FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Sofitel Shanghai Hyland [leaving Accor soon] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1021337-sofitel-shanghai-hyland-leaving-accor-soon.html)

PabloM Feb 4, 2019 1:51 pm

It’s at the Shanghai New International Expo Centre, think it’s on line 2 or 7

moondog Feb 4, 2019 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by PabloM (Post 30739117)
It’s at the Shanghai New International Expo Centre, think it’s on line 2 or 7

Got you; I was thinking of the expo center that hosted the 2010 Expo.

Wrt the new expo center:
1. You definitely don't want to stay over there unless you have nothing else to do other than business
2. Line 7 is marginally better than Line 2 because Huamu Rd Stn is closest
-but its route is a bit circuitous
3. The main issue here is that the Sofitel is not especially convenient to Line 2, and Line 7 is out of the question

ETA: Upon further thought, the Jing'an Shangrli La is my top pick for you because it is directly on top of Line 7 (e.g. you don't need to exit the building), and is a much nicer hotel than the Sofitel. Sure, the cost is a bit higher, but not by much in light of the fact that you won't need to waste time/money on taxis.

PabloM Feb 4, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks moondog, appreciate the insight. Is there an Accor Property you’d recommend? Prefer to stay Accor given my Plat status - nothing with others. Never been to Shanghai before, will have a day and a half to do some sightseeing.
Cheers

PabloM Feb 4, 2019 2:24 pm

The Sofitel is a 5 min walk from Line 2.

moondog Feb 4, 2019 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by PabloM (Post 30739216)
The Sofitel is a 5 min walk from Line 2.

Sadly, this isn't the case with People's Square. Let me think more about Accor options and PM you.

Maelstrom Feb 4, 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30739300)
Sadly, this isn't the case with People's Square. Let me think more about Accor options and PM you.

I don't understand what you mean. Isn't Nanjing E Rd an interchange station for lines 2 and 10 (albeit a long interchange)?

moondog Feb 4, 2019 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Maelstrom (Post 30739622)
I don't understand what you mean. Isn't Nanjing E Rd an interchange station for lines 2 and 10 (albeit a long interchange)?

You are correct that both 2 and 10 connect there, but Pablo doesn't need 10, and Renmin Square is a little closer to the Sofitel. I need to think a little more about this; I will PM him.

Goldorak Feb 5, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by PabloM (Post 30739200)
Thanks moondog, appreciate the insight. Is there an Accor Property you’d recommend? Prefer to stay Accor given my Plat status - nothing with others. Never been to Shanghai before, will have a day and a half to do some sightseeing.
Cheers

for sightseeing, Sofitel Hyland has an unbeatable location.

dcisneros Feb 5, 2019 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by PabloM (Post 30739200)
Cheers

You can consider Swissotel Shanghai. It is Jingan temple area, subway station is 1 min far by foot. Sofitel Hyland is not a good hotel.

moondog Feb 6, 2019 1:58 am

Originally Posted by dcisneros (Post 30744630)
You can consider Swissotel Shanghai. It is Jingan temple area, subway station is 1 min far by foot. Sofitel Hyland is not a good hotel.

I completely forgot about the Swissotel, but I agree it's a good pick for Pablo. Apart from being a categorically better hotel, the location is as good as it gets.

PabloM Feb 6, 2019 2:01 am

It looks like it’s a lot further away from SNIEC. Is it the case that it’s not?

moondog Feb 6, 2019 2:12 am

Originally Posted by PabloM (Post 30744997)
It looks like it’s a lot further away from SNIEC. Is it the case that it’s not?

I would not say it is much further away, but having the line 7 option is a big advantage. As I mentioned up thread line 7 is slower than line 2, but is generally less crowded, and huamu Rd Stn appears to be your best choice near the expo place. More importantly, the true jing'an is much more desirable than nanjing Road east.

PabloM Mar 2, 2019 4:19 am

Having now stayed at both the Swissotel Shanghai Grand and the Sofitel Shanghai Hyland, I would have to say that I prefer the Sofitel.

Pros of the Sofitel compared to Swissotel
  • Location, location, location. Right on the Nanjing East Pedestrian Street, there is so much around here, and the Bund is just down the road. It's about 100m from the train station that goes to both airports, so you can't go past location.
  • The executive lounge is better at the Sofitel than the Swissotel. Better food, drinks and service, as well as better atmosphere.
  • Wines were also much better in the Sofitel - choice of Reds being South African, French, Australian and Chinese.
  • It does feel friendlier - more French than Swiss.
  • Actually had a property room upgrade (see more on this below), welcome amenity and felt like I was a Plat here. No welcome amenity or real room upgrade at Swissotel (they upgraded me to a Club Level room - same type)
  • Cheaper than the Swissotel
Cons of the Sofitel compared to Swissotel
  • It's an old hotel in desperate need of a refurbishment. They advertise it as a 4 star hotel, and it's priced accordingly. It feels like a Sofitel from the 1990's (maybe the 1980's!!)
  • The gym etc is of lesser quality than the Swissotel which had multiple pools, as well as the gym, sauna, steam room (Sofitel still has all these except for the pool).
The only issue I've had so far at the Sofitel is that when I checked in, I was advised they had upgraded me to a Suite, from a Junior Suite. Only issue was that the windows were on the roof, and not in the walls. So it felt like I was in a prison cell. Thankfully they moved me to another room straight away!! So weird that they would have no windows for you to look out of.

PabloM Mar 2, 2019 4:21 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30739300)

Sofitel is actually a 2 min walk from East Nanjing Street subway - you don't need to go to People's Square to get the subway.

moondog Mar 2, 2019 6:07 am

Originally Posted by PabloM (Post 30838254)
Sofitel is actually a 2 min walk from East Nanjing Street subway - you don't need to go to People's Square to get the subway.

Yes, I checked this out after my first post on this subtopic.

In terms of location, I don't know many other people who would vote for nj East Road in favor of ja. The pedestrian street has no historical value, and is chalked full of hawkers. Of course the Bund is a must see, but it isn't difficult to get there from ja.