Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which cards do you get credit for balance transfers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2000, 1:20 am
Original Poster

I am a newbie, and I have read about how people have gotten ff miles for transferring balances on credit cards. Then, I read that CITIFI (which was listed) was no longer taking applications. Are there any cards that still give you credit for transfer balances? Do they only transfer the miles when you apply? Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 4, 2000, 4:33 am

The only 2 I know about is Southwest airlines visa,, which presently gives you 1 credit (need 16 for a ticket)per 1000 $transfer up to $5000 ,I think.It has a yearly fee of $59 or $39 depending if you get classic card or platinum.I think the interest rate is high--But the Capitol One Miles One visa gives you 1 mile per doller transfer up to $3000 with a fixed 9.9% and the yearly fee is $19.Those are the only 2 doing balance transfer credits at present that I know of
Old Aug 4, 2000, 11:01 am

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
Welcome doraine!

Keep reading the boards; you'll find lots of useful information on our favorite commodities--miles and points! As for your question, there have been several threads on balance transfers in The Buzz. Use the Search function in the right hand corner to see if any are helpful to you.
Old Sep 2, 2000, 11:43 am

Programs: AS Gold75K, AS Board Room, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Have had a number of different cards that offer miles. Only a couple of times have I received a limited time special offer to do a balance transfer that would earn miles. Did it once via an introductory offer on AAdvantage MasterCard. As the posts above detail, there are probably a few cards out there that do this as a rule (probably they are not the ones you want?). You might look up the AAdvantage MasterCard number and call them to see if they have an offer available. It never hurts to ask.
Old Sep 3, 2000, 7:20 am

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
With AA/Citibank it has to be that you received a targeted mailing, which you won't if you already have a citibank card. I got one addressed to my daughter which I was able to use. They seem to "up the ante" if you don't respond to their earlier offers. The one I finally used, gave 10,000 miles plus, miles for balance transfers. Unfortunately I was Not elite at the time and the limit was 60,000 miles for transfers. So don't rush at the first offer you see, and make sure all your children have AA frequent flyer numbers.

------------------
DtG
Old Sep 3, 2000, 12:10 pm
CG

I just got an insert with this months First USA SW visa card saying that they were doing away with the miles for balance transfers. In addition, they now charge 3%, minimum of $5.00, for any balance transfer. For Southwest this makes it cheaper to just buy a ticket since $16000X.03==$480. Keep in mind that even when you could do balance transfers you only got credit for $5000.00 and it was a one time only deal. They also instituted a $59.00 annual fee, so this card is not worth keeping anymore for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.