The Fairmont Olympic Hotel, Seattle

Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Isn't it ironic that same room, 628, was the one I stayed in a few years back and agree the furnishings are a bit dated though unlike your stay the sofabed wasn't in working order during mine. Here's my brief FT review at the time:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12246417-post11.html
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: British Airways
<deleting out of date information>

Last edited by pancakex; Jan 17, 2022 at 11:32 pm Reason: <deleting out of date information>
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pancakex
Great writeup, NYBanker! I stayed here 2 nights in the past month (we just need one more night for my husband to get Premier so we can get certificates for an upcoming trip to Hawaii) and were really impressed with the rooms, the building, and the service!

During our first stay, I specifically requested a remodeled room, as I'd read that they're much nicer (and the same price!) and we got a very nice room on the corner of the building (5th floor?) The second time we stayed, I forgot to request a remodeled room, though they gave us a complimentary upgrade to an executive suite. We got an older room that in my opinion was a bit frayed around the edges and in need of an update. I called down to ask if there were any renovated rooms available and was offered one with no hassle at all. It was also an executive suite, but literally 2x larger and obviously much nicer since it was remodeled a few years ago, with the nice marble bathroom I was expecting, nicer linens, updated hardware (it's crazy how even small details like newer switch plates on the light switches and outlets can make a BIG difference!)

The manager even hustled upstairs to drop off our new keys! THAT is service. If you're staying here, make sure to request a remodeled room, otherwise you might be disappointed. But the service is top notch, and there's even a hotel car (really nice Jag) that can drive you around the downtown area if you've got somewhere to be and would rather not get a taxi or walk.
Sounds like great service.. a hotel I've been trying to get our itinerary to line up for a visit..

You can add to your permanent profile a request for renovated rooms..
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
You can add to your permanent profile a request for renovated rooms..
Definitely do this if you ever stay at the Fairmont San Jose...
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:59 am

Excellent one night stay here recently.

I dropped off some colleagues at the airport, and returned my rental car. A quick walk over to the Link / Light Rail station at Sea-Tac. After a short wait, about a 35 or 40 minute ride to University stop. Then about 1 1/2 blocks up University to the Fairmont.

I had checked in on line earlier, so just gave my name to the doorman and he handed me my keys. I like this service. Walk through the lobby to the elevator and up to my room. The lobby is decorated very nicely / christmasy. I would almost say that if I had small children and lived in Seattle, I would bring them here just to walk through the lobby and perhaps have some tea or lunch.

Excellent renovated corner room on the eleventh floor with a view of the Space Needle! Wow, what a nice room. It was a standard room (I think), but being on the eleventh floor and with the views I had, it was very special.

No chance to eat here or try room service.

Overall, a very nice property that I will not hesitate to stay in again. (and yes, I added 'renovated room at the Olympic' to my PC profile)

FYI:

Transportation Options to the Hotel

Link Light Rail
• Operated by Sound Transit, the Link Light Rail departs daily from SeaTac
Airport every 10 to 15 minutes. The closest stop to the Fairmont hotel
is located one block away in the Metro Tunnel on 3rd Ave. and University St. Cost is $2.50 each way. For details follow the link: http://www.soundtransit.org/x11204.xml

Shuttle Express Airporter Express Bus
• Shuttle Express serves all the major downtown hotels, it leaves the airport every 30 minutes and takes 40 minutes in normal traffic to reach the hotel. Please cross Sky Bridge 3 or 4 to the airport parking garage, go down to the 3rd floor. Shuttle Express curb check-in is located near the purple elevator banks. Returning to the airport, it leaves the hotel every 30 minutes and takes 40 minutes. Cost is $15 one-way, $25 round trip. Reservation is highly recommended at http://www.shuttleexpress.com/ Group: Fairmont. Walk-ups are welcome.

Taxi
• A taxi is faster, only 25 minutes in normal traffic; it’s a metered rate airport to hotel, so the cost varies, usually in the $40-50 range, and it’s a flat rate of $32 hotel to airport.

Private Town Car
• We can also reserve a town car for you at a cost of $94 airport to hotel (add $20 for international arrivals) and $87 hotel to airport.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Last edited by LarkSFO; Dec 6, 2011 at 10:14 am
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Had an excellent one night stay here after a cruise. We actually walked from the cruise terminal to the hotel, which was quite an uphill climb and I would not recommend it to most unless you are in good shape.

The hotel let us check in very early and we were upgraded to a nice executive suite on the 6th floor. Room was tastefully decorated and they left us a nice welcome note on the coffee table. The free internet for President's Club members worked flawlessly. I loved the fact that the gym gives out free bottled water and coffee. Unfortunately, there was a rude group of women doing pilates (or at least trying to) which prevented me from getting some weight lifting in. I must add that the patio outside the pool is rather nice and private as well.

We enjoyed happy hour in Shucker's, which was surprisingly good and the 1/2 price oysters from 3-5 were fabulous. Service was a bit slow as we were sitting on the patio and the waitress gave me the wrong check (she later realized it and made me sign a second receipt and told me she would cancel the first), but other than that we had a good meal.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
upgrades?

I read the entire thread, and saw many recommendations! It seems like its worthwhile making the trip to downtown? (we are in SEA for an overnight SEA-TAC stay)

What does the property offer by way of upgrades for FPP members?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I read the entire thread, and saw many recommendations! It seems like its worthwhile making the trip to downtown? (we are in SEA for an overnight SEA-TAC stay)

What does the property offer by way of upgrades for FPP members?
No automatic upgrades for Premier/Platinum members as you probably know.

A suite upgrade cert will get you an executive suite which is pretty nice, but more like a junior suite than a one-bedroom suite.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
No automatic upgrades for Premier/Platinum members as you probably know.

A suite upgrade cert will get you an executive suite which is pretty nice, but more like a junior suite than a one-bedroom suite.
Just stayed here this weekend. Really great property and excellent service. The Exec Suite was like a Junior Suite, but nice. For a one night stay look at booking through Amex FHR. Free breakfast (up to $56 worth) and $100 food/beverage credit even for a one night stay. The happy hour was a nice deal too and really stretched out that $100 credit.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Gold floor service coming to the Olympic

The 9th floor will be renovated later in the year.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cascadia
Good news, thanks...

Probably not in time for my August stay, but still good to hear.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cascadia
That's great news. I'll definitely use my extra visa gold upgrades here.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:20 pm

Exclamation review of stay-March 2013

Our stay this month did not live up to its advance billing..............
Parking is very expensive ($32) & off site. It is good to know that the 9th floor will soon be Entree Gold............currently it is rented offices, c/w a business ctr. & a very officious staff member (I tried to print b.p's. and when it didn't work, she claimed it was the fault of the AC WEB site!). Our room was comfortable, but they charge extra for anything they can! We asked about getting complimentary breakfast for a PLAT member, and the runaround we got was unbelievable! I felt the staff of the Fairmont Olympic Hotel really didn't care about us, and could not be bothered to go the extra mile!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Our stay this month did not live up to its advance billing..............
Parking is very expensive ($32) & off site. It is good to know that the 9th floor will soon be Entree Gold............currently it is rented offices, c/w a business ctr. & a very officious staff member (I tried to print b.p's. and when it didn't work, she claimed it was the fault of the AC WEB site!). Our room was comfortable, but they charge extra for anything they can! We asked about getting complimentary breakfast for a PLAT member, and the runaround we got was unbelievable! I felt the staff of the Fairmont Olympic Hotel really didn't care about us, and could not be bothered to go the extra mile!
Why would you expect complimentary breakfast?

Were you using your certificates? (If you were, I just have them take this off the bill at checkout. Some of the restaurants are not as prepared to handle the certificates as others...)

What did they charge extra for that you feel they should not have?

I have always used the valet at this property, and it has been painless.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:00 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Why would you expect complimentary breakfast?

Were you using your certificates? (If you were, I just have them take this off the bill at checkout. Some of the restaurants are not as prepared to handle the certificates as others...)

What did they charge extra for that you feel they should not have?

I have always used the valet at this property, and it has been painless.
Valet would be nice, IF I had $32 to throw away!!

FYI, I was batting 100 % on breakfast prior to my stay in SEA:
Fairmomt Royal York - comp'd breakfast
Fairmont Kea Lani - comp'd breakfast
(Where would you like me to go next?)

ps Funny you would have an issue with this..........let us know when you are denied a UA upgrade for the first time!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.