Wiki Posts
Search

The car rental folks have been heard!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 1998, 2:08 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

The car rental folks have been heard!!

Michael Elmore, the Webmaster for FLyertalk wrote me tuesday apologizing for not responding sooner to my e-mail and saying he
will work to get a car rental forum added
to FlyerTalk!!!

I feel good! I was able to join with several
of you guys and accomplish something. This is
my way to repay for the tips and the humor!

Enjoy the forum!!! CATMAN
Old Sep 22, 1998, 3:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
CATmAN: we will open/drink the champagne to celebrate at the Pierre (next august).
Old Sep 22, 1998, 4:44 pm
Original Member

I believe I will open and drink my champagne
now. Too bad Catman, I will think of you with every bend of the elbow.
Old Sep 22, 1998, 10:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 2 Million Mile Flyer, LifeTime Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Thx CATMAN.I can't wait for the car rental forum.
Old Sep 23, 1998, 8:42 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I just had the displeasure of researching a rental car for a trip to Denver I need to take next month. After NYC, I think this is the most expensive city I have ever rented a car from in the US. (Dublin, Ireland was the absolute most expensive anywhere for me)

The best rate I found for a larger vehicle was an SUV (Ford Explorer) from Alamo for $39.99/day through their online booking and promotion. Not a bad deal considering it was $54.99/day before the discount.
Old Oct 5, 1998, 7:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
How about all those car rental coupons you get with your frequent flyer statements and
elsewhere? They're virtually worthless!!
Once the reservation agent gives me the rate on a car, I ask if I can use a coupon for 15% off or whatever. But of course, it's 15%
off the full sucker rate that I supposedly am
already getting a discount on. So the coupon is no good.

Of course, upgrade coupons are no good either since you can't combine them with any other offer. (ie. the discount I supposedly am already getting.)

At least they seem to have eased off as far as shoving insurance down our throats.

Neal
Old Oct 5, 1998, 10:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
It would be useful if the car rental forum could contain a list of all airline/hotel FF program discount numbers to use with the various rental companies. Most every major airline and hotel program has discount numbers with the major car agencies. I have found some enormous differences in the discounts available. For instance, most airlines provide a lousy 5% off rates with Avis. However, Delta is 15% off before use of any coupons. My AAA card gets me 15% at Hertz; most airlines are 5%-10%. Also, depending on where you are renting from and your company, I have found instances where a discounted leisure rate is much better than a negotiated corporate rate. This was definetly a surprise.
Old Oct 5, 1998, 12:26 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
MileKing ~ I was just thinking that would be nice if someone did that. For my past few rentals I've used the Delta Medallion at Hertz number which gets me a 5% discount *and* a two car class upgrade on weekends, so my last rental for instance I got a Ford Crown Vic for $27/day or so (on a weekend).

Theoretically you're supposed to be a Delta Medallion member to use the number of course, but I don't think they can really check that ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.