Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Putting the "AMEX Sheraton Starpoints Expiration" issue to bed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2000, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Putting the "AMEX Sheraton Starpoints Expiration" issue to bed

OK.. not to beat a dead horse here, but..

I have read several threads re: the value of the AMEX Sheraton Starpoints CC. All of the post were very informative and useful, except for one poster, Chauming, who shall remain nameless.

It does not appear that a consensus was reached on when and if the starpoints expire, i.e. does an "active account" constitute 1 stay per year or just 1 charge on the CC per year?

Can someone please answer this question? I need to know before I apply for the card...

Thanks in advance,

Bean
Old Jun 21, 2000, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I have been a gold Sheraton member for 20 years, and have been VERY saddened by the dimunition in benefits now Starwood have taken over. So, does anyone know .. if I am a Starwood Gold, WHAT do I need to do to stay that way? Used to be to give sheraton 25 bucks a year!
Old Jun 21, 2000, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Ozstamps,

In the future, please start your own topic if you have a question of your own. I expect replies to my topic to be just that.
Old Jun 21, 2000, 4:54 pm

Bean, take it easy; I am sure it won't happen again . ozstamps, to try to answer your question, I believe it requires a minimum of ten stays (nights) during the course of the year to maintain your Gold status for the next calendar year. I do not have the handbook in front of me so I could be wrong, but if I am, I am sure that someone will correct me.
Old Jun 21, 2000, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I don't know the answer to your question and I rarely stay at hotels, but at worst I'll transfer my points to an airline before there is an expiration. Have you called Starwood with your question? My statement shows a Sept 30th, 2001 expiration date and I will see if it remains as statements come in. I can rack up plenty of miles in the next 1/2 years on the card.

------------------
DtG
Old Jun 22, 2000, 7:02 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
For those that paid $25/year for gold status, you can continue to do so UNLESS you actually qualify for gold on stays, then you can no longer continue to pay for the status!
Old Jun 22, 2000, 7:26 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
yes (like beckles says) I still pay the $25 and stay Gold that way.

And I will continue to pay the $25/year even if I would qualify by (10) stays once. Starwood would honor this paiement (because they once asked a onetime entry-fee and now can't simply delete my Gold and the then promised requalification process pay going on to pay the fee).
Old Jun 22, 2000, 7:29 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Bean: I don't know if just a charge to your Sheraton will help (requalify) - but I am pretty sure that just a lunch-/dinner-charge (without being a hotel-guest) resulting in Starwood-points would do so.
Old Jun 22, 2000, 8:49 am
Original Member

"diminution in benefits"?

You must be joking.
Old Jul 6, 2000, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
What a funny system! Yes, I only stay Starwood paid a few times a year, and simply have them debit the 25 bucks. Seems odd if you stay a dozen stays, and then next year do not, you can't pay $25 again!

Best $25 in the world.

Bit I love is the AUTOMATIC 4pm check out. Flights to OZ seem to always take off real late for some reason! UA out of SFO and LAX for instance are about 11pm.

A guaranteed 4pm is usually no problem as 5pm, and if Hotel not busy they'll usually stretch to 6 or later if asked politely. Any other hotel will demand a day rate charge for that late a checkout - usually $100 or so for any decent ***** so that $25 is a buy!

To be able to have a shower and change of clothes before getting on a 14 hour flight to Oz is a dream!
Old Jul 6, 2000, 11:16 pm

Shouldn't this post be moved to Starwood section?
Old Jul 7, 2000, 4:12 am

Too bad your intelligence level has never risen to the level necessary to extract useful information!

[This message has been edited by chauming (edited 07-07-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.