Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's Up With Millenium Fares?

Old Apr 5, 1999, 9:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I just checked RT fares (IAH-TPA) with CO for 12/29/99 thru 1/3/00. Their "best fare" is $1,033 RT. I then checked thetrip.com for all other airline fares and wah-lah!, up comes a $241.50 RT fare from AA. AA's flight is IAH-DFW-TPA. In fact, there are about 9 flights that have better fares than CO.

Has anyone checked fares around the millenium?

[This message has been edited by JAWS_II (edited 04-05-99).]

[This message has been edited by JAWS_II (edited 04-05-99).]
Old Apr 5, 1999, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jaws, I had no problem with United on my millenium dates. Got a LAX-Orlando R/T of $320, which I thought was darn good. Plenty of seats and award/upgraded travel available as well. Might just be the market.
Old Apr 6, 1999, 1:11 am
Original Member

I've been checking fares for London to Dulles, and have found that restricted tickets have doubled in price, but flexible tickets have not. i.e. 28 day Apex is now 500 GBP rather than 250GBP, econ 900 GBP. These arn't even for travel very close to the millenium, but mid Dec to 5th Jan. However, I've not been looking at different routings, days, etc yet, so it might just be bad luck on my part.
Old Apr 6, 1999, 6:50 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Airlines seem to still be evaluating demand for the millenium travel period and it definitely is a sporadic, market-by-market thing right now.

Hotels, cruise lines, and tour companies have already done their evaluation -- depending on what and where, some prices are up 200% over "normal" pricing.

And it's not even the turn of the century but that's a discussion for some other board...

Old Apr 6, 1999, 6:58 am
Original Member

I had a very long conversation with American the other night. Some markets are being blocked (i.e. you cant get tickets). For example, JFK-San Juan (non-stop) cannot be purchased for my travel -- 12/28 - 1/4. We are at the whim of Yield Management.

There are other markets that are blocked also -- Vegas, Denver, Orlando (and most of Florida) and a few other locations -- but not all.

Fares are about the same as usualy (or so I am told) -- $672 r/t for JFK-San Juan (Funny -- they could quote me an approximate price but not get me my tickets). They said by the end of April I would be contacted by AA about purchasing tickets.

Of course, waiting has cost me some $$$. Fares on Tower Air (I know, Tower), started in January at $350 and are nor at $550. Loyalty has cost me $400 so far.

--Jim
Old Apr 6, 1999, 10:03 am

Location: CLE, UA MM, UA Premier Plat, Bonvoy Titanium UA Club
I've been checking prices to Key West, Tampa, Ft. Myers....OUCH!!! I'm starting to re-think traveling during 12/28 - 01/02. Maybe plan later trip (mid Feb).
Old Apr 6, 1999, 12:55 pm
Commander Catcop

I gave up early on trying to do something special for the millenium.

I am planning to go to Texas to see my friends Steve & JOYCE (Surprise guys!) but going 12-26 to 12-31. I got a fare of about 350 RT EWR-DFW on AA.

I'll probably spend what Madison Ave says is the Millenium with friends in Queens. Or if they're busy I'll stay home with the cats.

I won't pay 10000 dollars for a cruise.

Or 8000 for two days in paris.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.