Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Latin Pass Bonus: Eligible fares

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2000, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Latin Pass Bonus: Eligible fares

I have spent the better part of the afternoon on the phone with Taca Airlines, their frequent flyer program Distancia, and Lacsa airlines trying to determine if the fare classes for two flights that I have on hold are eligible for mileage accummulation. One is a V fare with Lacsa while the other is a B fare with Taca & Aviateca. I wanted to make sure before ticketing but after all this time on the phone (being on hold, disconnected, back on hold and on and on) I am not sure that I know any better!

For both these fares I was told yes and then no as to their eligibility - from both reservation agents and agents at Distancia. Totally confused, I called back and spoke with a Taca reservation agent who empathized with my plight. She put me on hold (!) and spoke with Distancia and very quickly came back and said the following:

All published fares (fares that show on their reservation system) are eligible for mileage accummulation. Where the confusion sets in is that in the past, W, G, L & Z fares, were used exclusively by travel agents for group or reduced fares. Now Grupo Taca has started using these codes as well for published fares. What happens when it comes to posting the mileage, the agent went on to explain, is that often the person at Distancia just assumes that the fare is a travel agent fare and therefore ineligible, rather than checking to see whether or not it is a published fare.

This also explains the conflicting answers from reservation agents some of whom automatically say that these fares are travel agent fares not realizing that they are in fact published fares.

But I am still confused because I have seen W, G & Z fares quoted on Travelocity which I assume only shows published fares. Does that mean these fares earn miles? And what about my V and B fares ... these did not appear to be used as travel agent fares so why the confusion about their eligibility. I know a fail safe way is to go with the higher class fares but part of the challenge for me is qualifying for the bonus at the lowest fare possible. Tomorrow I will take one last kick at the can and see if I get another different answer .... any thoughts? Did most people book full fare?

P.S. The other Latin Pass member airlines do not seem to have this problem ... I've called them all (except for Avianca, no answer) and they say "all published fares, no exceptions". I wished Latin Pass or the individual airlines would post definitively the fare classes that do or do not qualify.

P.P.S. Per the Distancia website, for flights within Peru (i.e. Taca Peru), only Y and C class fares are eligible for mileage.
Old Mar 15, 2000, 5:05 pm

We booked on Expedia.com and all the Latin fares came in as Y fares -- nothing cheaper. No refund/change penalties and no question about getting the mileage.
Old Mar 15, 2000, 5:40 pm
Original Member

Gabriel:

I may be being a little bit overlycautious, but all of mine are booked in Y and C with one M on Taca. Why risk a million miles over a couple of $100?? Y and C fares are virtually guaranteed to get mileage - is it worth the risk??
Old Mar 20, 2000, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Well I finally cleared it with a Distancia supervior ... all published fares are eligible for mileage accummulation. By published they mean any fare that is listed on their reservation system. I followed up by asking about W, L and Z fares - I was told by more than one reservation agent that they did were not eligible. He repeated that they were eligible and added that the confusion may have to do with another promotion that is going on in Central America where those fares do not qualify for that particular promotion ... however they would still earn base miles. So to recap, according to the Distancia supervisor (Joshua) all published fares will earn miles. This is acutally in keeping with the frequent flyer programs of other Latin Pass members, i.e. Aeropostal, Avianca, Aces, and Copa.

So the choice is yours (ours) ... go by this and book any published fare or play safe and only book in Y. Note, the difference between Y and a V or W fare for the MIAMGA route (to qualify as the Nica segment) is quite substantial.

I've booked my 1MM trip and will try to post the details soon so I can hook up with fellow FTers who are on the same flights as me.
Old Mar 20, 2000, 5:34 pm

Gabriel, I have found interesting way to see if mileage can be accrued on flights. Use Expedia and before you book your flight the sytem shows you how many miles you will earn and it even tells you which flights do not earn miles. If you see a 0 miles, you should take this as a warning that you will not earn any frequent flyer miles, and that flight will be of no use for this promotion. The lowest fare from BZE to GUA is in class W and will not earn miles according to Expedia. A class V ticket however from LAX to LIM does acquire miles. It is very confusing and although I am now through with my bookings it was a battle to look for the lowest ELIGABLE fares. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.