The Fairmont Olympic Hotel, Seattle

Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation

Originally Posted by csol47
It was the AC elite promotion, I'll never get the stays in though unfortunately by the 31'st, I'll be at Hiltons. (Not so much by choice).At any rate there's a promo code for the 3 stay deal somewhere on FT I'm pretty sure.
3 night stay is not a required for this deal - $123 through Jan 23:
http://www.spghotescapes.com/?IM=HP_SW_TXT_DAILYDI_EN
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:01 pm

I had a great 2 night stay there this week.

$139.00 GRGD rate, then used the online upgrade (upsell) offer for $30 to move to an Executive Suite.

The hotel remains as classy as ever - from the valet and doorman, to the front desk and restaurant, to housekeeping and turndown service.

Room was in great shape, spacious, with both an electric kettle to boil water for tea and a kuerig k cup coffee maker. I still like the Le Labo products... Robe and slippers...

Arrival amenity of cheese, crackers, apricots and candied walnuts.

Location is very good too, light rail to the airport if you'd like and fairly central to most of downtown.

Last edited by LarkSFO; Dec 21, 2013 at 12:09 pm
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Looking at staying 6 nights in Seattle at the Fairmont.

Have all the rooms been remodeled or do you still need to specify?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Been a while since this place has been reviewed, so I thought I'd add one for a recent stay.

The Washington state resident staycation rate includes breakfast for 2 and valet parking at no extra cost. I took the King Executive Suite upgrade for a few dollars more.

Pros:
Great location--easy to walk anywhere Downtown
Great brunch in Georgian
Quiet room, including AC
Friendly staff (check-in, valet, bellhop...everyone)
Nice in-room TVs
Free overnight shoe shines
Dog-friendly

Cons:
Room felt a bit dated
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:56 am

Fairmont SEATTLE (recent stay and questions)

Stayed in December, dont recall category of room, cant find that info on my Fairmont site member page.

It was a modest suite, sort of two rooms, bed in reset area and two tv's, both small and very low to the ground.

Had to have them move the bigger tv from living room to bedroom where I do all my watching.

Was surprised by how badly out of date everything was including the TV's.

I havent contacted them but assume no renovations done since then.

Anyone stay recently?

My ONLY requirement for a hotel room is that I can lay in bed, look straight ahead as if looking at my feet and see the TV without moving my head as in the position of the TV will be at the foot of the bed (it may be two feet from the foot of the bed or 20, but the angle is the issue).

That was not the case here, I managed to move tables and things and sort of get there.

I guess my questions would be any OTHER Seattle hotels people can recommend for me?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
As an alternative, I can highly recommend the Arctic Club. Maybe not so grandiose and do not let the Doubletree flag fool you, this is a legit 4*,4 diamond hotel with great service and a lot of charm. I'm there once a month and have never had a serious issue there.

It is a short walk from the Olympic.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by ptownca
As an alternative, I can highly recommend the Arctic Club. Maybe not so grandiose and do not let the Doubletree flag fool you, this is a legit 4*,4 diamond hotel with great service and a lot of charm. I'm there once a month and have never had a serious issue there.

It is a short walk from the Olympic.
Thanks, just compared and they are pricier than the Fairmont which is interesting.

I will keep it in mind, thanks
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by randys1
Thanks, just compared and they are pricier than the Fairmont which is interesting.

I will keep it in mind, thanks
Interesting, via my corporate booking tool, I've never found the Arctic Club more expensive, even in peak dates. However, given my experience there I insisted our travel department get us a direct contracted rate. No regrets.

The other comparable hotel in Seattle is the Sorennto. I've not been there, but I have rave reviews from road warriors.

For more info about the Arctic Club, my review: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23561878-post50.html
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by ptownca
Interesting, via my corporate booking tool, I've never found the Arctic Club more expensive, even in peak dates. However, given my experience there I insisted our travel department get us a direct contracted rate. No regrets.

The other comparable hotel in Seattle is the Sorennto. I've not been there, but I have rave reviews from road warriors.

For more info about the Arctic Club, my review: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23561878-post50.html
thanks, reserved Hotel 1000...family stayed before and liked it, same price range
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:38 am

Might stay here Sunday night. Any places to recommend to eat?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by FPmiles
Might stay here Sunday night. Any places to recommend to eat?
Check out Eater Seattle. The descriptions and recommendations on that website should help you find a place that will satisfy your nutritional needs.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Many charms, yet...

Just returned from a stay.

I found the level of service from individual staff to be excellent. The Olympic seems to have a number of career staff (a bartender mentioned 30+ years of service) and the property was previously under the Four Seasons flag.

I loved the bar - live piano, rich warm ambiance, friendly, very "old school" and accompanied by excellent service. A guest is made to feel welcome.

Overall, the soft product was excellent.

The Platinum amenity was a cheese plate with Carr's water crackers and some dried fruit.

Now the room - we had a corner suite. The double door opens to a main hallway, bedroom on the left, dressing area and main bathroom ahead, and living room, guest bathroom, and wet bar on the right.

The wet bar had a functioning fridge, pantry windows opening to the living room, sink, and doors to the living room and interior hallway.

The living room had a Murphy bed (!), a dining table for four, and a sofa and lounge chairs. The dressing area had a dresser and ottoman.

The bedroom had a large classic desk, with a really nice Fairmont branded leather desk pad, and a sofa and lounge chairs. A king bed also.

The room faced three sides of the building, and contained seven telephones and nine working windows.

The furniture upholstery, carpeting and drapery are vintage or vintage appearing - decades old floral designs.

It turns out those windows were essential because the room had a musty characteristic. Not tobacco, but more like a damp basement. There is no way we could have slept without fresh air. What do we call this? "Classic Hotel Syndrome"? It was the most negative aspect of the stay.

Next trip, I'm not sure if I would return, despite the many charms and appeals.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by FrenchLaundry
It turns out those windows were essential because the room had a musty characteristic. Not tobacco, but more like a damp basement. There is no way we could have slept without fresh air. What do we call this? "Classic Hotel Syndrome"? It was the most negative aspect of the stay.
I hope you mentioned this issue to somebody / a manager?

Did you ask to change rooms? Just fyi, in my 15 - 20 stays here, have never had an issue with any dampness / mustiness / bad smell issues in any room or suite.

As you say, the focus on customer service at this property is strong, so I believe, given the opportunity, they would have worked with you to correct this to your satisfaction.

I have not been here yet this year, but have a couple of stays planned in the next two months.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I hope you mentioned this issue to somebody / a manager?

Did you ask to change rooms? Just fyi, in my 15 - 20 stays here, have never had an issue with any dampness / mustiness / bad smell issues in any room or suite.

As you say, the focus on customer service at this property is strong, so I believe, given the opportunity, they would have worked with you to correct this to your satisfaction.

I have not been here yet this year, but have a couple of stays planned in the next two months.
I appreciate your comment. Good ideas. I'd put this situation this way - the water not running or a broken front door lock would have prompted me to immediately request a remedy / change of rooms. But I didn't feel as confident about flagging a more perceptual matter, especially in a context when I did feel well treated. You're correct that I probably should have. And I've probably accepted that many grand old hotels (thinking of the Chateau Laurier or the Mark Hopkins) typically have to some extent these sorts of environmental maintenance challenges.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:58 pm

Just had a spectacular stay here this week - I was wishing I could have stayed more than one night!

Checked in on line once I received the e-mail, let them know when I would be there. I took light rail from SEA to University, short walk up the hill to the entrance.

Give the doorman my name, he hands me my room key. Onto the elevator and up to my room. Although I had booked a room, I was upgraded to a small suite, with partial views of the water out the window. My Reebok (Fairmont Fit) gear was waiting for me. Arrival amenity was nice - dried cherries and apricots, candied pecans, and two of the best tasting 'granola' bars I have ever had. Decadent bars, with macadamias, pistachios, honey, and chocolate on the bottom side.

Boiling pot for tea, and Kuerig coffee maker, which I like. Le Labo, which I like. Nice towels, very comfortable bed and pillows.

I hosted somebody at Shuckers (part of the hotel, can room charge here) and we had an excellent dinner. Great mixed drinks, good bread, good raw oysters followed by the mixed seafood grill for dinner. They also have a nice wine selection.

Back up to the room - turn down service done right with the slippers out, bed made up, curtains drawn, basket for shoe shine left out, and of course, water!

Next morning used the gear at their really great gym. Indoor pool and hot tub look nice (did not use them this trip). Good amount of high quality workout equipment / machines / weights. The locker room is spa like. Great sauna, hot enough for me at 150 degrees F. Well stocked clean up area with all of the toiletries you need to get ready - including razors and shaving cream. Nice showers.

On line check out, and walk out the door.

All in all a really great stay, makes me want to come back. (Which I will try to do on my next Seattle trip!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.