying full price), I want to make sure it's worth it. Any recent experience would be appreciated. Although the overall rating is shockingly low on TripAdvisor, recent ratings have been favorable.

I'll probably use either a room upgrade or suite upgrade. Any comment on those room types would be appreciated.
JPL is my favourite of the three properties in the Rocky Mountains. While there are hundreds of rooms, it was a very different feel than LL or BSH since there are only a few dozen rooms in the main lodge and all the other rooms are spread across the many cabins. It's also a ~10min drive from town, so you don't get too many tourists (who're not staying there) walking around the property.

When using a room upgrade cert, I'd try to get a Deluxe Lakeview Main Building room with balcony.

I'm not sure what the hotel's policy is with regards to suite upgrades. They used to be quite generous and upgrades to one-bedroom lakeview suites were quite common (which are very nice IMO). The junior suites (especially those with a lakeview) are also quite nice.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
It is VERY difficult to get the one-bedroom lakeview upgrade these days, unless you have strong personal connections at the hotel. However, the Junior Lakeview suite is what you normally get, and it is a fantastic upgrade. Most have a fireplace for cold summer nights, and access to the lake views/paths is superb.

Let's not beat around the bush - these are older cabins - if you are expecting opulent luxury inside the room, then you will not be super impressed. In my opinion, if you are spending that much time in the room, you are doing JPL wrong. The grounds are world class, and this is an exceptional Fairmont property.

I suggest using a suite upgrade over a room upgrade at this property.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:41 am
Original Poster

We had a generally good stay over Canada Day Weekend 2016, my second visit to this property (see original post for first visit in 2007). 4 nights, using 2+2 Chase Visa certificates. The two reservations were coordinated through notes in the file, which we requested by email before arrival.

On Day 2, the room was not refreshed by housekeeping even though we were away all day. The front desk remedied this, and arranged for two free cocktails. We ordered the $CAD 22 margaritas, which resembled $8 margaritas elsewhere. The remaining days were fine.

All of our dining certificates (12 total) were redeemed on checkout and converted to reflect US dollar value at the hotel's admittedly unfavorable exchange rate. The resort fee was imposed "for our convenience".

We booked 3 dining reservations at the hotel on Open Table. The Orso and Moose's Nook (a better name might be Elk's Nook) were good. Dining in the main lobby was more problematic, with doors left open (chilly winds) to accommodate the staff and generally poor service. The first time we had breakfast at Orso the server did not offer a menu and gave the impression that the buffet was the only option, which is not the case.

One highlight was that a server gave us directions to a non-publicized viewpoint, "Edge of the World", generally known only to locals, on the Marmot Basin Road near the ski area. It was worth visiting and is not marked on park maps or at the location, even though there is well-defined 10-minute trail to the viewpoint. On Canada Day the hotel served a huge cake in the form of the Canadian flag to guests at 830pm, preceded by bagpipes. Another highlight of our stay was using our fireplace.

Last edited by Reindeerflame; Jan 4, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Been a while since I've stayed here and I'm back here tomorrow on a F&F rate(friend works here). Anyone know if status benefits are provided on such rates?

​​​​​Never stayed here during winter time and looking forward to it!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Been a while since I've stayed here and I'm back here tomorrow on a F&F rate(friend works here). Anyone know if status benefits are provided on such rates?

Fairmont treats FAF bookings no differently than other rates, so all status benefits apply.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,

You will get all benefits. I highly recommend you use your suite upgrade at this hotel. There is a stark difference between regular rooms and suite upgrades.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:20 pm

Just got back. $99 rate. Got upgraded to some deluxe suite out in the cabins. Was really nice with a lake view. Had to extend a night and the room was booked so was put into a main room deluxe suite as well. Valet was free.

It was 95% family staying here, so it was a bit weird being the young people and intoxicated hahaha.

Had a great stay! Staff goes above and beyond here. Super friendly. Because we knew one of the staff members, we were getting discounts and hooked up left and right.

Only thing: the breakfast buffet was very underwhelming for $40/person.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:39 am

Just got back. $99 rate.
Is that an employee rate?!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Is that an employee rate?!
Yup, Friends & Family I think it's called
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:29 pm

Yup, Friends & Family I think it's called
I haven't heard of the FAF rate being that low in a very very long time.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:23 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I recently had a 4-night stay here. I did not even shop around and simply booked at Fairmont for various reasons, including loyalty to the hotel chain, and I assumed that I would get more bang for my buck here because of the Platinum benefits and I had a suite upgrade to use. This plus the fact that reviews here are positive. If I had booked at any of the non-chain hotels in the area then I get what I pay for and I am a lowly one-time customer.

I do not want to be overly critical, but honestly if I did not have the suite upgrade I wonder if it's really worth paying $600 per night for the Fairmont? I cannot be sure since as I said I did not shop around, but I suspect that I could have booked somewhere decent for $200-300 instead. Perhaps it's because I booked in peak season in July, on a weekend to boot, and that such a premium over other hotels is not the norm. If so, then my bad for not shopping around. That said, even with the "free" suite I am hesitant about the value proposition here, but my expectations were high.

The hotel was fine but a few minor disappointments such as the room being quite dark and not having cold water from the tap which was odd. No big deal but I might be tempted to try other options in Jasper next time, especially if I happen not to have a suite upgrade cert.

I normally do not pay too much attention to TA but this time I might agree with the TA ratings which say Fairmont is fine but that there are better options. I will not dismiss Fairmont next time but I will definitely be more price conscious.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by escape4
I recently had a 4-night stay here. I did not even shop around and simply booked at Fairmont for various reasons, including loyalty to the hotel chain, and I assumed that I would get more bang for my buck here because of the Platinum benefits and I had a suite upgrade to use. This plus the fact that reviews here are positive. If I had booked at any of the non-chain hotels in the area then I get what I pay for and I am a lowly one-time customer.

I do not want to be overly critical, but honestly if I did not have the suite upgrade I wonder if it's really worth paying $600 per night for the Fairmont? I cannot be sure since as I said I did not shop around, but I suspect that I could have booked somewhere decent for $200-300 instead. Perhaps it's because I booked in peak season in July, on a weekend to boot, and that such a premium over other hotels is not the norm. If so, then my bad for not shopping around. That said, even with the "free" suite I am hesitant about the value proposition here, but my expectations were high.

The hotel was fine but a few minor disappointments such as the room being quite dark and not having cold water from the tap which was odd. No big deal but I might be tempted to try other options in Jasper next time, especially if I happen not to have a suite upgrade cert.

I normally do not pay too much attention to TA but this time I might agree with the TA ratings which say Fairmont is fine but that there are better options. I will not dismiss Fairmont next time but I will definitely be more price conscious.
You're paying for the area. Prices at all three of the Canadian Rocky Mountain Properties (Banff Springs, Lake Louise and Jasper) are all experiencing record high prices, and vacancy across Jasper hotels right now is almost zero! People are booking accommodations in crappy places like Hinton and driving in each day, because the place is just booked out.

Next July, Lake Louise is already selling base Fairmont Lakeview rooms for $949+tax! Non lakeview is only about $50 less.

These days, $300/night in Banff and Jasper gets you a pretty basic hotel. A double bed at the hostel in Lake Louise is $170. It's $252 if you want a hostel room with a 3-piece washroom... at a hostel!

By comparison, $600 at the Jasper Park Lodge doesn't seem too bad, but it's crazy expensive compared to prices 3 years ago.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
No big deal but I might be tempted to try other options in Jasper next time, especially if I happen not to have a suite upgrade cert.
I think you may be surprised, but there really aren't any other comparable options in the area.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
You're paying for the area. Prices at all three of the Canadian Rocky Mountain Properties (Banff Springs, Lake Louise and Jasper) are all experiencing record high prices, and vacancy across Jasper hotels right now is almost zero! People are booking accommodations in crappy places like Hinton and driving in each day, because the place is just booked out.

Next July, Lake Louise is already selling base Fairmont Lakeview rooms for $949+tax! Non lakeview is only about $50 less.

These days, $300/night in Banff and Jasper gets you a pretty basic hotel. A double bed at the hostel in Lake Louise is $170. It's $252 if you want a hostel room with a 3-piece washroom... at a hostel!

By comparison, $600 at the Jasper Park Lodge doesn't seem too bad, but it's crazy expensive compared to prices 3 years ago.
Fully agree!!!

Occupany rates have been absolutely crazy, I have seen various dates where there literally wasn't a single room available at any hotel/motel in Jasper or Banff.

Some of the (self-catering) cabins in the Jasper area are sort of nice, but in terms of hotels there's really not a single option that comes close to the Jasper Park Lodge in terms of location, amenities, service etc.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:13 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Thanks all for the feedback. It sounds like the price premium for the Fairmont is not as high as I thought, particularly in the summer! Jasper has become more expensive than I thought, from the eye of someone not price-shopping in the area much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.