Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Just a little warning folks . . . . .

Just a little warning folks . . . . .

Old Aug 10, 2000, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Perhaps I'm missing the point here or am a little dense (wouldn't be the first time), but the fact that the Starwood people would take the time to personally respond to a posting, inquiry, complaint or any other correspondence on this site--I would (IMHO) view as FANTASTIC! Ozstamps, are we perhaps being a bit overly paranoid here???
I have had numerous people contact me 'internally' via my e mail address from FT, both contributors and hotels. I must tell you I feel honored when I receive those messages.
Old Aug 10, 2000, 12:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
INFORMATION

Where we went to school, occupation
How we made up our userName

NEXT

Where we are going and when (flt #'s and all)
Who might be meeting who at where and when

Lots of data, but to what use. A few people have suggested they were....but when you check out their education...well....
Old Aug 11, 2000, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
There is IMHO far too much easily available info on private individuals on the web/

If any of you care to go to the AOL White pages at:
http://www.aol.com/netfind/whitepages.adp

and type your name and town in, it will of course in most instances give your street address and phone and fax, and email etc.

Displayed on TOP of that info in every case I have accessed it, you can choose to click onto this banner link below that lets you check on your own (or of course anyone else's):

Criminal Record
DMV Record,
Background Checks
Credit Report
http://www.spyheadquarters.com/aff/813/

I personally do not agree that such data should be easily available via perfectly legitimate on-line directories such as AOL, but they ARE and I was just pointing out this fact, as many do not realise this stuff is out there, and readily obtainable. All you need is a town/suburb location and a name, especially with middle initial, and you are almost there.

I have never used that service, and have never had need to, and certainly was not implying anything whatever re Freeflyer or anyone else, for their reasons to stay "private". It was just just his posting on this very thread saying he wanted to stay private did NOT seem to be doing that, given the capability on these search engines, and I guess that is a warning to us all.

MAULD .... I agree with you. I was not being paranoid at all .... simply demonstrating that some caution might be useful for some posters on these boards. As mentioned above, if I were an airline there are things I've seen posted that would justify having some individuals points/membership rights revoked. The person/s posting in those cases clearly had no expectation that threads are sometimes closely monitored by the same people they are bragging about "conning"!

Yes, I appreciated the explanatory email from Starwood. I got another e-mail this morning from a reporter from the Wall Street Journal seeking an OK to print something I posted on another thread. As you say, this kind of thing is not uncommon. CAUTION in what is posted re rules, loopholes etc is all I was even trying to bring attention to!

Passing on of info is what we are all here on this board for I guess. Just that some limits and common sense at times might be wise to be observed.

Old Aug 11, 2000, 2:08 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
http://www.aol.com/netfind/whitepages.adp
Sorry, no matches were found.
for RUDI MARTEL I am sooooooo disappointed©® (but there is no country-choice Switzerland).
http://www.spyheadquarters.com/aff/813/
no Mac versions available.
Old Aug 11, 2000, 3:42 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Couldn't find myself! Am surprised, but I moved 2 years ago. Prior to the move two people located me via the some internet directory.

There are no secretes now a days.
He knows what you are doing............
Old Aug 11, 2000, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Rudi .. you know about that Swiss secrecy. They DO have Swiss YELLOW pages up there tho!

Never looked up myself via AOL and discover a color map with my exact house marked. Terrifying what detail is out there!

Have "Shareholder" from Edmonton Canada coming over for lunch in 12 hours ... this will save him getting lost!

http://map.yellowpages.com.au/cgi-bi...2%29+9958+1333

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.