Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Royal York

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Yes, there are both renovated and unrenovated suites. The renovated rooms and suites all have a "Luxury" in their room descpription (e.g. "Luxury King Bedroom Suite").

Unless something has changed recently, a suite upgrade cert will get you one of the older, unrenovated suites (which are still quite nice, and exremely spacious, in my opinion).
Got it, thanks. Yes, I've stayed in the older spacious suites before and liked them, though I am interested in test driving the renovated ones (at some point in the future).
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just stayed in a renovated double queen room. Overall it was very nice. Bit surprising to me that they actually still had a minibar that's stocked compared to most hotels who have just removed it entirely. I was looking for a plug to charge my phone on the bed stand and only noticed it was on one side facing one bed. The plugs were pretty loose already which is surprising -- no USB either. Bathroom was quite nice though.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Cerberus
Just stayed in a renovated double queen room. Overall it was very nice. Bit surprising to me that they actually still had a minibar that's stocked compared to most hotels who have just removed it entirely. I was looking for a plug to charge my phone on the bed stand and only noticed it was on one side facing one bed. The plugs were pretty loose already which is surprising -- no USB either. Bathroom was quite nice though.
I've never been to a Fairmont without a fully stocked mini bar and I'm surprised as every renovated room I've been to in N.A has had lots of plugs as well as USB ports near the bed.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by ptownca
I've never been to a Fairmont without a fully stocked mini bar and I'm surprised as every renovated room I've been to in N.A has had lots of plugs as well as USB ports near the bed.
More often lately, I've been seeing the mini fridges stocked with complimentary water bottles (and a bit of empty space to store our own items) rather than items for sale, which suits me just fine.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Have all of the rooms and suites finally been renovated here?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Have all of the rooms and suites finally been renovated here?
Since the hotel is still offfering "Fairmont rooms" and "Fairmont Luxury rooms" ("Luxury" behind any given room/suite category indicating that it has been renovated), I'd assume the answer is no.

The renovations are a multi-year long project and when I was there last year somewhere around half the rooms had been renovated IIRC.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
this hotel has a "scam" charge or marketing fee. make sure when you check out you ask for the charge to be removed its not a legal charge.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:32 pm

I have a couple of dinning credits certs...can I use those for bkfast at this location?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by flybit
this hotel has a "scam" charge or marketing fee. make sure when you check out you ask for the charge to be removed its not a legal charge.
Is this charge still appearing on invoices? What is it listed as on the bill? Marketing fee? Anyone know how the buffet breakfast is recently?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Is this charge still appearing on invoices? What is it listed as on the bill? Marketing fee? Anyone know how the buffet breakfast is recently?
I'm not seeing anything on Royal York bills other than correct fees. This is from a stay in April 2018.

The Municipal Accomodation Tax is 4% of the room rate. It's charged by all hotels within the City of Toronto, and BnBs too. Any stay of under 30 days.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I'm not seeing anything on Royal York bills other than correct fees. This is from a stay in April 2018.

The Municipal Accomodation Tax is 4% of the room rate. It's charged by all hotels within the City of Toronto, and BnBs too. Any stay of under 30 days.
Interesting. On my most recent invoices from 2016 and 2017 there's a "DMP fee" (equal to 4% of the room rate).

I don't pay too much attention to ON politics, but it seems like hotels used to charge a 4% destination marketing fee, which has been replaced with a 4% municipal accommodation tax?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Interesting. On my most recent invoices from 2016 and 2017 there's a "DMP fee" (equal to 4% of the room rate).

I don't pay too much attention to ON politics, but it seems like hotels used to charge a 4% destination marketing fee, which has been replaced with a 4% municipal accommodation tax?
It came into effect in April officially. Hotels were previously required to pay 4% into the Toronto tourism pot, but as of April, they are required to invoice it to visitors. Many hotels used to charge the amount separately so it was visible to guests on their bills, and some just baked it into the rate. Now it's mandated to be charged separately.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-tax-1.4513522
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Just completed a one-night stay and, well, the property continues to get mixed reviews from me.

Pros:
- ended up in a small Luxury cornerish room with a view of CN Tower and Union Station, that was reasonably quiet
- bags were moved while away from my original room (that was a random middle of hallway room with an adjoining door with a family with screaming kids)

Cons:
- check-in slow as usual on the Priority Line, with a room key exchange taking 45 mins
- no one staffing the regular front desk at 945 pm and a lone person on the Priority Desk with a line of 15ish people from a cancelled Porter flight
- bellmen useless, especially when it comes to the temporary lobby where stairs are the only reasonable option, and lugging bags up and down
- no welcome amenity in room
- no turndown
- no bottled water
- fitted bedsheets continue to look all crumpled like mine did in college after rolled up into a ball and left in the dryer for a day or two
- late check-out not offered/not honoured until second call
- DND sign ignored by housekeeping, who were knocking multiple times at 1255 pm (late checkout eventually offered until 5 pm, but I only needed 3 pm on this stay)

So to those FTers who are loyal to Fairmont still, is this property getting worse for Plats?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Le Accor and Marriott
This hotel is definitely getting worse. I've stayed at the Fairmont Royal York for about 60 days this year (I'm a Platinum member). I always have to ask for my room amenity, Fairmont fit, and bottled water service. The room welcome amenity for Gold and Platinum tends to be a bottle of water and a small packaged item (ie. one small cube of chocolate, couple of pieces of shortbread). The difference between the Fairmont Luxury Room and normal Fairmont room is a not worth it; I was never upgraded to a Deluxe Room. In addition, the Le Accor reward points can only be used while staying on a property. The reward points cannot be used if you'd like to come in just for lunch or dinner, even though I called in 3-4 times to confirm. Ended up having to suck it up and paying the cost of the meal while I wanted to use my rewards points. Overall, I do not recommend Fairmont and Le Accor.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:28 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ConsultCanada
In addition, the Le Accor reward points can only be used while staying on a property. The reward points cannot be used if you'd like to come in just for lunch or dinner, even though I called in 3-4 times to confirm.
This has not been a benefit at any AccorHotels property - ever. I wonder what makes you think that this was possible.

What they ARE working on for now, starting at some properties in France, is that you can earn points while dining only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.