Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double Dipping?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2001, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Double Dipping?

Fortunately, this is something that rarely happens to me, so I'm not sure if this is okay or not.

I was originally scheduled to fly on one airline, but due to a long delay, they booked me on another airline. So, I'm wondering -- can I claim miles on both airlines? Is that legal? Since the first airline screwed up, don't they kind of owe me?

Or, would that be against the rules? I really don't know -- who has time to read the fine print -- and I don't want to get in trouble for 1500 miles. I'm sitting on hundreds of thousands of them, so putting those at risk for 1500 miles wouldn't make sense.
Old May 21, 2001, 2:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You can sometimes get away with it, I've done it in the past, gotten the miles on airline A and B because there was a problem and A put me on B. Keep your boarding cards, and tickets and whatever and submit according to each airline's program. You usually won't get them automaticailly.
Old May 21, 2001, 2:39 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally posted by cordelli:
You can sometimes get away with it, I've done it in the past, gotten the miles on airline A and B because there was a problem and A put me on B. Keep your boarding cards, and tickets and whatever and submit according to each airline's program. You usually won't get them automaticailly.
I agree, Cord, however, I don't think it's as sneaky (for lack of a better word) as you make it sound. I know UA for example has a form which they will give you (upon asking) if you are rerouted on another carrier--fill it out, mail it in, and you'll get credit immediately--whether it is weather, mechanical, or whatever--you are entitled to your credit...You should never have trouble getting the credit on your original carrier, and when rerouted, just be sure to give the new carrier your FF # at check-in, and it usually gets posted as if you paid for and flew it.

There's nothing wrong, unethical or illegal about getting credit on 2 carriers! No worries, mdtony...I've gone so far as to ask to be put on other carriers during delays, just so I can double dip.

[This message has been edited by MBS PremExec (edited 05-21-2001).]
Old May 21, 2001, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

The "Double dipping" term is a stretch. After all, you only get credit once on each airline.

Airline A had a problem. You paid to fly on them and they reward you with miles. The fact that they have to get you there via another method is a different issue.

Airline B now gets your business. They reward you for your flight. They don't seem to mind how you wound up their flight, just that you are there.

Some airlines will handle the lost segment/miles on the first airline on the spot. Delta agents used to send an email or something to Atlanta and they posted it right away.
Old May 21, 2001, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Airline A cx'd my flight for mechanical reasons. they filled out a form right there when I inquired about my miles and segements. They transferred me to Airline B. I promptly produced my Airline B status card to get forward aisle seating and they credited me with the miles/segment as well. I was double dipped and didn't even ask. Airline A's miles posted in a week and Airline B's posted in the normal posting pattern. I was very satisfied with the situation
Old May 21, 2001, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Cool, thanks, guys! I'll send my note in to the first airline today since I got credit on the second one already!
Old May 21, 2001, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Cool, thanks, guys! I'll send my note in to the first airline today since I got credit on the second one already!
Old May 21, 2001, 11:25 pm

Due to the recent strike at FRA, I was re-routed through LHR to get to GVA. The LHR-GVA segement was on BA.
After I got back home, Called UA and recieved the proper credit for all the miles including bonus miles.

I'm not affiliated with BA FF program. But If I was, I should be able to get "Double Dip" credit for LHR-GVA portion.

AndrewM
Old May 21, 2001, 11:41 pm

Old May 22, 2001, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Platinum & a whole lot of other programs...
HP (America West) has a policy that they will not give you credit if you are 120'd or 240'd from another Airline. This happened to me when UA had a severely delayed flight our of PHX which would cause me to miss my connection. They put me on HP direct. Got the United Miles I was entitled to, but HP refused to issue credit..
Old May 22, 2001, 8:41 am
Original Poster

No wonder why they call them America Worst. Since they are partnered with Continental, did you try giving Continental a try?

I generally don't fly Continental -- got my Preimier status with United and I want to keep that -- but when I fly them, they take care of you. I got one of their customer care packets because of this little incident, and it's got all sorts of goodies on it.

I just wish they had a flight where I could have used the free headset -- got stuck next to a total bubba on my way back. He leans over and says, I ain't never flying this airline no more. I said why and he said, cause the food ain't no good.

I was half tempted to tell him to try AirTran or some super discounter because the food was so good on it.

Originally posted by milesandpoints:
HP (America West) has a policy that they will not give you credit if you are 120'd or 240'd from another Airline. This happened to me when UA had a severely delayed flight our of PHX which would cause me to miss my connection. They put me on HP direct. Got the United Miles I was entitled to, but HP refused to issue credit..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.