Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will UA guarantee their $28.50 RT TUS-SEA error?

Old Nov 14, 2001, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

On 11/13 a friend advised of UA error in posting RT fares of $28.50 from TUS-SEA. I purchased e-tickets (with my credit card)through travel agent and was advised that I would receive confirmed itinerary in the mail. Supposedly UA had erroneously posted the price but was honoring it. Later that day another friend tried to purchase same itinerary but was told UA had pulled the offer. Travel agent was not sure if UA was going to honor any of the previously purchased tickets on this deal. What rights do I have here if UA tries to cancel?
Old Nov 14, 2001, 6:19 pm

Programs: TK E+, AF Plat & QR Plat (all the hard way), AA 3MM (worthless), smattering of others
I'm told by my travel agent that if they have charged your card and issued you a ticket number then they are bound by their contract of carriage. Now that's heresay, so take it for what it's worth.

BTW, I was the beneficiary of one of these "oops fares" once on travel to Hawaii -- and it was on UA.
Old Nov 14, 2001, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If you bought a nonrefundable ticket from UA and then realized you made an error, do you think they would let you off the hook?
Old Nov 15, 2001, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JerryFF:
If you bought a nonrefundable ticket from UA and then realized you made an error, do you think they would let you off the hook? </font>
Yes. If you bought a ticket by the UAL web site, you have 24 hours to cancel/change with a full refund as an option.

I've had situations in the past where I've bought a ticket over the phone, found out that I had gotten a date or time wrong, and quickly called into UA for a change without a fee. I think they key is that you have to admiit to a mistake and you need to call in relativley soon after making the rez.

In the case of the $28.50 ticket, I think they'll honor it.
Old Nov 15, 2001, 12:07 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skofarrell:
I think they key is that you have to admiit to a mistake and you need to call in relativley soon after making the rez.</font>
Agree, Same experience here twice. Called back w/in an hour both times.
Old Nov 15, 2001, 2:47 pm

after all, if they had to honor $27.50 from sfo-cdg, $28.50 tus-sea makes better economic sense for them. your friend will be fine!
Old Nov 15, 2001, 3:04 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
because you bought it thru a travel agent, they are going to honor it. however, they may just send your agent a debit memo for the error. your travel agent does not have a lot of leverage when it comes to fighting debit memos, because the airlines set the rules.

have your travel agent look at the AGENTS COPY of the ticket. if the FCI box has a 0 (zero) in it, the res system auto priced the ticket (in other words, used the info supplied by the airline) then the res system will fight the ticket for the travel agent. if any other number is in the FCI box, your travel agent won't have a leg to stand on.

i would suggest that if this is the case, you be prepared to keep your relationship with your travel agent strong by stepping up if a debit memo comes in.

otherwise, enjoy the flight!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.