Wiki Posts
Search

Pay us or Chaos

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2001, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles
Pay us or Chaos

Recently saw some UA FAs at ORD with this sticker (Pay us or CHAOS!) on their bags. I felt it looked very unprofessional of them to be "fighting their battle" right in front of their customers. How do others feel?

------------------
UA Premier
Old Feb 2, 2001, 11:39 am

That probably says a great deal about United in general these days (and other carriers too). I totally sympathise with them.
Old Feb 2, 2001, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
I think it's reasonable. I mean, how else can they let people know what's going on.

Once they've gone a while w/o getting a new contract, I think it's just fine.
Old Feb 2, 2001, 2:46 pm
Suspended

I think it is completely professional that they let others know they are serious about wanting decent wages, hours and working conditions. I for one appreciate it when they inform us of problems and the potential of future actions. It affords us an opportunity to discuss with them what is happening and (hopefully) show our support in words and actions.
Old Feb 2, 2001, 2:57 pm

But the flight attendants DO have a contract and it does not expire ubtil 2006. The contract allows for a mid term wage adjustment in the first quarter of 2001. I think the problem is that instead of just a wage adjustment FAs are asking for other changes. They're starting to sound like all the overpaid pro athletes: Demand a 10 year contract and then want to re-negotiate half way through! A contract is a contract, if they don't like it they can take their customer service skills, go greet people at Walmart, and let UA hire new people that WANT to honor the contract and work for a fair wage.

[This message has been edited by LikeItUpFront (edited 02-02-2001).]
Old Feb 5, 2001, 8:21 am

I feel it to be fine that they are displaying these stickers.. The general public has no idea how much these people work, and how little they receive in return..

In a previous marriage, my then Wife, was a FA, for a large Canadian carrier.. We moved to the states, and she applied at United.. They, of course offered her the position, but wanted us to relo to SFO..

Guess what the starting salary was?? ~ US$30K / year!! Can you fathom this? How shocked we both were...

But, she saw the light, and became a FA in the corporate world, and now flies on G-V's, Challengers, and Falcon 900's... AND the pay is too good to be true...

So for all of you FA's out there with the big airlines, email me, and I will shed some light on your new careers in the corporate aviation world..
Old Feb 5, 2001, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I agree with the FA s right to freedom of expression. If it impacts the service, that's a different story.

But to express disatisfaction with your employer - well it's just such an American thing to do. (country, not airline :> )

Thumper
Old Feb 5, 2001, 11:34 am
Suspended

Great, the next time I answer the phone at work, I'll tell the customer how crappy the company pays us. I won't let it impact the service I provide, I'll just let 'em know.
Old Feb 5, 2001, 11:42 am

Originally posted by LorettaG:
Great, the next time I answer the phone at work, I'll tell the customer how crappy the company pays us. I won't let it impact the service I provide, I'll just let 'em know.
Do I detect a little sarcasm

I believe this is a little different than you "answering your phone, and informing customers.."

What happens if you go on strike? Probably, not a whole lot.. What happens when airline FA's, and Pilot's go on strike? CNN reports the airport chaos..
Old Feb 5, 2001, 11:44 am

To add to my previous point, I have NEVER heard an FA, or Pilot voice these opinions in-flight, or to any PAX's...

Old Feb 5, 2001, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
LorettaG,

Let's keep this a friendly board.

In response to hypothetically answering the phone in the manner you described, the FAs were not wearing buttons during the flight. They were not advocating getting off the plane or suggesting their company should not be used.

A bumper sticker on their bags in my mind is similar to a bumper sticker on my car. Would I drive up to a client site with "get screwed by MyCompany" - no. But that's not what they did either. They got us - the endusers - discussing their plight.

I'm sorry you disagreed so strongly, but I'm glad we're allowed to.

Thumper
Old Feb 5, 2001, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Very unprofessional to have any "anti-company" info visable when you are working. Fine on personal items where you are not "at work" - such as person vehicle.

If working conditions are so poor, why is it difficult to get a FA job - or is that not the case any longer?

Once on strike, info is appropriate.
Old Feb 5, 2001, 1:10 pm

Originally posted by SAPMAN:
Very unprofessional to have any "anti-company" info visable when you are working. Fine on personal items where you are not "at work" - such as person vehicle.

If working conditions are so poor, why is it difficult to get a FA job - or is that not the case any longer?

Once on strike, info is appropriate.
true.. true.. very valid points from all...

Regarding the points of obtaining FA positions, there is indeed a screening process, which in of itself is ironic.. The airlines desire people with excellent communication/interpersonal skills, and good looks. They are also very demanding, but only pay as much as a McDonald's Manager, if that... Notwithstanding the poor pay, the benefits are good.. So pick you poison...
Old Feb 5, 2001, 3:12 pm

With attitude and unprofessional conduct like that it is easy to see why you are not being paid more richly.
1. If someone is not happy with their pay or thinks that their skills are worth more than they are being paid, then they should go and work for someone else who is willing to compensate them accordingly.
2. Don't give me the freedom of expression crap. When someone puts on a uniform and goes to work they represent The Airline, they are on The Airlines time and they need to fly the company flag, portray a positive image of the company, conduct theirself in a professional manner keeping any personal dissatisfaction out of the public view. On their day off they can do whatever (legally) they want.
3. Fuel prices are way up resulting in decrease profits (or even losses), and ticket prices keep going up while ameneties are being cut.... The last thing that I want to see or hear while I am paying more for less is some basically unskilled laborer whining and complaining about how underpaid they are... If you aren't happy, go see item number 1
Old Feb 5, 2001, 5:15 pm
Suspended

To Likeitupfront:

Comments/attitudes like the one you posted are part of the reason they are so vastly underpaid and underappreciated.

Perhaps if we heard their side of the story (ie, starting wages of 18k/yr, no flight benefits for 6 months, no contract for excessive time frames) we'd be a little more sympathetic. I for one am glad that middle class workers take a stand to improve working conditions for all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.