FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Sofitel Shanghai Hyland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1021337-sofitel-shanghai-hyland.html)

asj.alt Nov 27, 09 2:42 pm

Sofitel Shanghai Hyland
 
Hi,

I've been doing a lot of research of a decent hotel to stay in Shanghai next March, and Sofitel Shanghai Hyland is high on the list of consideration.

Has anyone stayed there before? Any review or photos?

Thanks.

moondog Nov 28, 09 1:32 am


Originally Posted by asj.alt (Post 12888274)
Hi,

I've been doing a lot of research of a decent hotel to stay in Shanghai next March, and Sofitel Shanghai Hyland is high on the list of consideration.

Has anyone stayed there before? Any review or photos?

Thanks.

Like I (indirectly) advised you in your other thread about about SH hotels, you should refrain from creating new threads on the same topic

But, since you asked, that's not a very good hotel IMO (stayed there in 95 and that was its peak year).

What's more, I can't imagine why you'd focus on NJ Rd, E. Sure, it's better than the Bund or Lujiazui, but not a convenient area.

mosburger Nov 30, 09 11:20 pm


Originally Posted by moondog (Post 12889937)
Like I (indirectly) advised you in your other thread about about SH hotels, you should refrain from creating new threads on the same topic

But, since you asked, that's not a very good hotel IMO (stayed there in 95 and that was its peak year).

What's more, I can't imagine why you'd focus on NJ Rd, E. Sure, it's better than the Bund or Lujiazui, but not a convenient area.

You might be referring to something related to the rooms? Although I have not found anything negative with those either, but maybe just got lucky.

As for bars and restaurants, I personally would rate the Sofitel top in Shanghai. The food is solid French, not too trendy, and the club level breakfast high above Puxi excellent. And I really like the lobby bar and their cheese plate. :)

moondog Dec 1, 09 11:30 am


Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 12903771)
You might be referring to something related to the rooms? Although I have not found anything negative with those either, but maybe just got lucky.

As for bars and restaurants, I personally would rate the Sofitel top in Shanghai. The food is solid French, not too trendy, and the club level breakfast high above Puxi excellent. And I really like the lobby bar and their cheese plate. :)

The rooms aren't too bad; similar to Hilton/Portman because all 3 hotels were launched during the same era. Also, to be fair, I haven't eaten there during the past 5 years (maybe 10); a few bad breakfasts were sufficient to keep me at bay.

I suppose my main point is:
-SH's hotel market has exploded during the past 20 years
-would much rather stay in a newer or better located property

That having been said, I will admit that my intel on the Sofitel Hyland could be stale by now.

steve-o Dec 1, 09 8:26 pm

Sofitel Hyland Shanghai
 
Stayed at this hotel about 2 years ago with the Mrs.; decent, but smallish sized bed room when compared to other 4-Star hotels I stayed at in China, but not bad. Furniture was decent. I was told that the club rooms (not sure of upgrade cost) were much nicer by those who decided to upgrade (bargain with the front desk though). Breakfast served just off the lobby was very good. Even eat dinner in the lobby restaurant one night, and it was pretty good. Overall, not a bad place if one could avoid the touts selling fake watches outside the hotel on Nanjing Rd.

Walked past the hotel several months ago, place still looks quite decent from the outside (at least). Stayed at a private home on last visit.

SAS

SkyTeam777 Aug 23, 12 8:28 pm

Any updates on this property recently?

West Coast Ace Sep 9, 12 7:46 pm


Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 19182539)
Any updates on this property recently?

I stayed there in 2010. Most rooms had been refurbed by then (see website for pictures). Staff is very competent and speak decent English. The huge negative is, as Moondog mentioned, it's on E Nanjing Rd - (if you are Caucasian) you will be accosted by people trying to sell you crap, beggars, etc, the second you walk out the door. Gets old.

I now stay at the Regal East Asia Hotel in the French Concession. 5 stars at a decent rate (I use Agoda.com). The fact that they have a ton of tennis courts helps too! But it's a great area - but still metro-friendly - a few blocks from the Hengshan Rd stop on line 1. And close to some nightlife and late night eating.

iahphx Dec 18, 12 10:27 am


Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 19284814)
I stayed there in 2010. Most rooms had been refurbed by then (see website for pictures). Staff is very competent and speak decent English. The huge negative is, as Moondog mentioned, it's on E Nanjing Rd - (if you are Caucasian) you will be accosted by people trying to sell you crap, beggars, etc, the second you walk out the door. Gets old.

I now stay at the Regal East Asia Hotel in the French Concession. 5 stars at a decent rate (I use Agoda.com). The fact that they have a ton of tennis courts helps too! But it's a great area - but still metro-friendly - a few blocks from the Hengshan Rd stop on line 1. And close to some nightlife and late night eating.

I've booked a cheap rate at this hotel primarily FOR it's location (I'm on a quick visit to Shanghai and need to do some shopping). I've got a "classic" room. One review in the Accor "experience" thread says those rooms are dumps and you want a Club room. The standard upgrade from Classic for Platinums is Junior Suite. Apparently this is a larger dump. Has anyone negotiated an upgrade to Club -- perhaps by paying a little extra (and maybe using an Accor voucher to pay)? Thanks.

RJ77 Dec 28, 12 7:42 pm


Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 19879817)
One review in the Accor "experience" thread says those rooms are dumps and you want a Club room. The standard upgrade from Classic for Platinums is Junior Suite. Apparently this is a larger dump.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it :D


Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 19879817)
Has anyone negotiated an upgrade to Club -- perhaps by paying a little extra (and maybe using an Accor voucher to pay)? Thanks.

Why don't you just book the club room, double the price of the classic room as it is, it's still around US$150+. On a prime location, that's a steal. Or ditch the booking and stay at other much better hotels along the Bund. And I generally prefer Sofitel to other hotels of similar standards so that's saying a lot about the state of this hotel.

moondog Dec 28, 12 9:38 pm


Originally Posted by RJ77 (Post 19936220)
Sounds familiar, doesn't it :D



Why don't you just book the club room, double the price of the classic room as it is, it's still around US$150+. On a prime location, that's a steal. Or ditch the booking and stay at other much better hotels along the Bund. And I generally prefer Sofitel to other hotels of similar standards so that's saying a lot about the state of this hotel.

Not only are Bund hotels expensive, but everything else in the area is as well (e.g. y75 Coronas at Rouge). But, I too think that iahphx might be able to do a bit better than the Sofitel without breaking bank (I would just advise him to stay away from the Bund).

Chinatrvl Dec 29, 12 5:37 am

Radisson Blu New World is 80 USD with CARLSONF when available, usually for spacious (but nothing special) deluxe rooms.

mosburger Dec 31, 12 10:47 am

The lobby bar and restaurants are still first rate....

moondog Dec 31, 12 6:30 pm


Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 19948777)
The lobby bar and restaurants are still first rate....

At the Soft Hotel? Although I haven't been there in a long time, I recall being disgusted by their pathetic excuse for a brunch.

I'm liking that Radisson price, though.

mosburger Jan 2, 13 12:15 pm


Originally Posted by moondog (Post 19950978)
At the Soft Hotel? Although I haven't been there in a long time, I recall being disgusted by their pathetic excuse for a brunch.

I'm liking that Radisson price, though.

Club level breakfast, dinner buffet at the main restaurant and the cheese plate accompanied by wine at the lobby bar. Stick to those, lao moondog. ;)

Also sorry for forgetting about the Linkedin thing. Will check that once back to the Middle Kingdom. Happy New Year!

lingua101 Jan 2, 13 5:37 pm

Was dropped by that hotel last night and had a chat with the front office staff.

He told me they will start refurbishing the classic room this year (April??) as many guests complain that the room doest not look like the picture.

If you Gold and above they will upgrade you (at least that what he told me when I saw my Gold card)

RJ77 Jan 3, 13 7:48 am


Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 19948777)
The lobby bar and restaurants are still first rate....

Seriously? The lobby bar must be one of the worst I've seen. Totally devoid of atmosphere. The club breakfast is ok-ish, you get fed but would not be close to saying it's good. Certainly not first rate. Service is hit and miss and the one server Sheila can be said to be near the level of being competent (addressing my name correctly during breakfast service helps). The rest of them have minimal interactions with the guests maybe due to lack of English proficiency.

RJ77 Jan 3, 13 7:52 am


Originally Posted by Chinatrvl (Post 19937775)
Radisson Blu New World is 80 USD with CARLSONF when available, usually for spacious (but nothing special) deluxe rooms.

I was really thinking about this hotel as well if looking for similar price range. Great location overlooking the people's park which is the green lungs of Huangpu area. Near to a few shopping malls as well.

mosburger Jan 3, 13 12:10 pm


Originally Posted by RJ77 (Post 19966025)
Seriously? The lobby bar must be one of the worst I've seen. Totally devoid of atmosphere. The club breakfast is ok-ish, you get fed but would not be close to saying it's good. Certainly not first rate. Service is hit and miss and the one server Sheila can be said to be near the level of being competent (addressing my name correctly during breakfast service helps). The rest of them have minimal interactions with the guests maybe due to lack of English proficiency.

A few points, if I might: I go to the lobby bar to meet friends over the cheese plate and some wine or beer. It's far more civilized than most that's available in the whole area. The Bund is poorly accessible so not much interest to go there at all.

And for me quality comes first, regarding the brekkie. If they do the basic French stuff (coffee, baguette, jam, cheese) right and offer some additional quality items like salmon then it's fine for me.

Servicewise, doesn't sound too good but then that's reality in Shanghai with the absurd real estate prices. Nobody wants to stay in entry level jobs for long.

Sorry if I seem stubborn but kind of close this place long ago as "my Puxi R&R spot". Must have been 2007 or so. ;)

iahphx Jan 7, 13 5:41 am

The Sofitel itself is nothing special but the location is excellent -- if, as Moondog mentions, you're not bothered by folks approaching you on Nanjing Rd every 3 or 4 minutes to sell you something (it didn't bother us much, we just ignore the pitches).

As plats, we were supposedly upgraded from classic rooms to junior suites, but they were still very small. We had an $80 rate on Expedia and used some BRG vouchers, so the Radisson (which also has great location) would have been "too expensive" for us. :)

For leisure travellers, the nice thing about this area is that you're very close to many of the things you'd want to see (the Bund, the Shanghai Museum, the fake market on W. Nanjing) and transport options are great. As I mentioned in the visa-free thread, you can even get to PVG in 1:15 on the #2 line for 8 yuan.

That said, I wouldn't pay much for this hotel, and they wanted over $100 per room to upgrade us to a real club floor with breakfast and lounge privileges. We ate dumplings on the street for that.

RJ77 Jan 7, 13 11:14 pm


Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 19992502)

That said, I wouldn't pay much for this hotel, and they wanted over $100 per room to upgrade us to a real club floor with breakfast and lounge privileges. We ate dumplings on the street for that.

That's a lot of dumplings!:) the only reason one gets the club level rooms is to get a cleaner more updated room. You're not missing much o the club lounge unless you're a heavy drinker.

iahphx Jan 8, 13 9:40 am


Originally Posted by RJ77 (Post 19999477)
That's a lot of dumplings!:) the only reason one gets the club level rooms is to get a cleaner more updated room. You're not missing much o the club lounge unless you're a heavy drinker.

Yeah, I was a little surprised that I couldn't "negotiate" an upgrade to the club level for a modest additional sum. A couple of years ago, I was successful in similar negotiations at the Suzhou Sofitel.

We do enjoy getting the breakfast buffet at the 4-star Western hotels in China, and it generally makes no sense to eat this meal without it being included in a reasonable club-level package. I think the price of breakfast at the Hyland is particularly absurd.

And, btw, those street dumplings are pretty cheap. We went to a nearby branch of the famous Yang's dumplings, and 4 very large dumplings were 6 yuan.

goglobalnz Jan 8, 14 11:04 am

A quick update on our experience on Dec 23rd, 2013 as a paid stay as Accor Plat.

Checkin for elites is on the club floor, although there was no queue at lobby level and we waiting 5 or so minutes upstairs.
We were upgraded to a junior suite, which is nice enough but nothing special. 2 free small bottles of water were in the room, along with an insanely expensive bottle of evian available for purchase. We saw this in Vietnam and Dubai as well - crazy expensive evian. It's bizarre coming from the UK.

Club level snacks in the evening were nice. Cheeses/olives/breads/cured meats. Not enough to make a meal though. Good selection of wines too, although we just had a coke before going to the Circus.

Breakfast was good too - french influence showing in the pastries available. We had it in the lobby restaurant, although the club lounge was an option too we decided to take advantage of the better selection over the view.

The main problem, and reason I wouldn't stay again in the near future, is the deafening refurbishment works that were ongoing during our stay. They started around 930 and made the room uninhabitable during the day. Beware of this, it's really really bad!!

iahphx Jan 9, 14 5:05 am

Interesting report, goglobalnz. As you may know, the rules of the Accor program changed in the past year to include lounge access for plats. I just got these benefits (including evening drinks/snacks and free breakfast) on a cheap rate at a Pullman in Malaysia last week. It sounds like this Sofitel is also honoring this benefit. If confirmed, it would greatly improve the value equation for plats to book cheap rooms at this hotel. (And, as most folks know, it's often possible to get plat status in Accor through the special promo sign-ups).

goglobalnz Jan 9, 14 3:00 pm

I made the booking during one of the recent sales, classic room at 40% off with breakfast included. The room upgrade and invitation to club level came without prompting or any extra charge, so yeah if this is now standard procedure then booking a cheap room and taking the upgrade would be the way to go. (apart from the renovation noise - it was really really bad)

Since the changes to Accor's program I'd only stayed at Novotels in the UK, where I received welcome drinks but nothing more so this was a nice surprise

iahphx Jan 10, 14 9:50 am


Originally Posted by goglobalnz (Post 22120738)
I made the booking during one of the recent sales, classic room at 40% off with breakfast included. The room upgrade and invitation to club level came without prompting or any extra charge, so yeah if this is now standard procedure then booking a cheap room and taking the upgrade would be the way to go. (apart from the renovation noise - it was really really bad)

Since the changes to Accor's program I'd only stayed at Novotels in the UK, where I received welcome drinks but nothing more so this was a nice surprise

I'll have to pay more attention to this development because, as long as I can get Plat status for nothing from Accor, it makes their premium hotels more attractive for me.

On my recent trip to Asia, as a Hilton gold, I got free breakfast but no lounge access. As an SPG gold, I got basically nothing. As an Accor plat, I got lounge access and breakfast -- even though I did the least to "earn" that status! I always find I enjoy a 4 or 5 star hotel a lot more when there are perks thrown in, especially since buying food/services at such hotels (especially in Asia) is usually a rotten deal.

Christian K Mar 28, 14 4:46 am

Hello there!

I am considering staying at the Sofitel Hyland on an upcoming trip to Shanghai (the alternative would be Renaissance Yu Garden). Now a colleaque of mine who stayed at the Sofitel approximately 6 years ago warned me that the temperature in the room (even with AC on) was unbearable.

Can anyone confirm this?

Furthermore, is anyone aware of the current status of refurbishment? Will it have any influence on a stay mid-april this year in regards to noise?

I am planing to book a classic room and hope for an upgrade due to LeClub Platinum status.

Thanks for your help!

gilbertaue May 3, 15 8:28 pm

I didnt want to spam the Elite experience thread so I'm continuing here...

Zehbra:


Just for comparison: how big was your fruit basket? I felt like the 3 pieces of fruit actually looked more sad than just having nothing at all..
I got 3 macarons and 3 fruits. The macarons were alright (my wife makes them better). The fruits, yes, they were buried and resuscitated :D

RJ77:


I don't stay here anymore preferring other hotel chains when in Shanghai. Sofitel Hyland is below par hardware and service wise but its rates are reasonable for what is a prime location.
Location is still key for me. But like mentioned, I'm waiting for the Pullman to finally open. Keeps being postponed.

EDIT: Just noticed this thread is not even in the Accor section. Can actually be moved. (Done)

zehbra May 3, 15 10:46 pm

Smart move, maybe a mod can even merge the other comments from the elite experience thread?


Originally Posted by gilbertaue (Post 24760487)
I got 3 macarons and 3 fruits. The macarons were alright (my wife makes them better). The fruits, yes, they were buried and resuscitated :D

I've yet to come across a macaron in Asia that is better than home-made ones (not saying they don't exist thought...). Still always a nice sight when coming into a room!


Other experiences that I may or may not have mentioned in the other thread:

- basin in the bathroom was slightly blocked due to.. tea leaves. Was quickly fixed though.

- Upon check-in they charged my credit card with something I thought was just deposit, since my rate was fully prepaid.
I only noticed it after check-out and wrote to them about it. No written response but the money is back with me, so that's fine.

This just continues what people seem to report here in general: The hotel does a lot of things right, or at least fulfills basic expectations. However, it fails to live up to "Sofitel standards" in my opinion. Especially compared with other Sofitels in China/Asia.

Goldorak May 4, 15 12:17 am


Originally Posted by zehbra (Post 24760858)
This just continues what people seem to report here in general: The hotel does a lot of things right, or at least fulfills basic expectations. However, it fails to live up to "Sofitel standards" in my opinion. Especially compared with other Sofitels in China/Asia.

I fully agree with this summary and they have done a lot of progress those last years (staff training was a real issue there, unfortunately very frequent problem in China). But the location of this hotel is really unbeatable.

RJ77 May 4, 15 2:00 am


Originally Posted by gilbertaue (Post 24760487)
But like mentioned, I'm waiting for the Pullman to finally open. Keeps being postponed.

Which Pullman? The only Accor property that's in the pipeline is Sofitel JingAn which I'm not seeing it opening anytime soon due to its owner's financial issues. JingAn is a good alternative to the Hyland for those who's looking for alternative to the Nanjing E Rd.

moondog May 4, 15 2:33 am


Originally Posted by RJ77 (Post 24761220)
Which Pullman? The only Accor property that's in the pipeline is Sofitel JingAn which I'm not seeing it opening anytime soon due to its owner's financial issues. JingAn is a good alternative to the Hyland for those who's looking for alternative to the Nanjing E Rd.

I would say that Jing'an is MUCH nicer than NJ E. Rd.

gilbertaue May 4, 15 4:58 am


Originally Posted by RJ77 (Post 24761220)
Which Pullman? The only Accor property that's in the pipeline is Sofitel JingAn which I'm not seeing it opening anytime soon due to its owner's financial issues. JingAn is a good alternative to the Hyland for those who's looking for alternative to the Nanjing E Rd.

Absolutely right. Dont know why I was fixated on it being a Pullman. Maybe got that mixed up with the new Pullman SH South.... (has anybody stayed there)?

I stayed at the Sofitel Oriental with family one weekend two years ago too... had good fun there and the Club Lounge was really nice.

RJ77 May 4, 15 5:14 am


Originally Posted by moondog (Post 24761300)
Quote:





Originally Posted by RJ77


Which Pullman? The only Accor property that's in the pipeline is Sofitel JingAn which I'm not seeing it opening anytime soon due to its owner's financial issues. JingAn is a good alternative to the Hyland for those who's looking for alternative to the Nanjing E Rd.




I would say that Jing'an is MUCH nicer than NJ E. Rd.

I agree with you for regular visitors to Shanghai, NJ E gets blasé. I'm trying to get my bearing for this new property though. I know I could walk easily to the French Concession from the Hilton in JingAn. Not too sure about this.

moondog May 4, 15 9:47 am

@:-)

Originally Posted by RJ77 (Post 24761712)
I agree with you for regular visitors to Shanghai, NJ E gets blasé. I'm trying to get my bearing for this new property though. I know I could walk easily to the French Concession from the Hilton in JingAn. Not too sure about this.

It's an extra 10 minutes of walking time from there to xuhui (v. Hilton) and Beijing Rd is a far cry from Nanjing Rd in terms or glitz, but is still much better than the Nanjing Rd pedestrian street IMO. Honestly, all of jing'an is pretty nice these days. Even though I no longer live there, I'm in the area pretty much every day (most of our clients are still based there, and I continue to regard it as the best part of town...xuhui is also nice, but a tad too hipster for my tastes).

leejiangtu May 7, 15 12:37 am

good location with no swimming pool 4 stars hotel and the resturant is so poor! I am a local man and I think it's convenient for tourists to stay there though it's not a good hotel

gilbertaue May 7, 15 12:57 am


Originally Posted by leejiangtu (Post 24779052)
good location with no swimming pool 4 stars hotel and the resturant is so poor! I am a local man and I think it's convenient for tourists to stay there though it's not a good hotel

Welcome to FT leejiangtu. Thank you for the comment.
As a local person, have you stayed at the hotel before and can you share with us that experience?

leejiangtu May 8, 15 3:53 am


Originally Posted by gilbertaue (Post 24779076)
Welcome to FT leejiangtu. Thank you for the comment.
As a local person, have you stayed at the hotel before and can you share with us that experience?

I have not stayed at this hotel but many other accor hotels in SH like pullman south Grand Mercure center etc.
I have had buffet in this Sofitel Hyland for once and I won't do it again because the buffet in Pullman South is much better than that in Sofitel Hyland.
Concerning the buffet in Accor hotels, the Sunday brunch in Soiftel Oriental SH is very good but expensive.398 RMB net for one person with wine and beer. If you want champagne you have to pay 200 RMB for one person extra. Good news is that children are free of charge. It's maybe the best buffet I've found in SH.
Hope it helps you.

Ikaz Mar 16, 17 7:28 am

One night stay at the Sofitel Shanghai Hyland
 
Check In We had left our luggage at our previous hotel, and our passports were there, so when our walking/shopping trip took us near the Sofitel we went to the club lounge and asked if we could get our room keys to drop our shopping off, but they refused as I only had a copy of my passport. So we went to collect our IDs and only then were allowed to check-in. I understand this is the law, but would have appreciated being allowed to leave our shopping in the room.Once we returned with our paperwork, we checked-in in the club lounge, and were told that we received an upgrade to a suite, 2 drink vouchers and club access. Great! No waiting for the check-in and the staff was friendly. Room We had booked a superior room, but were given the room 1514 on the 15th floor, this is a Junior Suite.Junior suite at the sofitel Hyland. A desk on the right, a couch on the left and the bed in the back of the room.The hotel discribes this room as being 45m², but I find this very hard to believe, as you can see it isn't big.The floor plan, with our room on the top-left corner.The rooms offered a sleep menu, with different pillows, sleep amneties (mask, ear plugs...) but we didn't take noote of this, the bed was great and we slept really well.There was also 1 pair of slippers (and no bathrobe), but the slippers were really bad! Not the usual Sofitel ones that I have encountered, they were paper thin and not soft.There was no iron in the room either, but we were offered 1 free item of clothing pressed for free per stay (but by the time we needed to iron something we wouldn't have had time to wait for them to press it so didn't use the service) Bathroom The bathroom was almost the same lenth as the bedroom, with a WC in the first part, then a sink, then wash section, with a bathtub on one side and the shower on the other side.The bathroom amneties are advertised as being: LANVIN for the superior and club rooms, and either Lanvin or Hermes for the prestige suite.In our junior suite we received Essential Sofitel which were not great:The bathroom was not perfect either if you want to be picky, there were stains on the wall, the shower was leaking, the shelf with the shower liquids was loose so the small bottles kept falling and the sealant on the floor was also loose. (you can't see properly in this picture, but about 10-15cm of it was not fixed and moving around during the shower.Overall the bathroom was large, had enough (not great quality) amneties but was showing some traces of wear and tear. Location The hotel has an entrance on Nanjing Road East, a shopping street, so it can be a great location if that is what you are looking for. It is also less than 5 minutes from the Subway station Nanjing Road (East) if you take the correct exit (#4) and there are "direct" trains to people square (1 stop) Hongqiao airport (to the west) and Pudong airport (about 1 hour away by train, and you just need to transfer from the line 2 to the line 2 extention).We stayed here due to the central location. Amenities Here I will talk about the club lounge, some really good quality food and drinks, a nice service but not enough information about the offering.As the hotel offers club rooms first when you select a room here on the accor website, I guess that quite a lot of people book club rooms (maybe without noticing that they are more expensive) and therefore the club was always crowded.The lounge is split into 3 parts, one "library" with books, a couple of cumputers and was quiter during ou stay.A part with 2 groups of couches:And the main section that was larger and had the food and drinks offering.The main area, with a buffet table in the middle. The service in the lounge was great, it didn't seem to be self-serve drinks, they can serve everything for you except for juices in the morning (but you can go to the drinks part, and help yourself or ask to be served there).At check-in we were told that there would be happy hour and breakfast served in the lounge, and we also saw people getting afternoon tea but they didn't tell us about it for some reason.Lets start with the happy hour offering, they have a selection of drinks:5 options for red wine, including 1 chinese bottle4 options for white wine and some proseccoSome tea bags, and they also offer tea pots with different teasBeer and soft drinks, the beers were Corona, Heineken and Tsingtao.They also offer cocktails, but this isn't advertised, the waiter said that they have G&T and Margherita's, and more. When they were cleaning up I saw about 10 bottles of spirits (that came from the preparation area, so not the drinks area where I took the pictures above). Regarding the food offering, the buffet area is in the midle of the lounge, and here were the options:Cold cuts with some delicious smoked duck!Really nice cheeses!One of the best salmon's I have ever tasted (the gravelax(?) on the right)Some sauces and chrispsUnapealing hot optionsGreat Dim-sum and some fried noodlesBread and french butterThey also got some cakes out at 19:30 (the happy hour service started at 18:00) At the end of the service (20:00), the staff went around and fulled up everybodies drinks, which was a nice gesture. As you can see, we were impressed about the food offerings for this happy hour. Plenty for a meal (unfortunately we had a dinner date so couldn't even try everything). This is what was on offer for breakfast, when we arrived we were asked what hot drinks we would like, I got coffee that was served in a french press, and my partner got tea in a teapot. They also brought a basket of bread (with french baguette, a couple of croisants and pain au chocolat's) and some home made butter. It all tasted really good (the coffee was stong, but I like strong coffee so all good for me!)There was a menu to order hot food:Introduction of the breakfast menuCooked to order options. I went for the pancakes:They are nicely presented, but unfortunately they tasted watery... So I didn't apreaciate them that much.And the buffet options:Bread options (on top of the basked that they gave us). There are also a bunch of cakes next to the bread (not the greatest offering anyhow) but I dont seem to have a picture.Juices (they were not great) and an empty bottle of sparkling water (I am not sure if they change it but it was empty when we arrived)Hot optionsDumplings and cold cutsCheeses (not as good selection as during the evening) and saladFresh fruit. Missing in the pictures are the cakes/pastries (as said above they didn't offer the best selection) and the honey, there was a whole slab of a bee hive with the honey comb which I found really cool. Overall we were not as impressed with the breakfast offering than with the happy hour offering. Service Regarding the platinum benefits, we were granted:-Room upgrade to a corner room/junior suite-2 welcome drinks that we could use foor beer, wine and I think some spirits. The drink voucher stated that they had home brewed beer, so I asked for one but they said that they only had Tsingtao so I didn't bother using the voucher-Late check-out, I asked for 20:00 (and wouldn't have minded paying, but didn't explicitely state this), but they said it wasn't possible, so was granted 17:00-A welcome letter:-A decent welcome gift: Overall Overall, this is a decent 4 star offering in the center of Shanghai for a good night's sleep, not too expensive but not luxurious. There is no pool. The happy hour offering in the lounge was not the largest offering but was high quality. The platinum status is recognised but don't expect a personalised or attentive interation with the staff due to the high number of club guests.If we were to return to Shanghai on holiday we might return to the Sofitel Oriental Sheshan that is outside of town due to the overall experience that was just so much better (review to come, but I have just under 150 photos of the place to go through first).

Goldorak Mar 16, 17 5:49 pm

Thank you for this very nice review. This hotel is unbeatable for the location. I had the "same" room as you the last time I went there and it was just before the change of plat benefits, so I didn't have lounge access.

tris06 Mar 16, 17 8:09 pm

We decided against going to the Sofitel as it was only 4 stars. So we opted for the Pullman skyway which is not as good location wise but if they just renovated would be a really amazing hotel. Lounge was amazing being the old top floor penthouse. Anyway thanks for the review. Gives us food for thought the next time we go to Shanghai.

I think I would like to hear about the new Sofitel near the domestic airport.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:02 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.