Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Accor/ ALL: experiences with best price guarantee

Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gdoubleu
Sections in this WikiPost
Last Revision Date: November 29th 2023

Updates
  • 20231129 Update: The BPG form now has a checklist for your to ensure you have cross checked information.
  • 20231110 Update:
    - Looks like Accor Customer Service has rolled out a more "hands off" posture to making sure BPG's (when approved) are reflected. The language is now like: "The BPG was approved, the follow up with the hotel, contact..."
    - Properties in Macau are not part of the BPG program anymore

Introduction
Welcome to Accor's Best Price Guarantee ("BPG") policy, one of the industry's most generous price matching and discount policies!

I have had dozens of Accor bookings price-matched successfully across many brands, and of course a few of them being denied. I wanted to write about my experience as it could be quite frustrating and time consuming to get it right, read on!

What is the Accor BPG?
The Accor BPG allows you:
- to have your Accor.com rate price matched after sighting of a cheaper rate on a third-party website
- AND to receive either a 10 or 25% discount on the third-party rate (see Discount Rate)
All of that under certain conditions.

You can read the full Accor BPG terms in English at: https://all.accor.com/information/be...tions.en.shtml

Brands Eligible for the BPG

Per Article 2 of the BPG:
"The hotels covered by “Best Price Guarantee” are as follows:

All hotels in the Accor Group (Fairmont, Raffles, Swissôtel, Sofitel, So Sofitel, Sofitel Legend, Pullman, MGallery, Mövenpick, Grand Mercure, The Sebel, Novotel, Novotel Suites, Mercure, Adagio, Adagio Access, Jo&Joe, Ibis, Ibis Styles, Ibis budget, HotelF1, hôtels Orbis, 21C Museum Hotel, Orient Express), and hotels of certain partners (i.e. Mama Shelter, Hypark by Adagio)"

The following are not eligible for "Best Price Guarantee": 25Hours, Angsana, ArtSeries, BanyanTree, BreakFree, Cassia, Delano, Dhawa, Elan, Greet, Hanting, Hi inn, Hyde, Ji, Mantis, Mantra, Manxin, Mondrian, Onefinestay, PepperS, Rixos, Sbe, SLS, Starway, The House Of Originals, Tribe.

“Best Price Guarantee” does not apply to hotels in the Macao special administrative region."

Note that Banyan Tree maintains its own 20% price matching guarantee that's available at https://www.banyantree.com/best-price-guarantee
Learn more on the Banyan Tree Price matching at Banyan Tree Best Price Guarantee

Discount Rate
The discount rate is 25% for all properties included in the Brand Eligibible, except for Fairmont, Raffles and Swissôtel, which attract a 10% discount.

Data Points: third-Party Sites known to work for the BPG

I had claims approved for the following sites:

BPG 101

For your BPG claim to be accepted, the BPG Article 1.1 states that matched property on the third-party site needs to be "for the same hotel, for the same date(s), the same length of stay, at the same rate conditions (i.e. refundable or non-refundable, prepayment and deposit requirements, room only or with breakfast included, booking cancellation and change condition), the same type of room (identical category, size, beds, view or location) and the same number of people in the room"

Accor's Customer Service pays great attention to the conditions attached to your third-party booking, down the to the actual time (not just only the date) of the cancellation policy (e.g.: your claim may not be approved if the cancellation policy says September 28th, 18:00 on Accor.com and September 28th, 17:59 on the third-party website). Occupancy is also often overlooked. Even if for some region, the occupancy on your booking does not impact the room pricing, the occupancy needs to match, in writing, between your Accor.com booking and your third-party price.

BPG Process

To lodge a claim, you need to submit screenshots of a third-party booking site, that has the same room for the same dates (and other conditions, see BPG 101), at a lower price. These screenshots will need to who clearly the URL of the third-party site, as well as the time when they were taken. There is a 24-hour grace period between your Accor.com booking and the sighting of the cheaper rate on the third-party website.

Once submitted, your claim has a claim number (which is just a Customer Service ticket number), which you receive by email. Accor Customer Service then follows up to let you know of the status of your claim. There is no guaranteed time as to when Customer Service is due to get back to you.

If your claim is approved, Customer Service generally lets you know. They inform you they have requested the price-matched property to update your booking rate. Once the property does that, you receive an email with the subject: "Modification of your reservation <Name of Property> <Booking ID>" with the details of the new rate.

The application of the new rate usually follows the following rules:
  • The discount (either 10 or 25%, see Discount Rate) is applied on the "naked room rate", that is the rate free of government taxes, resort fee, "taxe de sejour", etc... Taxes are then applied on the discounted rate per the tax requirements in each country/region/location.
  • After applying the discount on your booking rate, the Property usually linearize the rate over the days on your booking so that the same rate will apply to all the nights in your stay even if the rate fluctuated in your original booking.

Q&A
  • Can I use the BPG if I have an Accor traveler card (e.g.: ALL PLUS Voyageur)? The BPG applies to ALL PLUS Voyageur Card holders, provided the third-party rate complies with the BPG requirements (See BPG 101). Given the discounts you may already benefit from with ALL PLUS, the chance of finding a third-party rate is slimmer, but not nonexistent. It may make economic sense to submit a BPG claim using "just" the Accor member rate.
  • Until when can I submit a BPG Claim? Per Article 4.2, "requests must be submitted within 24 hours following confirmation of the Eligible Booking [Accor.com booking] and no later than 48 hours before the planned arrival at the hotel.". "48 hours" here means that you can lodge a claim until 23:59 two days before your check-in date.
  • What happens if my BPG Claim is not processed prior to my stay starting? Should you have lodged on time and your BPG came to be approved after your stay has started, Customer Service will be in touch to organize a refund via the Property where you stayed (and paid full price)
  • What can I do if my claim is not answered within 2 weeks? You can:
    • Resubmit the same claim mentioning the Claim # of the original claim with the original documents
    • Send an email to [email protected] or [email protected] – they will sometimes create a new claim on your behalf or influence the original one
    • Send an email to [email protected] – Since 2023, these are the folks that Customer Service escalates claims to
  • I can't lodge a BPG Claim, my browser show a red banner when I submit one, what should I do? Lodge your BPG again in an Incognito or private browser window, that will fix it.
  • What if my claim isn't responded to by the time I check out? This is last resort, but I advise you lodge a chargeback with your credit card company. I had success doing that.

Beware: Accor Customer Service
I encountered countless time when Customer Service was negligent when process BPG claims:
- Rates from the third-party website are misread ("naked room rate" vs total amount, currency...)
- Customer Service tends to apply a blanket 10% discount on bookings (ignoring that most brands attract a 25% discount)

Some other times, the property would play some tactics:
- I had one property tell me that I could have booked a cheaper rate on Accor.com (but that was still higher than the third-party rate), effectively reneging the application of the BPG Claim (I did not push further).
- I had one property crediting a rate difference post-checkout via Accor points.

Tips & Tricks
  • If a claim has not been answered promptly (within 7 days), Accor Customer Service sometimes issues 2,000 Reward points. I keep asking every time this happens, and this is not always granted, but you can try.
  • If you have an Accor Traveler Card (e.g.: ALL PLUS Voyageur), to increase your chances of finding a lower rate, you can book the regular Accor member rate on Accor.com by signing out from your Accor account on the room selection page. The booking will still be attached to your Accor.com account (same email) AND you will receive the benefits attached to your status.
  • For your screenshots, make sure that a time shows. I always make sure that time shows in the menu bar of my OS, along with the timezone.
  • Using Skyscanner.com has greatly reduced the time for me to do searches.
  • I was able to get a BPG claim approved for a rate showing as "Complimentary Breakfast on Weekends" which is provided by the Accor status, but could be ground for rejection.

BPG Claim Sweet Spots
There are several brand sweet spots for BPG claim should you want to optimize, they all receive a 25% discount over your third-party sighting:
  • Sofitel
  • So Sofitel
  • Pullman

Common Pitfalls
I am able to reach a 95% success rate with my BPG, and this is my checklist:
  • Room type: are the room types strictly equivalent? Beware of the small variation in room type names (like street view, vs park view). Twin beds room or King bed room are two different types in the eyes of the BPG
  • Room rate: the room rate, that is the price of your booking exclusive of any government/local/resort taxes needs is what gets compared for the claim. Accor sometimes calculates taxes differently from third-parties (go figure!) and third-parties are also sometimes not including some taxes into the displayed price.
  • Occupancy: when you make a booking on Accor.com, you specify an occupancy (i.e.: the number of people who will stay in the room). That occupancy needs to show the same amount of adults on the third-party sighting.
  • Booking currency: make sure you are comparing stays with the same currencies. I submitted USD vs AUD (Australia Dollar) claims by mistake, leading to rejection.
  • Cancellation Policy Penalty: for when you compare cancellable bookings, the Accor BPG will apply all the way to the penalty. If Accor.com says the penalty for cancelling after a certain day/time is 1 night, the 3rd-party needs to have the same penalty.

Things I have not tried
  • Submitting a BPG for a Suite Night ("SN") booking

Banyan Tree Best Price Guarantee
Banyan Tree properties is not included into Accor's Best Price Guarantee, that means you cannot submit a claim for a BPG from Accor.com, following you booking a Banyan Tree property on accor.com. That being said, Banyan Tree has its own BPG for when you book on banyantree.com. There are few caveats though:
  • Banyan Tree BPG policy starts as soon as you find a lower rate (same room, same cancellation policy...). That means findings a rate that's lower by just $1 (or the local currency equivalent) will trigger the policy
  • Banyan Tree, when applying the policy, will shave off 20% off your rate, but will wave all Accor benefits should you be in an Accor tier. They may or may not let you know. You will also not be allows to earn/burn points from when the policy is applied.
Print Wikipost

Accor/ ALL: experiences with best price guarantee

Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
That's why I won't bother to look BRG with Accor, as I will get 10% discount anyway.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: Accor Plus Plat, Marriot Plat, AF Silver
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
they "called" you? That's odd. I would follow up hard with them and ask them to refer to their own T&Cs and tell you where it mentions anything about "associated with Accorhotels".
Yes, Sofitel Melbourne called me directly to tell me that.

I replied that the "affiliation" was mentioned nowhere in the T&Cs and she replied with a very disappointing "I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do."

So, T&Cs are meaningless for local hotel management. Not very good.

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
To me this is a game; and I don't mind wasting my time on this - typically to teach them a lesson.
But it is to them too (unfortunately). And they certainly hope you give up quickly.
I -- a little selfishly -- escalated to direct contacts inside Accor APAC for further clarification and... tada! BRG was granted.

Now for the finer details:
  • Prestigia seems to be reselling rates packaged with flights, as hotel only, having sourced it from one of the "affiliates" of the hotel who sold bought room rates in bulk before.
  • This is was Sofitel meant by "not affiliated" as in "not a direct buyer of rooms with us".
  • However, the T&Cs do not mention that these rates are invalid or that direct affiliation are required and therefore...
  • The BRG is valid and was accepted.

I don't know if it will be updated on ACCOR website, if the booking will be reissued or if the discount is applied when checking in/out.

We will see...

Julien
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by generikz
I don't know if it will be updated on ACCOR website, if the booking will be reissued or if the discount is applied when checking in/out.
It came as an email from the hotel management confirming the new rate but also making a note that my online prepaid booking (using some points as well) can't be modified. The price will be adjusted directly at the hotel.

They also mention that they won't accept further BRGs from prestigia.com from me in the future (they should update their T&Cs...).

Hotel Name: Sofitel Merbourne
Arrival Date : 11/4/2016
Departure Date : 11/6/2016
Number of Adults : 2
Number of Rooms : 1
Room Type: Classic Room, King Size Bed, Citi Views
Rate On Reservation : AUD 573.75 (including tax)
Competing Website : PRESTIGIA.COM
Competing rate : AUD 539.33 (including tax)
Actual confirmed rate: AUD 480

The refund of $93.75 will be processed to your credit card on check out if not used towards any incidentals accrued at the Hotel.
That sounds quite reasonable.

Can't wait to try the executive lounge (now opened to Plat members)

Julien
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:38 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC

Can't wait to try the executive lounge (now opened to Plat members)

Julien
It's tip top. I was there for a week in March.
Try to local yoghurt during breakfast.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:14 am

Seems to have worked for me…

Dear Mr CyBeR,

First of all, we thank you to have chosen our Adagio La Défense Esplanade for your stay in La Defense.
We are pleased to confirm your reservation in a double room.
After verifying the information you provided, I confirm that we will apply the stated rate you found on hoteltravel.com with a further reduction of 10%.
The rate I booked at was the standard non-refundable pre-paid club members rate.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:06 am

Just submitted a claim for Sofitel Sentosa with Prestigia and realised there is one sentence in the room rate after my reservation

Room Type LUXURY ROOM, 1 King Size Bed; Room Rate: Indulgent Escape - All-day Happy Hours Inclusive!
And this "Indulgent Escape - All-day Happy Hours Inclusive!" is not included in the Prestigia's site...
And when I further check, there is something listed like this:
Package Inclusions: Valid for Le Club AccorHotels member; Inclusive MyResorts benefits; MyGlass per adult and MyKids per child booked

Otherwise every other condition is the same...
Do you think they will accept my claim?
This is not refundable, arghhhh!!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:41 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nickchanz
Just submitted a claim for Sofitel Sentosa with Prestigia and realised there is one sentence in the room rate after my reservation

Room Type LUXURY ROOM, 1 King Size Bed; Room Rate: Indulgent Escape - All-day Happy Hours Inclusive!
And this "Indulgent Escape - All-day Happy Hours Inclusive!" is not included in the Prestigia's site...
And when I further check, there is something listed like this:
Package Inclusions: Valid for Le Club AccorHotels member; Inclusive MyResorts benefits; MyGlass per adult and MyKids per child booked

Otherwise every other condition is the same...
Do you think they will accept my claim?
This is not refundable, arghhhh!!
You'll need to wait and see. I hope the difference was worth it as

"Package Inclusions: Valid for Le Club AccorHotels member; Inclusive MyResorts benefits; MyGlass per adult and MyKids per child booked"

means that you'll have free flow of soft drinks all day. (if you have a child it's some free kids meals too)
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:59 am

Dang it, they didn't even reply me.
Do we get a confirmation email after we submit a claim?
I dun even hv a email which say i hv submit a claim.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 3:13 pm

In the past i send brg claim directly to the hotel after i submitted online.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
Did anyone do a BPG in China? with a Grand Mercure? How long until they responded?
I booked and immediatly submitted a BPG claim 8 days ago, so far no response... dunno if this is normal
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:12 pm

Trying another round because the "Exclusive rate" is really kind of a joke

Prague MGallery - Classic Room with 1 double bed - 2 nights - Breakfast - Refundable

Accor "exclusive member rate" = 252 EUR
Happyrooms.com = 153 EUR
Getaroom.com = 160 EUR

A match at 153 would give 138 EUR or 45% discount.

Julien
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I found a price that was $20 lower on agoda so I filed a BRG about 3.5 days before my stay. I never heard anything, so I asked at check-in. They got back to me later that day and claimed that they never received the BRG claim from the Accor website. They said that they therefore couldn't do anything, but I could call Accor customer service. So I did that and they opened a case. Four days later I got an email from the hotel revenue manager saying that the competing price was due to a "system update error". Not sure what that means, exactly. In any case, I wasn't offered a refund. They mentioned upgrade and breakfast on my next stay, perhaps not realizing that I get that anyway as a platinum member at this hotel.

Basically, Accor doesn't even need to disapprove your claim. They can just ignore it.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
I've just hit a new problem - can't submit the BPG because the hotel name dropdown is empty! When I pick "Sofitel" as the brand, then enter "Berlin" in the city field and select "Berlin - Germany", a little spinner shows briefly then the dropdown list is empty. Some of the other brands work for Berlin, but most don't...
I had the same problem with Firefox (not with Chrome) and found out that they are using deprecated and insecure ways to query their properties database (cross-domain queries) that are now rejected by Firefox. jQuery 1.7.2 for javascript backend isn't exactly super fresh either (May 2012):

Code:
window.controllers is deprecated. Do not use it for UA detection.general.js:7:7
Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user’s experience. For more help http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/jquery-1.7.2-min-ah.js:6:17595
Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated.  Use defaultPrevented instead.jquery-1.7.2-min-ah.js:5:7108
Short version: website is technically obsolete.

Julien
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
So, a follow-up to my BPG claim in china:

Hotel Name: Grand Mercure Beijing Central
No of nights: 3
Room Type: Superior room with Breakfast (semiflexible)
Rate On Reservation : 1827 CNY (about 247 EUR) (including tax)
Competing Website : Booking.com
Competing rate : 1614 CNY (about 218 EUR) (including tax)
Actual confirmed rate: 1453 CNY (about 197 EUR) (including tax)

Getting it was little harder... after 12 days of no response, I emailed Accor CS about it, 24 hours later i finally get an email from the hotel, that they accept the BPG claim and offer me the booking.com rate + taxes and service charge (+16%)
After me replying that I say that the booking.com rate is inclusive of all these charges and that they are missing the 10% off, they reply that ok, final price is 1614 (original booking.com rate), again i reply, that they are still missing the promised 10% discount. After that I received the 3rd email where they state I am right, and they will honor 1453 CNY...

All in all, Waited 13 days, had to fight for it a little... but worked out well ^^^
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:34 am

Trying another round because the "Exclusive rate" is really kind of a joke

Prague MGallery - Classic Room with 1 double bed - 2 nights - Breakfast - Refundable

Accor "exclusive member rate" = 252 EUR
Happyrooms.com = 153 EUR
Getaroom.com = 160 EUR

A match at 153 would give 138 EUR or 45% discount.
No answer from Accor BRG, I forwarded the request straight to the hotel and the answer is, as usual with Accor, abysmal:

I have to inform you that we have no contract with web providers, which you founded. There is no guarantee that we received reservation from them and if so that it will be for hotel which you choosed.
So again, there is a secret, unpublished list of re-sellers for which they will entertain BRGs and it's your guess as to which one is included since the T&Cs mention nothing about that.

Took me a while to decode their English.

ACCOR should either stop waiving a ghost BRG service or decide to grow up to become Starwood and actually apply their own T&Cs.

Since no points/$ are counting towards status until January 1st 2017 for me, I'm tempted to book the vastly cheaper rate and ask Accor QH to explain how inapt they can be at this.

Julien

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.