Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Bumper Stories Please

Bumper Stories Please

Old Jul 10, 1999, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Bumper Stories Please

The best offer to be bumped I ever had was this past January in MSP on NW. The flight to HNL was woefully oversold due to the storm related flight cancellations the previous week. I was made aware of the situation early on at my departure gate in YUL and was offered the chance to be a volunteer. I declined, not wishing to wreck havoc with my vacation plans that included my wife and a friend of ours. Once we arrived in MSP, the agent at the WorldClub again mentioned they were looking for volunteers. Again I declined. Curiosity got the better of me and I wandered down to the gate area to see what was being offered. $1100 in transferable NW/KLM flight vouchers. Not bad. I was heading back to the WorldClub when I overheard a gate agent quietly telling another pax that they were upping the ante to $2000 in vouchers. That did it. I promptly got in line, found out that the next available flight might only be the next day or two, and that NW would put up volunteers at a local hotel with all food, phone, taxi vouchers in addition to the $2000. Since I'd never been to MSP (other than the airport) I thought this adventure might be worth losing a couple of days in paradise. Unfortunately, I missed my opportunity by 2 pax. Next time, I'll pay more attention when I'm told of an oversold situation.
What's your story?
Old Jul 10, 1999, 8:36 pm
Original Member

Used to fly between Pittsburgh and Phila. every few months on a particular case, so we came to know the flights pretty well. US Air dominates both hubs, so no competition. My colleagues and I knew that the Friday 5 and 6 pm departures from PIT to PHL would always be overbooked, so we would book them just to get free tickets, and would make sure that we were first in line to offer to be bumped. once, however, I offered to be bumped on the 6 pm departure, got bumped without two of my partners (who got on the 6 pm) got a free ticket, got put on the 7 pm plane. The 6 pm plane just sat there because of bad weather, and because of gate location, the 7 pm plane actually got away and into takeoff line earlier, and I got to PHL about 15 minutes before my two partners. when I landed and saw they hadn't come in yet, I couldn't resist waiting for them at their gate, and flashing my free ticket.

Djlawman
Old Jul 10, 1999, 9:41 pm
Original Member

Two/three years ago I redeemed 80,000 miles on NW for a trip from San Diego to Minneapolis for our family vacation. My family and I flew there, enjoyed our vacation and when at the airport for our return to San Diego found out that the flight was way overbooked. I volunteered to bump my whole family. From our original "free" tickets we were each compensated $350 (times 4) vouchers for future travel then put on the next flight two hours later in first class. The vouchers paid for the airfare on our next vacation.
Old Jul 10, 1999, 10:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Several years ago, I was seated on an AC flight (short haul-- 50 minutes prop plane) when I saw a gate agent board the plane. I knew a volunteer opportunity was about to be announced. She barely got the words "We have a problem . . . " out of her mouth when I shot up my hand to volunteer while the words "and we need a volunteer" emanated from her lips. I figure it is best to volunteer then to find out the details--you can always refuse.

In this case, they gave me $300 to get off the plane and get on a CP flight that was leaving in 15 minutes. They needed the seat for a companion of another traveller, no other reason. Anyway the CP flight was a jet so only took 40 minutes. Essentially I got paid $300 to arrive 5 minutes later than the AC flight--my best bump ever. I just prefer to get there now but if I could get the 5 minutes later arrival for $300 again, I would jump at it.

My mother and brother have volunteered several times and always been happy with the result.
Old Jul 11, 1999, 2:52 am
Original Member

DJLawman, I had a similar experience on Southwest from SF to SD. It is a good bumping experience! Interested to see more postings on this subject!
Old Jul 11, 1999, 8:39 am
pgupta011

My best bump story was about 10 years ago when I was flying at Christmas time from the US west coast to the east coast. My flights were oversold so I received a $900 voucher, a first class upgrade to another (non-stop) flight, and I got to my destination at the same time. Call it beginners luck.

Old Jul 11, 1999, 11:02 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
My only bump was DFW-MSY. I got a free ticket and they routed me DFW-ATL-MSY and I got an extra segment and extra miles for about 90 minutes of my time ... not too bad.
Old Jul 11, 1999, 7:02 pm
Original Member

1992 -- vacation in Florida -- first time flying without my parents. We were in Miami flying to NY on AA. Aircraft was downgraded from something that sat 300+ people to something that sat 150 people (I forget the aircraft types). We volunteered for $500 each and a seat on a plane 2 hours later. We also asked and received food vouchers.

We sat at the bar and had a great time. Ended up that the origial flight had engine problems, had to return to the gate, they would not let the passengers off the plane, and took off 15 minutes before our flight. $500 for 15 minutes -- I'll take that anytime!

Worst tease -- twp months ago flying from NY to ORD. American was overbooked and needed volunteer. I volunteered but was told they would not need me. I boarded the plane (was upgraded) and stowed my bag. Gate agent comes on the plane and signals to me that she needed my seat. Get bags, leave plane. I no sooner make it off the plane then she tells made a mistake and did not need my seat. Get back on the plane (still had the upgraded seat) but no space for my carry-on -- the last passenger who got on took my space. They made me check my bag -- which delayed me getting to my hotel in PHX!

Oh well -- sometimes you win and sometimes you loose!
Old Jul 11, 1999, 7:17 pm
In Memoriam

On the Tuesday after last Thanksgiving, flights to San Francisco were woefully overbooked because of bad weather there the day before. I volunteered out of EWR ($200 and upgrade), and was put on a one-stop through Chicago. Got off the plane "to stretch my legs" (and to see if they needed volunteers)...$200 more...third time the delay was longer (so $300), and no first class (remember, I had been upgraded!) so a coupon for a future upgrade. Net to me: $700, one upgraded segment and one future upgrade.

For what it's worth, United bases their (first) offer on how long until the next flight; they may offer as little as $100. American seems always to start at $300 regardless of how long a delay you're buying.

One I've always wondered about was at ORD, where the flight to Indianapolis at the next gate was oversold so UA was offering hotel and a free flight (back in those days!). It was only about 5:00, and I wondered if it wouldn't be cheaper (and faster) to rent cars for the volunteers and let them drive!!
Old Jul 12, 1999, 8:34 am

My best bump story: About 5 years ago, UA leg from DFW-ORD as part of a long 2 week, 6 city trip. Got to the desk at DFW and the agent said they had been waiting for me because they needed my FC seat. Why?, I asked. "We have a UA exec and his wife travelling back to ORD and there is only 1 FC seat available, so we need yours". That was a big mistake to tell me that...I asked what the comp was and he said a $200 voucher and seat on American's next flight. I said "no thanks, you need to do better than that to get me to change." He spoke with the UA exec and called me back up & whispered, "I've been authorized to give you a Rd. trip on UA in North America and got you a FC seat on the AA flight leaving in 45 minutes." I said that would be OK with me, but what about my checked bag? The agent made a call to baggage, they pulled my bag off & sent it with a driver to take me to the AA terminal. No others have ever come close to that one.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 07-12-1999).]
Old Jul 12, 1999, 8:57 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
Flying from BOS - LHR on the United new schedule ( 5000 bonus miles ) in April the flight to LHR was overbooked and United said no upgrades were available. They offered $400 flight credits, hotel, food etc and a confirmed business class seat the next day. Sometimes it pays to leave a buffer day in between appts. As an added bonus UA still gave me the miles for my original flight!!!

Cheers Scott
Old Jul 12, 1999, 12:26 pm
BIM

Here's Mine:

A few years ago, had a business trip connecting on AA through Miami for San Jose, CR. In MIA, my three companions and I volunteered and recieved $750 CASH!(actually a check), a free RT ticket and an upgrade to Business Class on the next flight (4 hours or so later). We ended up taking a limo to Little Havana, having a Cuban sandwich and a drink, and thoroughly enjoyed our good fortune.

One thing - I have always recieved RT tickets in exchange for volunteering. Now, it's been a while since my last bump, but from the sound of this thread, it sounds like the airlines are leaning more towards the voucher than the freebie. What do y'all think?
Old Jul 12, 1999, 12:34 pm
pgupta011

I like vouchers because I can earn FF miles on my "free" tickets, and I'm usually able to find good fares so a $200 voucher (typically also combined with a coupon and bonus miles for booking with United Connection on PC) will more than cover a RT to say Las Vegas.

Old Jul 12, 1999, 12:57 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The airlines definitely seem to be moving away from free tickets to vouchers, which is good for the folks being bumped. Vouchers are not subject to capacity control and can be used on any ticket (domestic or international) and most importantly you don't lose any FF benefits (miles and upgrades).
Old Jul 12, 1999, 1:20 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Best refused offer- On AA from Manchester, UK, going to JFK while changing in Chicago offered $1200 each (x2 for wife) on New Years day, about 10 years ago! My wife said she has to be there!

Best offer took- Also on AA to HNL via DFW. As we approached the airport traffic was backed up and I'd expected trouble due to flooding in Chicago! I noted our aircraft was due in from Chicago and was concerned. About a half hour before scheduled departure their was no plane. Amazingly the gate attendant announce an oversold condition and asked for voluteers. I ran over with my wife and quickly offered the both of us, which were accepted. No plane, no pilot, we were missing our connection and we were being bumped! We got First class all the way to HNL and vouchers for $400. Then a few minutes later a supervisor come over and scolded the attendent in a close whisper! I called the Sheraton Grand Dallas and made a reservation. Later AA even offered to pay for that! It made our lost day in Hawaii worth the hassle!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.