Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sale, purchase or barter of award tickets...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2001, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Most of us have booked award tickets for ourselves and immediate family. Some of us might also have booked tickets for family and friends as a gift or a favor.

Though the airlines allow booking tickets for someone else, "The sale, purchase, assignment or barter of Award Travel Tickets has been held to be illegal."

Do you consider it as an ethical issue not to do so or is exchanging tickets for redeemable miles and currency valid.

If someone exchanged 500 AA Kelloggs certificates for 500 UA certificate, would you consider it considered bartering.
Old May 3, 2001, 9:27 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What else would you want to call it?
Old May 3, 2001, 10:04 am
Original Poster

If someone exchanged a three nights stay or an award ticket for (lets say) Kelloggs AA miles/hotel reward , does that still classify as bartering.

What I am trying to imply here is , Where is the fine line drawn ( ethically and/or legally )

Old May 3, 2001, 10:10 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I would argue the only issue at hand here is the legal one. I am hesitant to use "ethics" when dealing with large corporations.
Old May 3, 2001, 10:15 am

The airlines would call this bartering and in violation of their terms and rules period.

Many people who trade/buy/sell/barter awards/miles can get away with it as long as they keep it in house.

The fastest way to draw the airlines attention is to put something like this on E-bay.
Old May 3, 2001, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by dw:
I would argue the only issue at hand here is the legal one. I am hesitant to use "ethics" when dealing with large corporations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.