Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best Accor for Shanghai Expo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

best Accor for Shanghai Expo

I'm thinking of taking my family to the Shanghai World Expo 2010, especially with the super-sale coming up.

Which properties do you think offer the best location and rooms for a family of four? The Sofitel JinJiang in Pudong is billing itself as close to the Expo site, but I gather there's not too much else around, except by taxi.

The Sofitel Hyland would probably be my first choice just for a visit to Shanghai, but I wonder about transportation.

Another factor is we would arrive late at night after a long day of travel and Pudong is closer to the airport.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA
In Puxi,
Sofitel Shanghai Hyland has the most convenient location.

In Pudong,
Novotel Shanghai Atlantis will be a good choice.

Both are close to subway.

Pudong will nicer, newer and more spacious city layout than Puxi.

The Sofitel JinJiang has good reputation, but maybe far away from downtown.

FYI, Taxi is very cheap. First 3 km (1.9 miles) is at RMB12 (like USD1.8), then every 1km (0.6 miles) costs RMB2.4 (USD0.36). Oneway from Pudong Airport to downtown costs like RMB150 (a little bit more than USD20).

Last edited by alwaysflyingLA; Mar 2, 2010 at 11:54 pm
Old Mar 11, 2010, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by xavierkuai
In Puxi,
Sofitel Shanghai Hyland has the most convenient location.

In Pudong,
Novotel Shanghai Atlantis will be a good choice.

Both are close to subway.

Pudong will nicer, newer and more spacious city layout than Puxi.

The Sofitel JinJiang has good reputation, but maybe far away from downtown.

FYI, Taxi is very cheap. First 3 km (1.9 miles) is at RMB12 (like USD1.8), then every 1km (0.6 miles) costs RMB2.4 (USD0.36). Oneway from Pudong Airport to downtown costs like RMB150 (a little bit more than USD20).
Totaly agreed.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:24 am

Programs: QFF SG, EK, EY Silver, SQ Gold, SPG, PC Plat RA, AŚClub Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by adlibitum
I'm thinking of taking my family to the Shanghai World Expo 2010, especially with the super-sale coming up.

Which properties do you think offer the best location and rooms for a family of four? The Sofitel JinJiang in Pudong is billing itself as close to the Expo site, but I gather there's not too much else around, except by taxi.

The Sofitel Hyland would probably be my first choice just for a visit to Shanghai, but I wonder about transportation.

Another factor is we would arrive late at night after a long day of travel and Pudong is closer to the airport.

Any thoughts?
I didn't notice this thread before (and as it so happens I'm sitting in the InterContinental Pudong writing this! I know, wrong forum )...

As much as I like the Hyland, mostly for the location, I would struggle to envisage it as a place to take my family. There's no pool, and the living areas are a little limited. Food is fine in the restaurant, but not top-notch.
However, I've spent something like 60 nights there in the last couple of years, and I use it because it's easy to get to most places from there. The Metro station is a 2 minute walk from the back of the hotel, which is very cheap and easy to use, and works out pretty economical even with 4 of you (have a look here).

If you're arriving late at night, then I would probably still go to the Hyland, as the taxi journey would be much easier - traffic is pretty horrendous otherwise.
It's not difficult to get around Shanghai, it is quite a Westernised city with most directions and signs in English, just remember you're sharing the space with 22 million other people!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.