Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The best airline according to Zagat's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2001, 8:07 am
Original Poster

The best airline according to Zagat's

Zagat's new airline survey is available online (register free to download). Not surprisingly, Midwest Express won every category and even though it is defined as an "economy" airline, it scored higher than airlines defined as "premium."
www.zagat.com
Old Mar 23, 2001, 8:09 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/004252.html

Old Mar 27, 2001, 9:32 am

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
I'd say that Zagat was accurate with its assessment of Midwest Express. They truly do provide a better experience than their competition. I've used them for about 10 R/T's on about 4 different routings, and I've found their fares to be reasonable compared to the competition.

If they'd only get rid of those ancient DC-9's...
Old Mar 27, 2001, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
As posted in USA Today:
Zagat's Winners-
Top Airlines, premium
- Hawaiian
- Alaska
- Continental
- American
- United

Top Airlines, economy
- Midwest Express
- JetBlue
- Alaska
- Midway
- National

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Mar 27, 2001, 12:47 pm

To be fair, Midwest Express "economy" is significantly better than any other domestic "premium" service. It really should top both lists, even though they technically don't have a premium service.
Old Mar 27, 2001, 12:54 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Midwest Express is superb!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum34/HTML/000035.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/004252.html
Old Mar 28, 2001, 6:58 pm

Location: HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, AVIS-Select, Fmr. AA Plat., Travel Professional
It's heartwarming to see all of you so excited about Kansas City's very own Midwest Express! They do a wonderful job portraying an 'upscale' image. But ask the employees sometime how much they like working for this airline. I think you all might be pleasantly surprised that things are only cute in the ad's and not underneath it all.
Old Mar 28, 2001, 7:10 pm

Kansas City's own??? Aren't they MKE based???
Old Mar 28, 2001, 7:11 pm

I think you all might be pleasantly surprised that things are only cute in the ad's and not underneath it all.
Was that pleasantly or UN-pleasantly? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.
Old Mar 29, 2001, 8:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
So many new airlines try to follow the "Southwest model". One wonders why so few have tried the "Midwest Express" model.
Old Mar 29, 2001, 8:19 am

Programs: United
The Midwest Express model doesn't always work. See, for example, Legend.
Old Mar 29, 2001, 3:38 pm

Midwest Express is based in Milwaukee. They recently expanded service at MCI, and market it as a 'mini-hub'. The employees I've dealt with at MCI (and, to a lesser extent, SAT) seem very pleasant to me. If they don't like their jobs, it hasn't affected the product they've delivered to me.

Or...maybe because ME is next to United at MCI, they just *seem* friendly by comparison.
Old Mar 29, 2001, 6:35 pm

Location: HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, AVIS-Select, Fmr. AA Plat., Travel Professional
True, Midwest is Milwaukee based. But they are moving more and more to Kansas City due to the lack of tax cuts in Wisconsin. Have you seen any expansion out of there in a few years? Answer: NO (Des Moines doesn't count). Just watch and see what happens!
Old Mar 29, 2001, 6:49 pm

I'm watching...but this figures to be very minor with regards to my travels..they don't fly internationally...and I don't think they even desire to be a BIG airline...so the route structure would never be extensive enough for me...maybe partners can handle what they can't.
Old Mar 30, 2001, 8:58 am

A.G. - I'd love to see ME expand in KC. I don't know their long-term corporate strategy, but if it includes more flights to/from MCI, that would be great! Perhaps with the airport enhancements planned in the next 3-5 years, along with the rearrangement of TWA/AA gates, ME will be able to expand their presence (and maybe even move out of their current undesirable location).

IM: I think ME has some sort of partnership with Northwest/KLM. Their website is currently lagging, so I can't verify what this for sure. I just seem to recall seeing a sign somewhere about it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.